Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2004 10:18:04 PM EST
Hello...

I picked up a box of the 55gr SP ranger ammo and I was wondering if anyone uses this round? I haven't done any tests on it to compare it to other rounds but anyone know what I can expect?

The website says that it is rapid expansion but what kind of damage can I expect in soft tissue? A large low penitration cavity? Thanks!

Jared
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:30:58 AM EST
I don't think most members here can get RANGER ammo. It is LE only. It's not illegal to have, but distributors generally won't sell it to Non LE customer.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:12:41 AM EST
I don't know about ranger ammo but I won't use anything but Win. 55grn soft point in my M4.

My experience:
1. Fired from a 20" bbl, expect large, high penetration wounds at close ranges (anything inside 50yards). 80-125 yards, expect large, moderate penetration wounds. 125+ large low penetratration wounds.

2.Fired from a 16" bbl, expect large low penetration wounds from 0-100 yards.

note: all of my "soft tissue" targets were jack rabbits, so you figure two jack rabbits conjioned at the rib cage (siamese twin style) would probably equal the thickness af a moderatly sized human torso. In that case, fired from a 20" bbl, you'd probably get large, moderate penetration wounds on a human torso. Of course, the ranger ammo is probably loaded much hotter than civie ammo (just a guess).

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:19:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:36:05 PM EST
But that data is for 50gr. He is talking about 55gr. And the Ranger ammo might give a bit deeper penetration.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:19:14 PM EST
plus if you were shooting people wouldn't you want the biggest part of the wound cavity after about 6 inches of human.
Top Top