Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 1:24:46 PM EST
So I am in the middle of building my first AR, originally I was going to go all Aeroprecision but I found great deals that I just couldn't pass up.

What I have so far:
-Aeroprecision Lower
-Stag Lower Parts kit
-Stag milspec buttstock kit
-DPMS Bolt Carrier Group

Essentially all I need to do is build my upper to finish my build, so now the question is build from the ground up or buy a complete upper. I have an opportunity to buy a VLTOR MUR for around $100 dollars so that is definitely not making my decision any easier. If I don't get that I kind of wanted to get the aeroprecision M4E1 complete upper.
Also I was toying with maybe making it in 300 blackout if I build it. So if I build it I would need the barrel, gas system, flash hider, the various nuts and washers and a charging handle. I was hoping to do the upper for no more than 400 but the barrel looks like it will be the majority of my budget.

Please help, so many choices!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:32:19 PM EST
What is the purpose of this rifle?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:42:40 PM EST
Mostly just for fun like plinking and 3gun (not competitive or anything), but I would like it as an option for home defense or hunting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:52:41 PM EST
Home defense?
3 gun?

Spend the money on a good bolt and barrel.

Sell the DPMS or keep it as a spare.

Bravo Company uppers are highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:00:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 2:01:16 PM EST by King_Badger]
What would constitute a good BCG or barrel?
Also while those uppers look nice, the least expensive 16" goes over my budget by almost $300. My goal for the lower is to buy a complete lower for around $400 or not exceed $500 while building.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:08:47 PM EST
Since you already have a lower, just get this upper for $199 when it comes back in stock (or something similar), get a $20 charging handle from anywhere, install it with your DPMS BCG, and shoot the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:13:22 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By glockr:
Since you already have a lower, just get this upper for $199 when it comes back in stock (or something similar), get a $20 charging handle from anywhere, install it with your DPMS BCG, and shoot the crap out of it.
View Quote
They have better uppers for <$100 more, too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:58:09 PM EST
They aren't a bad deal, I was just looking for something more along the lines of a railed M4 look as opposed to an A2.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:00:36 PM EST
Could have got a complete lower from PSA for $150 and used the rest of the budget for a quality upper.

The bolt and barrel are the heart of the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:07:48 PM EST
I only spent 180 dollars on building the complete lower, I was just hoping to do a build for around 600. I would hit that price point if I get the aeroprecision upper but it's been out of stock for quite some time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:18:54 PM EST
This is the upper that I want. I might just have to wait until it comes back in stock because it looks like I can't really build it cheaper without skipping the free-float handguard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:35:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 4:36:24 PM EST by polymorpheous]
The gas port is HUGE on that barrel.
Lack of specs on bolt is shady.
edit:
Doesn't come with a bolt group or charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:42:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By polymorpheous:
The gas port is HUGE on that barrel.
Lack of specs on bolt is shady.
edit:
Doesn't come with a bolt group or charging handle.
View Quote

What does the size of the gas port do? I don't know much if anything about barrels or the gas system, all I know is my friends who have built their own have said stay away from carbine length for 5.56/.223 because it is apparently much more abusive on the internals.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:52:49 PM EST
I suggest you do some reading on how the AR operates.
Educate yourself!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:09:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 5:16:32 PM EST by King_Badger]
I know how the gas impingement systems work, I just looked around and most manufactures don't have the port diameter in their specs but apparently PSA has the same size and according to the "size charts" I have found say that the max size for a 16" with a 0.75 gas block is 0.086 gas port, min size of 0.070. It sits right in the middle of that zone so I don't see how it would be huge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:33:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 5:36:25 PM EST by polymorpheous]
Originally Posted By King_Badger:
I know how the gas impingement systems work, I just looked around and most manufactures don't have the port diameter in their specs but apparently PSA has the same size and according to the "size charts" I have found say that the max size for a 16" with a 0.75 gas block is 0.086 gas port, min size of 0.070. It sits right in the middle of that zone so I don't see how it would be huge.
View Quote

That information is wrong.
All of my Mid-length uppers are 16" and have .0625" ports.
These barrels all have a smaller port with less dwell time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:48:45 PM EST

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What is the manufacture for the barrel?
Also are you sure that's the size of the port, not a 0.625" gas block? (just trying to make sure we are using the same terminology)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:09:25 PM EST
This is the upper that I want. I might just have to wait until it comes back in stock because it looks like I can't really build it cheaper without skipping the free-float handguard.
View Quote

If that's the upper you want and it's in your price range, wait for it to come in stock. Simple. Don't settle on something you aren't going to be satisfied with long term just to get the build completed. Trust me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:49:38 AM EST

Also are you sure that's the size of the port, not a 0.625" gas block? (just trying to make sure we are using the same terminology)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Gas port, not gas block journal.
Barrels are Daniel Defense and Bravo Company.
Top Top