Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2003 5:10:00 AM EDT
If you were to buy a pre ban what one would it be. what one do you think would keep the best value if the AWB does not get renewed? Colt sp1, gov`t carb. ect.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Definitely a Colt. If the ban is renewed, it will be the easiest to prove the pre-ban status of. If the ban is not renewed, then one of the rarer Colt models would still hold value as a collectors item.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you determine which of the Colt models are rare? I don't see anything but SP-1s for sale and they are absolutely everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You can view the various Colt models below. I do not know what the rare ones are, but there are members here that do.

[url=http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants]COLT VARIANTS[/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Id buy a Bushmaster that I confirmed was preban with Bushmaster before I bought it.  Its the closest to milspec and does not limit your future upgrades.  It also costs less than a Colt.  Oh wait, thats what I did. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd get(and hope to) a confirmed Bushie.  Can't go wrong there.

OlBoy
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy a Colt pre-ban just to have the A1 style lower to build a M16A1 clone.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I buy for quality of the weapon not for best resale.  I would buy Eagle Arms first, Bushmaster second, Colt before the sear block third, Colt after the sear block last.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Bushmaster.  I have one Bushy preban, wouldn't hesitate to get another.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How do you determine which of the Colt models are rare? I don't see anything but SP-1s for sale and they are absolutely everywhere.
View Quote

Rare Colts are:
"Colt AR-15 A3 Tactical Carbine" (they have a BD S/N prefix, there were only 134 made before the ban, there are less than 25 still NIB !!!)

"Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't. Carbine" (they have a GC prefix, many were made but the most collectibles are the ones meant for LEO use but were not stamped as such, these were the last of production & sold on civilian market & are full pre-ban config.)

"Colt Carbine" (no AR-15 stamping, there were 1616 of these made for export only, around 320 never got shipped out, less than 50 of these are still NIB)

those are the top 3 in my opinion !! there are others such as the nickel plated SP-1s, Cammo'ed AR-15 A2s & some AR-15s NIB with NIB .22 RF conversion kits, then the ones that left the factory with Colt scopes..., & STILL NIB !!!

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Rare Colts are:
"Colt AR-15 A3 Tactical Carbine" (they have a BD S/N prefix, there were only 134 made before the ban, there are less than 25 still NIB !!!)

"Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't. Carbine" (they have a GC prefix, many were made but the most collectibles are the ones meant for LEO use but were not stamped as such, these were the last of production & sold on civilian market & are full pre-ban config.)

"Colt Carbine" (no AR-15 stamping, there were 1616 of these made for export only, around 320 never got shipped out, less than 50 of these are still NIB)

those are the top 3 in my opinion !! there are others such as the nickel plated SP-1s, Cammo'ed AR-15 A2s & some AR-15s NIB with NIB .22 RF conversion kits, then the ones that left the factory with Colt scopes..., & STILL NIB !!!

View Quote

Don't forget any "White Label" Colts that have both the milspec fire control parts as well as the milspec front takedown pin holes.  Those are pretty rare as well, as xlose to milspec as an AR can get without having a happy switch.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The "best" pre-ban (or post ban) AR is the one that serves your needs best! it is a value inhernant beyond the mere dollar value of the piece. If you are a pure collector of firearms...ok...then $ may be your concern, but if you have any practical or recrational use for the rifle, then go with what you like and forget the rest ot it. I hate shooting a real rare firearm, and think they belong with a collector in a safe...mine belongs with me in the sand pit...or in the woods hunting coyote.
  Enjoy your rifle for what it is...perhaps rhe most practical and adaptable weapon ever created by modern technology. gw
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I buy for quality of the weapon not for best resale.  I would buy Eagle Arms first, Bushmaster second, Colt before the sear block third, Colt after the sear block last.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Rare Colts are:

View Quote

How does one tell which Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't. Carbines were meant for LEO but not marked as such as opposed to other GC prefixed ones?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately there were never any HESSE Prebans. [>(]
[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]
How about surplused out U.S. Property marked semi-autos? (AR-15 A-2's) As sold in the 80's by the NRC?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
How about surplused out U.S. Property marked semi-autos? (AR-15 A-2's) As sold in the 80's by the NRC?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I just did buy another preban.
Colt AR15A2 HBAR, an R6600.
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~s0ulzer0/pixx/ColtAR15A2.JPG[/img]

I sold my preban Colt 9mm Sporter Lightweight Blue Label and picked this thing up unfired for $1399.

I figured, even if the ban goes away for good, I didn't lose out too much against what a new
Colt costs anyway.
Plus, I forget what thread, but someone was speaking with a Colt Rep about what will come
out after the ban and was told Colt will not roll mark any new rifles AR-15.
So, I wanted at least one of my rifles to say AR-15.

I agree tho, never buy for "re-sale", I buy to shoot.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are concerned about future resale value, Colt, Bushy, Armalite.

If you are just looking for a pre-ban, get whatever is the best deal-that doesn't have a bad rep.
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Rare Colts are:

View Quote

How does one tell which Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't. Carbines were meant for LEO but not marked as such as opposed to other GC prefixed ones?
View Quote

=======================================================

those GCs were in full pre-ban config., i am not sure how many got out that way but i was told that the number was quite small, less than 100 ! & they are stamped "AR-15"

i am the one who said Colt will NEVER make another "AR-15", that comes directly from the factory, as Colt wants to protect it's Military contracts, civilian models will carry the "Sporter" stamping !!
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Any Colt stamped "AR-15" will be worth more than one stamped "Sporter" in spite of the large pivot.  One interesting variant not mentioned is the 6550 "Government Model" rifle, only made '88-89.

Eagle Arms prebans are sweet, as well as a verifiable Bushmaster, but the asking prices on those tend to be higher than others due to limited supply.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top