Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 6:20:56 PM EDT
I really want to order a Bushy dissipator upper  in normal ( pre-ban ) configuration. What if I ordered one before the outcome on Sept 14th?

Once that beautiful sunset finally shows itself would my dissipator be ok to come out of the safe!

Here's another question... In the event something unfavorable takes place on 9/14 would it not be wise to atleast get one more purchase in before the 14th? This whole thing just sucks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:30:40 PM EDT
I believe you would be legal if you do not put the preban upper on the postban lower.

BUT

I don't want to be a test case.  If you don't own at least one preban lower somewhere, and if the ATF got a wild hair up their butt, they could charge you with intent.  Even if you beat it you would be broke.

OTOH, the whole thing is a joke.  No one has ever been charged with this law.  It is just in the bag of tricks the ATF can use against someone if they want to.  Like if they raid the house of a guy who is dealing in firearms and find a few illegally modified rifles they can add that charge.  

You do what you want.  For myself, I am squeeky clean.  I have both pre and post ban rifles and not even alone in the privacy of my garage do I ever put a preban upper on a postban lower.  I think the law sucks but I do obey it.

 


Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2004 7:25:14 PM EDT by _DR]
Your best bet if you want to order a preban upper until it sunsets: Give to a trusted friend who has no AR or has a preban AR until it sunsets. Although unlikely it would ever be an issue, having a preban upper with only a postban lower in the house could be viewed as having an illegal semiautomatic assault rifle "in knockdown condition" which is mentioned in the GCA.

Extremely unlikely it would ever be a problem, as stated by others, but it could be interpreted as illegal.

Why take the chance?


Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:27:54 PM EDT
In the event something unfavorable takes place on 9/14 would it not be wise to atleast get one more purchase in before the 14th
View Quote


I feel the same way. That's why I finished my 9mm AR and plan on getting an AK47 before September... just in case. If I have extra money, I might get another stripped AR lower before September.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:34:17 PM EDT
Don't wait. Get it now. Keep your mouth shut until after the ban goes away. If something changes for the worse get a brake and make it perm.



Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:52:22 PM EDT
I understood the law as you can only have a pre-ban upper if you have NO other AR parts in the house.  Otherwise they can tag you with it even if you have a complete post-ban rifle in your closet and the pre-ban upper in the safe they can still get you.  My point is if you do not have a pre-ban lower you cannot have any pre-ban parts.  Just wait.  Besides the prices will go down in September so that is a plus and if it does not sunset you will be stuck with an illegal gun part.  Just my .02 cents though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:29:26 PM EDT
Gunzer, hedge your bets, but also do your [i]best[/i] to ensure that the AW ban dies & STAYS dead...

[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203989]The Essential "End the AW Ban" Contact List & Sample Letter Thread[/url]

[i]Together, we can make it happen!!![/i]


Top Top