Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2004 2:23:25 PM EDT
Walmart is now carrying Outer's patches that have 33% more patches per pack. That means 300 rifle patches for $4.82 and 200 shotgun patches for $4.82

Now here's the cool part:

If you cut the rifle patches in half (which makes them the right size), you get 600 patches for $4.82

But the shotgun patches can be cut in half twice to get the .30-.45 cal sized patch, which means you get 800 patches for $4.82, and that's less than a penny per patch.

The Outer's patches are like a synthetic material and I use these to clean the chambers after shooting. I do not use chamber brushes ever, and it cleans out the lacquer/sealant from Wolf ammo in chrome lined chambers with the greatest of ease.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I just go to a sewing supply shop and buy 100% double nap cotton flannel. it absords the best. I cut to size on a papper shearing machine.

hopes and outers patches i dont like.

pro shot, oxy-oak, dewey, are good cotton patches.

I never found a syn patch to work as well as good ol cotton
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The cotton is "too fibery" and always seems to leave behind fibers/strands. The synthetic stuff stays together and I never had a problem using them to clean the chambers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just go to a sewing supply shop and buy 100% double nap cotton flannel. it absords the best. I cut to size on a papper shearing machine.

hopes and outers patches i dont like.

pro shot, oxy-oak, dewey, are good cotton patches.

I never found a syn patch to work as well as good ol cotton

I agree 100%.I also prefer the cotton flannel.Buy it by the yard and its cheap...Cut to fit any bore when I need it.
I cant stand the cheap synthetic fiber patches.They just do not work for me at all.Kind of like cleaning with polyester fabic or nylon to me.
I will stick with the cotton material and cotton or wool bore mops.
For some quality cheap pre-cut cotton patches check out the Pro Shot bulk patches from Georgia Precision.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
i tried those from wal mart and still have a bag full.  they leave a mess load of strands and such all over
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 1:41:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. I have the exact opposite experience with cotton patches. I use cotton only to spit shine my boots but when i use cotton patches in my rifle, it leaves behind little cotton particles from where they are cut.

The only way for the Outers patches to break apart is if you hang it on a burr. I use it to clean the chambers (which are smooth) in my AR-15 and Vepr K. No complaints here. This is actually my third bag

I used to use it for the bore and I wouldn't find a speck of the patch material in the bore. With the cotton, I'd find the occaisonal particle or two from where the patch is cut. I just use a boresnake now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 2:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Met sounds like the cotton you had was single nap.  Weave or wale (i forget the right term) is real important in what your saying. I found the if there is a strand of cotton I'll remove from the patch before I use it, unless i am doing a wipe down of the outside.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 2:43:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you're right! The cotton patches I used resembled t-shirts or underwear material. It makes for a very tight fit into the chamber and bore, but it leaves behind strands of cotton just for normal use. The synthetic/Outers stuff only leaves behind fluff/material if you catch it on a burr. I have both types of patches.

I saw the USGI cotton gauze-type patches for sale at the supply store and they resembled cotton gauze with modified edges. Meijers also sold these type of patches.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Metroplex,
If you do not want to search through fabric stores,try some of the Pro Shot bulk patches I mentioned.They are cheap enough to use and are good quality.
www.georgiaprecision.com/cart/items/ProShot.htm
Like GK said if you see a loose thread pull it before use.The flannel material and Pro shot patches are heavy weave and double knapped.I also thump the patch before I use it to knock any loose nap off from cutting.
The cheap cotton bulk patches made of the stretchy cotton underwear or undershirt material trimmings does not compare.Same goes for the synthetic patches.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Kleenbore patches and don't have a problem with lint or fibers. Good patches.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
sherwin williams makes some damn good painter rags. very big. i have several of them been using them for years which were given to me by a painter who is an ar lover also. while i have yet to get through building my ar, the also make damn good mauser barrel cleaners.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Followed the link for the ProShot patches, and the first item (see below)shows 500 patches
for $500. WOW- must be a helluva material!!!
(Looks like they forgot a period after the 5)

SKU # Description Quan't Add to Cart
PS 3/4-500 3/4" Square Patch 500 CT $500
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I just tear all of mine off the roll of shoptowels.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownell's 1000 count:

546-100-223
.223 Mil Spec Patches   $13.42

546-100-030
.30 Mil Spec Patches   $24.47

084-068-003
1-3/4" 7mm-.38/.357 cal.   $22.92

084-068-002
1-3/8" .22-.270 cal.   $15.85

The great thing about these is they come in highly compact 'bricks' that are easy to store.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the Hoppes patches over the Outers. They last a little longer before they start leaving fuzzy stuff on the gun. The big bulk pack of the cotton flannel ones are my favorites though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I am using the Wally patches but seem to need a 2 to 1 ratio over other more absorbent brands. However they are 25% the price. Fabric shop is the best alternative as I run less through the bore.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#16]
My favorite are the Southern Bloomer patches. Very absorbent and little lint. Anyone know where to get these at a good price for the bags of 1000
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Everybody has there favorites. I personally like the Wal-Mart patches. They work just fine as well as others I have bought. I got some from Pro Shot that I liked. Picked up some military spec ones at gun show once. They worked ok but weren't as good as others I bought at gun stores.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]
The Walmart patches are pretty good for the price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just tear all of mine off the roll of shoptowels.

Those blue "shop towel" paper towels, or Scott's "Roll of Rags" seem to work fine for me.  You can cut them to whatever size you need, they're CHEAP (almost as cheap as regular paper towel), and they're pretty tough.

I use those quilted "cosmetic squares" for fancy spots that need a lot of solvent and elbow grease when/if indicated, but of course they don't go down the bore.  They DO go into both ends of the bolt carrier, though, and they get a lot of gunk out pretty quickly.  Not as cheap as shop towels, but very useful.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I just cut up a dead t-shirt
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top