Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2015 9:10:44 PM EDT
My neighbor's youngest son just enlisted, and wants to build his first rifle, using the stripped lower I gifted his dad a few years back. My first reaction was to suggest building an M4 clone, but he wants something a little more updated. Longer forearm, flip sights or red dot, the usual stuff. I've been offering advice, but I haven't built a rifle in years-KAC has been nice enough to put together my last two rifles for me-and I want him to get the best possible gun that he can for his money.

So the question is, you've got a G and a lower. Your goal is range fun under a hundred yards, and to practice with an AR as much as possible before January. What would you build?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well first off, go get one of the $200 Larue barrels before they're gone.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I know you asked for a build but I hope this isn't to "train" before he goes to basic. My advice is to not do that as the military will do that for him and there's nothing like a enlisted who thinks he knows everything there is before the instructor utters his first words.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Del-Ton midlength lightweight kit, magpul furniture and spend the rest on hookers and blow . . . or ammo . . .
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Form 1 SBR would be first
Then psa 10.5 upper
Psa lower parts kit and stock and tube
Aim bcg
Profit
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know you asked for a build but I hope this isn't to "train" before he goes to basic. My advice is to not do that as the military will do that for him and there's nothing like a enlisted who thinks he knows everything there is before the instructor utters his first words.
View Quote

Yeah, I had that fear too, but I think this is more just for fun and getting used to the platform. He's always loved shooting mine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Then psa 10.5 upper
Aim bcg
Profit
View Quote

He's 18, pretty sure that's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Block 2 clone and Grab one of those surefire cans that are on sale with a cc
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Would a block 2 clone be possible for under a grand?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely....sans the optics, but buis would work
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Details on on sale surefire cans please.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arms unlimited. SF RC cans for $799+ free shipping! Sorry, didn't mean to derail op
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Arms unlimited. SF RC cans for $799+ free shipping! Sorry, didn't mean to derail op
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm stuck with legacy mounts because I have a legacy suppressor and they announced the socom line about 5 months into my 9.5 month wait.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Go buy a colt and get to shooting.

If he wants to build it there will be a frenzy of sales this weekend
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then psa 10.5 upper
Aim bcg
Profit

Why does his age matter? At 18 he's good to go. A 10.5 would be a lot of fun, and PSA has them for pretty cheap. You could probably build a Mk18 clone for close to $1k if you already have the lower.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Grab a NIB Colt 6921 upper with a pinned A2X =$650 and a Knights ras rail=$100
LPK and LMT sopmod stock = $150
Block 1 clone
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, misread the OP.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#17]
20" A2  with a Windham Weaponry barrel and a high end BCG
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even with Block 2 irons? That seems unlikely, not that he would care.

Still, $900+ upper, $130 stock and lower parts kit, $100 sights. Is there anything better than that?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why does his age matter? At 18 he's good to go. A 10.5 would be a lot of fun, and PSA has them for pretty cheap. You could probably build a Mk18 clone for close to $1k if you already have the lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then psa 10.5 upper
Aim bcg
Profit

Because there's no way an 18 year old six months from boot is going to spend time or energy on a trust

Trust me, this was the first thing I suggested. He wants this thing built yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My neighbor's youngest son just enlisted, and wants to build his first rifle, using the stripped lower I gifted his dad a few years back. My first reaction was to suggest building an M4 clone, but he wants something a little more updated. Longer forearm, flip sights or red dot, the usual stuff. I've been offering advice, but I haven't built a rifle in years-KAC has been nice enough to put together my last two rifles for me-and I want him to get the best possible gun that he can for his money.

So the question is, you've got a G and a lower. Your goal is range fun under a hundred yards, and to practice with an AR as much as possible before January. What would you build?
View Quote

I just did this very thing.

For my $1000 I got a 6.5 Grendel upper, 1000 rounds of Wolf steel case ammo, and 10 mags.

Ammo is here, upper due tomorrow, and the mags on Wednesday.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Still, $900+ upper, $130 stock and lower parts kit, $100 sights. Is there anything better than that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some really good sales going on this weekend....Ayan has the KAC front sights at $170ish right now and there are great deals on the EE.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#22]
He knows that they will issue him a rifle right?
What branch?  What rating / MOS?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Because there's no way an 18 year old six months from boot is going to spend time or energy on a trust

Trust me, this was the first thing I suggested. He wants this thing built yesterday.
View Quote

Just some food for thought....after he graduates basic/boot he's not going to be able to take this rifle with him.  He'll have to find someone to store it with, preferably off post, or get a storage locker (also off post).  Keeping a POW in a unit arms room is a PITA, and he's a fool if he tries to keep it in his car or barracks room.  

Since you're giving a pretty awesome gift, get a PSA upper kit w/BCG ($400-500) add in a detachable carry handle or BUIS ($50-150), a 6 pack of mags ($50-75), and a case of ammo.  Take him and his dad out shooting a few times before he goes, don't try to teach him anything extra, just the basics.  No need to teach him a habit he'll have to possibly unlearn once he gets to training.  

<ETA> Not near as tangiable as a gun, but you could build the gun and put the rest into a Roth IRA for him...kinda a better gift in the long run actually.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Used KAC legacy or Mod1 upper from EE.  Basic Lower built kit. Either magpul buis or save up for aimpoint/eotech
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He knows that they will issue him a rifle right?
What branch?  What rating / MOS?

View Quote

He literally just enlisted in the Army yesterday, and he knows they will issue him something or other.

As to the rest of it, I'd be surprised if he even knew at this point, and I certainly have no idea.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Go buy a colt and get to shooting.

If he wants to build it there will be a frenzy of sales this weekend
View Quote

Smart man right here.

Buy all tools required to put uppers snd lowers together which i doubt he has.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]

PSA Freedom Series (1:7) Twist in the barrel, should offer bullet stability over a variety of ammunition.  The cost is VERY reasonable, as the firearm world goes.  Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of bigger names, and bigger priced weapons platforms out there, but I've really enjoyed mine.  Not a single issue with nearly a 1,000 rounds.  Just my .02. Best of luck, and thank your neighbor for his service!

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#28]
11.5" BCM upper and tax stamp to SBR. Suppress as soon as funds allow. Actually what I'm working towards now, hehe.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top