Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2003 11:30:02 AM EDT
I recentely purchased a dpms dcm panther and in the box it came in there was a card sying not to shoot this ammo: 1.winchester q3131
                   2. "        "q3131a
                   3. Korean ammo
                   4. PMP
                   5. South African
                   6. Wolf
                   7. Norinco
I can understand the steel cased ammo but so far the only inexpensive ammo to shoot is Fed. eagle which I can only find here for $7.00 a box of 20. I can order it but the shipping and handling fees add another $15.00 to the price. Is anyone shooting anything inexpensive with this rifle? I know it's a match rifle but I still read about people using these and other cheap brands in their bushy varmiters, colt h-bars, olympic bull barrels, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You can shoot whatever ammo you want to through your rifle, it just may not shoot very well.  Most DCM rifles are made to be shot with match ammunition like Federal Gold Medal or handloads.  
I have to say though, practice with one type of ammo only, if you want to be good.  Don't switch from cheap stuff for targets to match ammo for serious stuff.  It doesnt work like that. [BD]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Black Hills blue box.

Match grade ammo, budget price.

Personally, I'd shoot whatever you want in that DPMS.... and just understand some cheap ammo might not extract as well, or be as accurate.  You aint gonna hurt it.

My ranges require HP/SP ammo, and the cheapest decent stuff I can find is Black Hills ammo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have tried the PMC and it would not extract the brass. The Fed. eagle brand shoots great through it. As far as the Winchester white box, the note from DPMS said it would cause accelerated fatigue on internal parts, and the brass may be oversized creating unsafe conditions. I'll probably just get a different upper or maybe look into reloading because ordering ammo gets expensive when these companies charge extra for the "ammo handling fee" and shipping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I did see the Winchester ammo at Wal-Mart but was thinking it was th same as the Q3131. I'll pick up some and try it out this weekend, thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Try ammoman.com too, he has a LOT of good ammo for a fair price.
-Marksman
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top