Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2003 8:34:06 PM EDT
Question: If the ban on assualt weapons isn't renewd does that also dismiss the ban on importing assuault weapons such as AKs, FALs, Sig 552s, and what about semi-auto versions of sub machine guns?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]No.[/b]

The 1994 AWB has nothing to do with the 1989 import ban.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[b]No.[/b]

The 1994 AWB has nothing to do with the 1989 import ban.
View Quote

Unfortunately! I wish that could sunset too....
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not an expert in any way, but there were several rifles imported between 89 and 94.  I believe the pre 89's had folding stocks and bayonet lugs, but the post 89's had fixed stocks and no bayonet lug.  I think most of the imported rifles were completely banned in 94.  So, in theory they could be imported again.  It would be nice because then the prices on AK's might go down a little more, and you could buy a new Hi-Cap that is all original foreign.

Except, I don't know if the AWB of 94 dealt with the importation of rifles though.  I thought I saw an article a while back that said that IMI was optimistically looking forward to the expiration of the ban, so it could sell more UZI's.  I guess we'll have to wait to see until then, or if someone else knows a little bit more that me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Can someone please enlighten me as to what the point of the 89 import ban was?

I mean I know that gun laws are stupid and useless, but there had to be some sort of twisted logic to this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe the '89 ban was in response to the Stockton schoolyard shooting... Some deranged whacko had an AK and shot killed multiple gradeschoolers...

"Jan. 17, 1989: Patrick Purdy, 26, armed with an AK-47 assault rifle, opened fire on a playground at a Stockton, Ca., elementary school. Five children died and 29 children and one teacher were wounded before Purdy killed himself."
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can someone please enlighten me as to what the point of the 89 import ban was?

I mean I know that gun laws are stupid and useless, but there had to be some sort of twisted logic to this.
View Quote

No logic, twisted or otherwise.. I am sure the lawmakers have some sort of reasoning for their decisions. ie. "They look evil" etc. etc.  Logic and gun laws are oxymoronic IMO...
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#7]
that really is too bad.  There are some interesting foriegn assault rifles.   A lot of the ones we have here are in crappy condition, I went to a local gun-shop and they had a pretty good collection of foreigners like a Daewoo K1, an Imbel FAL, some Chinese AKs, and a CETME.
Though he had a pretty good collection a lot of the rifles were in very used condition, and the AKs were $500 a piece.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
the Imbel FAL if all Imbel parts, is a quality rifle.
Anything with Century Arms International stamped on it would make me think twice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck on having the ban sunset when even bush is going to extend it. But I guess it could get worse. Maybe if Gore was elected. haha
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont mean to sound pessimistic but does any one have any evidence even of a slight chance that they will let the ban sunset. If you do I would love to see it, but as I see it we better get used to the way things are.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The ban has an automatic sunset provision.Unless there is something to replace it or extend it and a bill goes through both houses and ends up on the presidents desk to be signed before sept 14th 94 it will expire.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The ban has an automatic sunset provision.Unless there is something to replace it or extend it and a bill goes through both houses and ends up on the presidents desk to be signed before sept 14th 94 it will expire.
View Quote

True but what I am talking about is an extension bill or replacement bill with same prohibitions in order to pacify the left. It is very likely that this will be the case.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
The bills have to make it out of comittee first and through both houses and mjority leader tom delay in the house will not let them see the light of day,Thats why the democrats are staying away from the gun control issue they know it will mean losing elections as has been evident in elections over the last 4 years.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I pray you are right!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it will sunset!If a new bill ever makes it to the presidents desk it would be a no win situation for Bush,thats why his constituates in congress will never allow it to happen.This way if asked he can bullshit and say he will sign it if it makes to his desk,appeasing the liberals,knowing full well it never will.His buds in congress will shoot it down and take the heat for it cause they are not running for relection for another two years.Its all politics ,If bush signs a new bill he will not get relected,if he does not sign a new bill he does not get relected.simple solution for the Republicans,do not put him in that situation
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top