Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 8:50:15 PM EDT
   Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue's office announced Wednesday that the city is receiving $300,000 from the OneGeorgia Authority to help Sterling, Va.-based Heckler & Koch Defense open a plant in Columbus.

Nearly two years ago, H&K announced plans to construct a $20 million manufacturing facility in Muscogee Technology Park off Macon Road. The 100,000- to 150,000-square-foot plant would sit on 40 acres in the 1,500-acre park and employ more than 200 people.

The company, however, is still working to land a huge federal contract to make the XM8 assault rifle for the U.S. military. On Thursday, H&K said the $300,000 OneGeorgia grant will go toward the purchase of a 13,000-square-foot former Cessna facility in Columbus East Industrial Park. The company would not discuss how many jobs the smaller plant might create.

"This facility will serve as the warehouse, distribution, assembly and design center for HK Defense operations in North America," H&K President Peter Simon said in a statement. "To accommodate the special logistical and security requirements of HK Defense, the building will need several modifications, which will be made by local firms from the Columbus, Ga., area. We continue to hold an option on the original factory site."

Fryer said he anticipates working with H&K starting in July to begin hiring people to get the downsized plant operating. The pay range for some jobs will be $9 to $12 an hour, he said.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
So they're just going to turn it into a shipping plant instead of a manufacturing plant?

Ehh, oh well.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
wow that pay rate sux for what they charge for the weapons I make more than that and live in WV
way less money flow's here im sure of it and if that is considered good down there I may just move
with my savings
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You know, one good thing may come out of it.
I'd just as soon have H&K pistols continue to be made & Proofed in Germany as they have always been.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd just as soon have H&K pistols continue to be made & Proofed in Germany as they have always been.

H&K's pistols will be distributed and serviced in Alabama.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Where in Alabama?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Guess this is HK's way of pissing on the reps in that district for not pushing the XM8 through. Fair decision on HK's part, with no contract they have zero motivation to invest in new facilities. Unless of course they ramped up domestic civilian long gun sales, which doesnt look likely
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
wow that pay rate sux for what they charge for the weapons  

BIG +1
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

H&K's pistols will be distributed and serviced in Alabama.

Don't care where they are distributed or serviced, but everytime American unions start manufacturing a high quality product that was previously imported, like Sigs or Toyotas, the quality invariably goes down.

Swiss Chocolate should be made in Switzerland, Italian sports cars should be made in italy and German pistols should be made in Germany.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone notice in the last Ranger competition, the pistol portion was shot with an USP??

Wow, is that true?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
That plant had nothing to do with the HK 416. Chances of civilans getting the 416 remain the same.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That plant had nothing to do with the HK 416. Chances of civilans getting the 416 remain the same.

I assume Variablebinary was referring to the U.S. plant and possible production as a way around the new ATF barrel import rules. Nobody knows for sure yet how this is going to play out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Guess this is HK's way of pissing on the reps in that district for not pushing the XM8 through.

I am glad it did not get pushed through.  A good weapon would not have to be pushed through in my opinion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top