Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2013 12:12:40 PM EDT
I am looking hard at purchasing an inforce wml. My issue is I don't know if I should buy the multi function or the momentary only version. And if I do decide to buy the the momentary only version should I get the inforce modified by Haley strategic, which is upgraded to 200 lumens? Please help me decide. Pictures would be appreciated on a vtac alpha rail too.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a drawer full of lights but only a few stay on my guns----the WML is one of them.  Great little light

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Which model do you have?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I am leaning towards the  HSP wml. Any opinions on the multifunction over the momentary?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the HSP WML on my 870.

Having gone through multiple no/low light classes and many classes otherwise involving no/low light shooting plus living in the sticks where we shoot and practice at night, I say momentary only is the way to go. Mr. Murphy says that I don't have half the control I think I do and the wrong shit will happen at the wrong time unless it's "dumbed down" to purposely on or otherwise off.

The light is good, the beam is good for shotgun ranges (I have no experience outside 40 yards with this light), I love the switch ergonomics, and the weight is negligible at 3oz. I like that it uses one cell too.

For a frame of reference, I've had and currently have Surefire Scout lights, Mini Scouts, TLR1s, a TLR3, Polytacs, Malkoff M60 and M61 drop ins, and alot of the cool shit in lighting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Having gone through multiple no/low light classes and many classes otherwise involving no/low light shooting plus living in the sticks where we shoot and practice at night, I say momentary only is the way to go. Mr. Murphy says that I don't have half the control I think I do and the wrong shit will happen at the wrong time unless it's "dumbed down" to purposely on or otherwise off.

I agree with this, assuming you're going to be in a running gunfight.

However, I think that for the majority of scenarios, people are going to be better served with a light that has the ability to perform both momentary and constant on, depending on necessity of the application.

For example, if you are in a gun fight, you want the ability to "blip" or "strobe", i.e. using the light in short bursts.  However, once you've downed or cornered your target, you want to be able to keep the light on them, and possibly have a free hand to operate a radio or cell phone, without having your light turn off because your support hand is no longer on the weapon.

I'd highly recommend a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61, and either a Z41 tailcap (where you can rotate the tailcap if you need constant on), or even better yet add a XM07 tailcap which has both click switch and a place to add a pressure pad.  A Surefire Scout light is also an excellent alternative, which has a click switch, and you can either use it in stock form which throws like crazy, or add a F04 diffuser for a more dispersed beam, incredibly useful at close range.

JMO, and as always YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you expect to do with it?

No one light is all things to all people.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
It will be mounted on my cabine for home defense. From what I am reading I really think that momentary only is my best option.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Which model do you have?

HSP WML
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone know where to find a wml HSP in stock?
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I accidentally bought the momentary one.  I never knew there were such things as momentary flashlights, stupid hillbilly I guess.

I bought it from BCM and they would not help me at all.  They wanted to charge 15% for store credit and 25% to return it.  

I contacted Inforce and for $20 they changed it to the multifunction one.  The price I paid BCM and the $20 equaled what one would cost normally.  

I really like it.  If you hold the button in, it will be momentary on.  Press it once - high, twice - low, thrice - strobe.

It is not as bright as my Elzetta, but it weighs a lot less.

Recommend the the multifunction one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The multifunction has too much shit and the momentary just makes no sense.  Operating a rifle takes two hands sometimes and not having light during that time is a deal breaker.  Great idea, one of the worst executions.  Despite overwhelming support for a simple click switch supported by sound logic, they made a hyper-tacticool airsoft version and a simple version that is unusable during reloads, odd shooting positions, or using your offhand for anything but keeping your light on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]
So what do you recommend if you not like the inforce?
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Surefire Scout or 6P versions, Elzetta, any light that has a momentary AND click function without strobe.  You said your primary use of the carbine is for home defense and I just believe simple trumps all the modes available on the WML multifunction or the hindrance of the WML momentary.  You'll need to open doors, work locks, reload and other actions under stress.  You don't need to think about your light mode or do these things in darkness.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surefire Scout or 6P versions, Elzetta, any light that has a momentary AND click function without strobe.  You said your primary use of the carbine is for home defense and I just believe simple trumps all the modes available on the WML multifunction or the hindrance of the WML momentary.  You'll need to open doors, work locks, reload and other actions under stress.  You don't need to think about your light mode or do these things in darkness.

My Elzetta has high and strobe.  You select it by turning the tail cap.  You can leave it set for one or the other.  They are very, very bright and very durable.  Their price goes along with their quality.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got the momentary Inforce on my 870.  The only thing I don't like about it
is that it's hard to push the button.  It's so hard I don't see why it needs that loop to protect it.
The light output is perfect for indoor shotgun distances and it's very light.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
is that it's hard to push the button.  It's so hard I don't see why it needs that loop to protect it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8124/8654067416_000094a57c_c.jpg

Can you keep the flashlight lit and pump the shotgun at the same time?

I just don't get the need for a momentary function.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8124/8654067416_000094a57c_c.jpg

Can you keep the flashlight lit and pump the shotgun at the same time?

I just don't get the need for a momentary function.

Yes, easily.  If it was up to me I'd make it a click on click off with momentary on like my Surefire Fury.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got both versions and have found the momentary version to be much better. I found that when clearing buildings I would fumble with the different modes which would in turn break my concentration. "Simplicity is prerequisite to reliability." As far as getting the 200 lumen version, having lots of light is good sometimes. If you've ever been moving from room to room in near total darkness and you flash a super bright light on a white wall, mirror or whatever you instantly blind yourself. Just my experience. No pics sorry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the HSP version on my spikes midlength on a thorntail mount and it is really perfect for an HD role.  I actually like it so much I just bought another for my 870 tactical magpul.  Momentary only is the only way I would go.  Less risk of a light ND
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have the HSP version on my spikes midlength on a thorntail mount and it is really perfect for an HD role.  I actually like it so much I just bought another for my 870 tactical magpul. Momentary only is the only way I would go.  Less risk of a light ND

I think that is just dumb, but I guess that's why there are several options.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the HSP version on my spikes midlength on a thorntail mount and it is really perfect for an HD role.  I actually like it so much I just bought another for my 870 tactical magpul. Momentary only is the only way I would go.  Less risk of a light ND

I think that is just dumb, but I guess that's why there are several options.

Well, the thing is, when I want momentary only, I don't want to have to worry about hitting a switch just hard enough to actuate it without locking it on, or worry about making sure it is in the right mode or setting, and I especially dont want to have to worry about it under adrenaline.  I want something that works exactly how I expect no matter how hard I press the button and without thinking about it, at least for a primary light.  Of course, i also have a standard hand held tac light with constant on that I can use with my pistol as a secondary.  I just don't want it as a primary, and if I need constant on I just keep my thumb on the button.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top