Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2004 11:18:04 PM EDT
Hello...

I picked up a box of the 55gr SP ranger ammo and I was wondering if anyone uses this round?  I haven't done any tests on it to compare it to other rounds but anyone know what I can expect?

The website says that it is rapid expansion but what kind of damage can I expect in soft tissue?  A large low penitration cavity?  Thanks!  

Jared
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:30:58 AM EDT
I don't think most members here can get RANGER ammo.  It is LE only.  It's not illegal to have, but distributors generally won't sell it to Non LE customer.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:12:41 AM EDT
I don't know about ranger ammo but I won't use anything but Win. 55grn soft point in my M4.

My experience:
1. Fired from a 20" bbl, expect large, high penetration wounds at close ranges (anything inside 50yards). 80-125 yards, expect large, moderate penetration wounds. 125+ large low penetratration wounds.

2.Fired from a 16" bbl, expect large low penetration wounds from 0-100 yards.

note: all of my "soft tissue" targets were jack rabbits, so you figure two jack rabbits conjioned at the rib cage (siamese twin style) would probably equal the thickness af a moderatly sized human torso. In that case, fired from a 20" bbl, you'd probably get large, moderate penetration wounds on a human torso. Of course, the ranger ammo is probably loaded much hotter than civie ammo (just a guess).

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:19:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:36:05 PM EDT
But that data is for 50gr. He is talking about 55gr. And the Ranger ammo might give a bit deeper penetration.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:19:14 PM EDT
plus if you were shooting people wouldn't you want the biggest part of the wound cavity after about 6 inches of human.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE ARFCOM Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive one email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Only subscribers with a registered ARFCOM account are eligible to win.
Top Top