Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2013 3:24:31 PM EDT
I just want a basic sling, are the USGI ones good? I've read that people go for the M14 ones instead, why is that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Magpul MS3 is $50. Can run it as a single or 2 point. How cheap you looking for?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a magpul ms2 from botach for 34.99. Seems pretty nice so far and can be ran as a single or two point.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]

You can buy that cheap ass chicom crap on e-bay for $20.  You see alot of magpul counterfit junk being sold there to.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
USGI slings suck, used them for years.

The sling itself always ends up working its way out of the buckle/adjuster things. Alot of us would adjust them to the right length and sew/tape them so they would be unable to work loose.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
USGI style is meh. Unless you shoot NRA highpower, or otherwise from a loop sling position, it is not the best choice.

Local sporting goods stores have Blackhawk extended length slings for $15 plus tax.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I go with VTAC mk2 padded sling for around $40. Seems to be ideal. It's a 2 to 1 point convertible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
2 point silent sling $7 amazon
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I go with VTAC mk2 padded sling for around $40. Seems to be ideal. It's a 2 to 1 point convertible.

I second this. Great sling.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#9]
in all honesty the good old 2 point sling does it for me. KISS
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just want a basic sling, are the USGI ones good? I've read that people go for the M14 ones instead, why is that?

The M14 slings are a better (cotton) web material than the newer nylon web slings.

For use as a rifleman's sling, either with both points on the rifle, or removed and looped (as they do in highpower competition) the USGI web sling is a great choice. If you are looking for something to play tactical with, it may not be what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the LaRue/VTAC sling as well.

+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Nylon GI web slings are GTG for carry and cuff-support, and Ive never had one slip.  I think I have 4 on various long arms.  I dont like them for tactical/3-gun/carbine classes (use a vtac 2-point for that)
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Magpul MS3 is $50. Can run it as a single or 2 point. How cheap you looking for?

I ended up getting a brand new green MS3 for $22 shipped on ebay. I don't like paded slings so I didn't want to go with the Larue. Thanks for the suggestions.

In case you guys are wondering, the seller is listing it as a real magpul in the add, and not a Chinese sling. It's shipping from AZ, not Asia.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ended up getting a brand new green MS3 for $22 shipped on ebay. I don't like paded slings so I didn't want to go with the Larue. Thanks for the suggestions.

In case you guys are wondering, the seller is listing it as a real magpul in the add, and not a Chinese sling. It's shipping from AZ, not Asia.

Bet you anything it is a counterfeit. I did the same thing about a year ago. I was thinking,  "how bad could they mess up a simple sling?".... Real bad. Both clamps are absolutely terrible. The locking mechanism flops around so you never know if you need to unlock it. The plastic D-ring is flexible. The stitching is poor. The sling frays very easily and it does not adjust with anything even resembling the ease with which a genuine MS3 can be manipulated. At the end of the day,  just go ahead a tack on an extra $22 to the the price of a genuine shipped MS3 because you'll end up picking one up shortly after owning one of the knock-offs.

One more thing... Was it really so hard to just cough up an extra $30 and order from a trusted source? If you have trouble answering that then you picked the wrong hobby.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you saying it will say magpul on it, but it's counterfeit? I made sure it wasn't shipping from China. I'll give you the add and you can take a look.

Ebay
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you saying it will say magpul on it, but it's counterfeit?

That is exactly what I am saying.

It two seconds looking at it:

It is not a real Magpul...Here is the title:

"MAGPUL PTS MS3 STYLE MULTI MISSION SLING RIFLE OR AIRSOFT FREE SHIPPING - GREEN"

I would wager that it is a counterfeit of the gear that Magpul licenses for Airsoft. So in other words, a knock-off of a toy (which is double bad).

Think about it. Why would someone sell something for less than they can buy it for at wholesale/dealer costs? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I learned the hard way. Next time skip three lunches and order up the real deal with the $ saved.

It is exactly the same as this (so actually you paid 100% more than the going rate for this sort of thing). These are $8.68 a piece.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Magpul-MS3-Sling-Hunting-Sling-Shooting-Rifle-Carry-Belt-Black-Green-Multicam-dark-earth-Desert/624523902.html

Now don't you feel double bad right about now? You thought you saved a bunch but in reality, you double-paid for a piece of crap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Boy, you sure do froth at the mouth knowing that someone else fucked up. You must be one of those people that reads the tabloids at the checkout stand and then feels better about himself knowing that other people are going through misfortune and suffering.

First off, I didn't jump on top of that deal without thinking. In the description it says brand: Magpul PTS. Only in this retarded world could someone get away with selling exact duplicates. "If it's too good to be true, then it's not" only holds true sometimes. I have gotten MANY good deals on authentic merchandise in the past on ebay. Sometimes people buy something, they don't like it, and then they get rid of it and call it a loss.

Here is a video that shows the differences.

Magpul MS3 comparison
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Boy, you sure do froth at the mouth knowing that someone else fucked up. You must be one of those people that reads the tabloids at the checkout stand and then feels better about himself knowing that other people are going through misfortune and suffering.

First off, I didn't jump on top of that deal without thinking. In the description it says brand: Magpul PTS. Only in this retarded world could someone get away with selling exact duplicates. "If it's too good to be true, then it's not" only holds true sometimes. I have gotten MANY good deals on authentic merchandise in the past on ebay. Sometimes people buy something, they don't like it, and then they get rid of it and call it a loss.

Here is a video that shows the differences.

Magpul MS3 comparison

I think you are taking this the wrong way. I don't feel one way or the other about it. I wrote what I did for the benefit of others that may be reading. On this site, sometimes the only way to really get a point across is to be overly-dramatic. I am also not reveling in anyone else's misfortune. If you pay close attention, you will notice I stated that I had previously purchased one of these knock-off slings. I apologize if I offended you. Point being, when you try to cut corners, many times you will end up paying more than if you would have just purchased the real deal to begin with.

Truth be told, for 90% of the people on this forum, the PTS crap would be fine. Its not like the sling is ever going to see any use anyway.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay, I understand. Any way, I will be getting a refund for the PTS. I'm sure it's an okay sling but I don't do Chinese (unless they're women), and I don't like how I payed double for it. Thanks for all the info you gave me.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top