Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 5:35:34 AM EDT
Help me out if you can, I'm in thinking mode.

What mounts would you use to mount a 3-9 tactical scope to your flat top.  
I have some really tall millet rings that worked well for years but they are not quick release.
I prefer a quick release type so as to revert back to standard config. with A2 removable carry handle sometimes.

Your thoughts?
Tom
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Roger that and thanks, I'll look at that right now!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#4]
A more frugal alternative to the SPR is the Armalite 1-piece scope mount.  It sets the scope LOW.  It works fine if you like a low scope.  My Leupold VX-II 4-12x40AO works very nicely with this mount.  The mount is about $75, you can find some for less if you scour the EE.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#5]
ARMS 22L are the correct height for proper eye relief and I have used them on several guns over the years.  I also have a set of Leupold QRW rings and they absolutely SUCK...  these are the only ones I have used so out of these two... ARMS is great...  

The problem withe the Leupold QRW is that the Mil-Std-1913 rail is too wide for the weaver rings and they are a real bitch to mount and dismount...  I now use them on a shotgun...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Armalite is a good choice and if you have the $$ you can't go wrong with Larue.

Whatever you choose I would stick with a one-piece.  FWIW
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
ARMS Swan Sleeve with Badger rings.

ARMS throwlever with spacer is not high enough to clear your front sight post if you have one.  If no front sight post then, they work well.

FYI, I have a set of the throwlevers for cheap if you are interested.  IM me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Easy, the LaRue SPR scope mount is hands down the BEST mount available.  ....

That is what I'd do.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A more frugal alternative to the SPR is the Armalite 1-piece scope mount.  It sets the scope LOW.  It works fine if you like a low scope.  My Leupold VX-II 4-12x40AO works very nicely with this mount.  The mount is about $75, you can find some for less if you scour the EE.  MJD

What about the one from RRA?

They seem to be pretty cheap, but I would assume they are pretty decent (while not guaranteed for return to zero).

WIZZO

BTW, I think the retail for the RRA mount is about $48.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the one from RRA?

www.rockriverarms.com/images/mntsbs.gif

They seem to be pretty cheap, but I would assume they are pretty decent (while not guaranteed for return to zero).

WIZZO

BTW, I think the retail for the RRA mount is about $48.

I've seen folks use the RRA mount.  It sits up higher than the Armalite mount and can't move it quite as far forward.  I believe the rings are also spaced further apart on the Armalite.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Wizzo,
I prefer the Armalite version better, but the RRA is a decent one too (it looks like a copy of the 1st gen Armalite mount).

Before LaRue came on the scene, the Armalites were very highly though of.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like I want a LaRue mount.
Thanks for the help, they look pretty stout and I haven't heard a discouraging word about them.

Tom
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not sure what scope I am going to buy but, how big of a scope (size of objective lens etc.) will the Larue mount work with ? Does the scope extend back over the rear BUIS ? If so will it clear a Troy BUIS ?

I was thinking of getting one of the Leupold Tactical scopes but am not sure at this point.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent Hi jack, I should have asked about BUIS too!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help, they look pretty stout and I haven't heard a discouraging word about them.

Tom

As nice as the LaRue is, a set of Warne QDs would cast about 1/4 of the LaRue, just thought I'd mention that.

Between the Armalite and the RRA one piece mounts, I'd get the Armalite  if it will work with your scope.  The RRA is BIG and HIGH lol.  I just sold mine, mostly because of that.  It's well made, just too high for me.  

You dont' need to clear the FSB with a 3x scope...even at 3x, the FSB isn't an issue.  

One thing to think of is opting for a setup that allows rear BUIS like an ARMS 40L ,  instead of having to put the carry handle back on.  With the right scope set up, it can stay on the gun and always be zeroed for when you need it.   That would force you into higher rings though, and you couldn't get a scope with a huge eye.  The advantage is you won't have to carry another piece of gear that bangs around/takes up space, and *probably* won't return to absolute zero when you put it back on.  

My SHTF rifle has that setup...Aimpoint, with a flip up front sight, and the 40L in the back.  I have 2 scopes on high rings that I can use on that rifle if I need to grab something and go, and take care of CQBish tasks and precision stuff as well.  That's the theory anyway...it's worked great at the range so far

I'm all set for the zombie hordes now!  

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomhr

As nice as the LaRue is, a set of Warne QDs would cast about 1/4 of the LaRue, just thought I'd mention that.

Between the Armalite and the RRA one piece mounts, I'd get the Armalite  if it will work with your scope.  The RRA is BIG and HIGH lol.  I just sold mine, mostly because of that.  It's well made, just too high for me.  

You dont' need to clear the FSB with a 3x scope...even at 3x, the FSB isn't an issue.  

One thing to think of is opting for a setup that allows rear BUIS like an ARMS 40L ,  instead of having to put the carry handle back on.  With the right scope set up, it can stay on the gun and always be zeroed for when you need it.   That would force you into higher rings though, and you couldn't get a scope with a huge eye.  The advantage is you won't have to carry another piece of gear that bangs around/takes up space, and *probably* won't return to absolute zero when you put it back on.  

My SHTF rifle has that setup...Aimpoint, with a flip up front sight, and the 40L in the back.  I have 2 scopes on high rings that I can use on that rifle if I need to grab something and go, and take care of CQBish tasks and precision stuff as well.  That's the theory anyway...it's worked great at the range so far he

How good are the Warne's for returning to zero every time?

Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How good are the Warne's for returning to zero every time?

Thanks for the input

the one set I've really tried, about 1/4" at 100 yards.  I haven't done very extensive testing, though.  Basically, I dialed the scope in, shot a couple of groups, then took the scope off, put it back on, and shot another group.  

That may or may not be good enough, depending on what kind of shooting you're gonna do.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#19]
A quarter inch.   that's pretty good in my book. hmmmm
Thanks again.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top