Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2003 5:55:51 PM EDT
Hi guys,

got a question for you. I picked up my brand new Rock River A2 from the gun store I ordered it from a couple of weeks ago. It's got a chromemoly "Wilson" (I don't think it's the same Wilson as Wilson Combat, right?) 20" barrel on it.

When I picked it up, in my rush to enjoy my new rifle, I took it to the range and put 40 rounds of Federal XM193 through it without break-in, (cleaning every couple of shots, etc...)

Think this will harm the bore?

I got (what I would consider) bad groups out of it but I am also getting used to the peep sight vs. the normal 1911-style sight picture.

I gave it a thorough swabbing at home, naturally. I am hoping I didn't damage the bore.

Thanks in advance.

jim
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you didn't damage the barrel.

You can "re-break in" a barrel. Check out this[url=www.snipercountry.com/hottips/Breakin.htm]link[/url]

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
You are correct, it is a different Wilson, not Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info and for setting my mind at ease!

jim
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't sweat it.  I've been shooting guns constantly for more than 40 of the last 50 years, and I never even HEARD about "barrel break-in" until Swat Sniper School came along.

In fact, every agency I ever worked for issued the guns out of the box and sent you to the range with them after wiping the packing/shipping gunk out of them.

Not to worry (I don't think).

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, I got a Rock River a couple months back and on the back of the warranty card it said that the barrel was already broken in and not to worry about it.

I got it as a complete rifle (16" HBAR, chrome moly), but I imagine their uppers get the same treatment.

jafager
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never seen any objective evidence that suggest barrel break in works.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top