Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2005 8:11:52 AM EDT
If you could only have one currently available AR15, which one would it be and why? Please include manufacturer, model number, barrel length etc.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Doc glad to see you here.

If I could only pick ONE, and if it had to be from an off-the-shelf configuration and non NFA - I'd go with the Colt LE6920

Reasons:
1) It's a Colt (best QC, very reliable)
2) Flattop - allows options for sighting gear
3) Carbine - easier to use in confined spaces
4) 16" barrel - good combination of compactness while retaining decent MV (and the fact you can't get the Colt 14.5" barrels with permanent Vortex's or Phantoms from the factory).
5) M4 type profile for light weight (carbine is less than 6lbs)
6) Telestock - to allow me to adjust the LOP to what I need.

Personally I'd prefer the above carbine with a Lightweight profile barrel (to save even more weight) ; but it seems Colt doesn't offer their LW with a flattop.

A Bushmaster M4gery with their 'A3' upper and their 14.5+Phantoms SC1 or SC2 would be a close 2nd choice.

Those would be my choices for an 'off the rack' AR-15.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably an LMT upper with M4 configuration.  Either RRA NM triggered lower or Bushmaster lower.

LMT is just as good as a Colt without the high price.  I know LMT have nice lowers with 2 stage triggers but it more expensive then a RRA NM setup.  I haven't used an LMT 2 stage trigger but I hear that they are very nice.  

This setup is about $800-900 and would be just as good as a $1300 setup.  The extra money could be used on optics like an ACOG.

But if money isn't an option...MRP.  But I live in a world where money is an option.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I would take the LMT MRP with a 14.5" barrel and Magpul M93 telestock. Reasoning follows:

- 1/7" twist and crome lined bore
- Very compact and clean looking, I like short carbines
- Integral railsystem, no need to get aftermarket parts
- Continuous top rail makes mounting all sorts of optics with all sorts of mounts very easy
- Different setups available by swapping barrels
- It looks GREAT, just check out the photo at MilitaryMorons.com!  Well, that's shorter than 14.5" but you get the idea.

www.militarymorons.com/weapons/img/mrp11.jpg
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#4]
my LE6920,  kicks butt and it's pretty!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would take the LMT MRP with a 14.5" barrel and Magpul M93 telestock. Reasoning follows:

- 1/7" twist and crome lined bore
- Very compact and clean looking, I like short carbines
- Integral railsystem, no need to get aftermarket parts
- Continuous top rail makes mounting all sorts of optics with all sorts of mounts very easy
- Different setups available by swapping barrels
- It looks GREAT, just check out the photo at MilitaryMorons.com!  Well, that's shorter than 14.5" but you get the idea.

www.militarymorons.com/weapons/img/mrp11.jpg

Please kill that pic Humminbird, it's causing a userid/password prompt to pop up on my screen from www.militarymornons.com or something.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster 14.5" M4/A3
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Not meant to hijack this thread, what would you get in the 20" bbl length?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Please kill that pic Humminbird, it's causing a userid/password prompt to pop up on my screen from www.militarymornons.com or something.

Me too.  Kill the pic...

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
type

MM
MM
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
6920, becuase i cant own one in CT
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  Kill the pic...

+3
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]
+ whatever, that pop up sucks, I shall never return!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Truly sorry for that popup, didn't realize it would appear here in the forums too. My bad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently asked myself that same question and after some research both on this board and with visiting with Denny at Global Tactical, I decided on an LMT.  LMT Defender lower, LMT 1/7 16" M-4 upper with a LMT BUIS, Daniel Defense 9.5 free float handguard, tango down vertical foregrip, Aimpoint M2 with Arms #22m68 with cantilever.  It is sweet.  Technically you have to purchase the uppers and lowers separately, but I picked mine up together from Denny.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Rifle length MRP with 16" SS barrel in 5.56, and maybe down the road, as they become available, additional 16" barrels/ appropriate bolts for 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39,  LW.499, and any other fun calibers LMT decides to possibly grace us with.

BTW-The popup is so you won't steal bandwidth from Military Morons site by placing pics elsewhere, linked back to their page--Guess it works
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Adco SPR clone using RRA upper and lower, WOA SPR barrel, M4 stock, Leupold 3-9x40 scope and GG&G BUIS. Great long range capability yet still good for close in work.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If I could only pick ONE, and if it had to be from an off-the-shelf configuration and non NFA - I'd go with the Colt LE6920

Reasons:
4) 16" barrel - good combination of compactness while retaining decent MV (and the fact you can't get the Colt 14.5" barrels with permanent Vortex's or Phantoms from the factory).

Personally I'd prefer the above carbine with a Lightweight profile barrel (to save even more weight) ; but it seems Colt doesn't offer their LW with a flattop.

A Bushmaster M4gery with their 'A3' upper and their 14.5+Phantoms SC1 or SC2 would be a close 2nd choice.

I agree with that man 100%. Also the 1/7 twist allows for stabilizing heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Reasons:

Does anyone know where I can get either of the above? This way I can have shipped to my FFL here in Florida.
What is a Phantom SC1 or SC2?
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
LMT Carbine MRP, SBR the lower.  10" and 16" barrels in the case.

Both in both 5.56MM and 6.8SPC, Have the 5.56MM in 16", just need the rest.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you could only have one currently available AR15, which one would it be and why? Please include manufacturer, model number, barrel length etc.

It would be the one I put together myself from parts I thought were the best for the purpose to which the weapon would be used.

You have to decide - it will be your gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can get either of the above? This way I can have shipped to my FFL here in Florida.

That is the problem - both Colt and Bushy are going nuts trying to fill orders and those are very popular models.

SAW should have the Colt, but brace yourself for sticker shock.

What is a Phantom SC1 or SC2?
Thank you!

The Phantom is YHM's answer to the Vortex Flash supressor.  Its longer than a standard FS (so you can use it with a 14.5" barrel).  It is 2nd only to the Vortex for non-NFA flash supression (and it's a very close 2nd).  The Phantom is also closed on the end (like the A2) and does not have open tines.

The 5C1 & 5C2 are the newest versions of the Phantom.  They have a closed bottom (like the A2 FS) so they won't kick up as much dust when you are shooting from the prone position.  The 5C1 has a smooth end (like the A1 & A2 flash supressors); while the 5C2 has an evil looking jagged end - kinda like a backup impact weapon.  

5C1:

5C2:
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#23]
14.5 stainless heavy barrel, 1/7 twist, wylde chamber
A3 upper, chrome lined carrier, rra dcm legal trigger
1/4 minute sights windage and elevation
knights ff ras
crane stock
phantom flash hider
match sights
hogue grip
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you Forest for all your help and suggestions!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I have not seen a Colt 20" govt. profile rifle for sale lately and I am a buyer. May have to purchase a blue lable gun stashed for the ban.  My favorite.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thank you Forest for all your help and suggestions!!

We all say that
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have not seen a Colt 20" govt. profile rifle for sale lately and I am a buyer. May have to purchase a blue lable gun stashed for the ban.  My favorite.

Getting hard to find Colt 20" gov profile rilfes uppers for sale now days ... might be best to find some NIB set back for the ban.   I found it a project to pick up a couple Colt 20" gov (A2) profile barrels/uppers in the last year (one was a barrel w/o FSB that was ~new for a project using the PRI front sight that I found on a local dealers shelf and the Colt A2 upper that took a few years to take Jennie into digging out of Dennis's stock (had a spider web in the barrel  ... but was a nice early Colt gray to match the M16A1

Other option is call SAWLESALES.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah... I'm digging that LMT MRP... so sweet. Has to have either a Magpul or Ace M4 stock on it. Hogue grip, and some sort of groovy scope... probably a baby ACOG because it's so far beyond my budget like everything else listed here. Oh and don't forget the Surefire m900... Check please.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Reasons:

A Bushmaster M4gery with their 'A3' upper and their 14.5+Phantoms SC1 or SC2 would be a close 2nd choice.Those would be my choices for an 'off the rack' AR-15.

Forest,

I checked Bushmaster's website. Their 14.5" barreled M4/A3 has a permanently installed IZZY flash suppressor. The ones with a removable bird cage flash suppressor are 16" barrels. Which model has a 14.5" barrel that has a removable flash suppressor so I can use 5c2 as you suggested?

Thank You!

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry. I should have looked further. I now see the 5C1 is an available option at Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I already have mine, LMT MRP CQB 16 inch Chrome lined, LMT Lower with SOPMOD stock, Aimpoint in Larue mount.Troy BUIS, TD vert grip, TD pistol grip.Waiting for Aimpoint 3.5X magnifier.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sorry. I should have looked further. I now see the 5C1 is an available option at Bushmaster.

It seems since I last looked at Bushy's website - then went from the Phantom as standard to the Izzy (probably because they make the Izzy in house so it's cheaper for them).  I have no experience with the Izzy so I won't recommend the M4/Izzy combo - and if you have to order it special for the 5C1 then its no longer an 'off the rack' model (and if you're going custom there are several more 'options' I'd reccomend).

The 16" "Patrolman's Carbine" is very similar to the Colt 6920 - if the Phantom isn't available as 'stock', then the Bushy Patrolman would be my 2nd choice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe MR. Stoner's first full AR, other wise, I would have to say current millitary production, Knights amrs M4, with all the goodies, then a 12 gauge underneith the barrel. hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#34]
KAC SR-15 w/ URX, it is something unseen in Finland and will propably be forever.

MN
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#35]
16" MRP
Magpul Stock
Magpul Grip
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'd go with 18" and 14.5" (with vortex) barrels and the rifle length MRP myself...  just scaled up a little for a guy with long arms and lots of range to cover

Part of the beauty of the AR15 system is swappable upper/lower groups and all the parts... if you could have more than one upper one could have a couple of very nice uppers for the price of the MRP and extra barrel and I'd probably piece those together, an 18" SPR-ish rifle and a 14.5 or 16" shorty.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#37]
A1 model/style. All I need.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Other option is call SAWLESALES.

He is the guy who passes off fake Vortex flash hiders, correct?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Took Forest's advice, I'm going with a Colt LE6920.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Funny, before I read this post, I was thinking about which of my rifles I would keep if I had to give the rest up for financial reasons or otherwise.  Didn't take long to pick my RRA M4/A3 with telestock and light under the handguards (chrome lined).  If I could have a 2nd, it would be my Bushy 20" A3.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#41]
ANY AR?  MRP carbine with magpul furniture.

On my budget?  My LW 16" mutt:

M&A LW Barrel (yeah yeah)
RRA Lower
LAR A3
VLTOR Clubby
LT mounted M2L
LT BUIS
Burnsed sling loop
and an armful of 30's with Magpul Rangers
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#42]
This one, cept with a 14.5" barrel (inbound) and Vortex, and the Aimpoint 3.5X magnifier. The 16" SS barrel will get a magnified optic of some kind and a TD bipod (when they're available).

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:14:03 AM EDT
[#44]
My one AR pick would be a Bushmaster 20" Govt profile, flattop upper with an EoTech and Arms #40 BUIS.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine would be an ultra light CQB gun: Bushmaster Carbon 15 97S (latest version) pistol converted to an SBR with an HK91 style grip, basic (lightest) vertical grip one the under rail and Eotech 552.  Should be able to take pics of it once its created no later than mid-February.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#46]
The Leitner-Wise 5.56C series carbine. Gas piston, all M4, and runs under any condition- the real reason why HK is dead in the US.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Truly sorry for that popup, didn't realize it would appear here in the forums too. My bad.

the password prompt popped up because the image was hotlinked from my site - something i specifically asked people NOT to do as stated on every page:
ATTENTION! PLEASE DO NOT LINK DIRECTLY TO MY IMAGES -
IT RESULTS IN MY BANDWIDTH ALLOCATIONS BEING EXCEEDED,
AND MY PAGES GO DOWN. THANKS!

you can post a text link to the image, but don't hotlink to it please.
that being said, i'd go with the LMT MRP as well.  
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This one, cept with a 14.5" barrel (inbound) and Vortex, and the Aimpoint 3.5X magnifier. The 16" SS barrel will get a magnified optic of some kind and a TD bipod (when they're available).

tinypic.com/17egpj

-Cap'n

Yeah something like that  I think I'd get the Crane stock myself though.  What kind of grip is that?  Been intending to try some different grips, just hate to spend enough to reequip all my ar's
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/17egpj

-Cap'n

Yeah something like that  I think I'd get the Crane stock myself though.  What kind of grip is that?  Been intending to try some different grips, just hate to spend enough to reequip all my ar's

The grip is a TangoDown battlegrip. It's simple, and very robust. I've replaced all of my other gripd with them.

I might have a LMT Crane stock in my future, but for a different MRP build... The VLTOR clubfoot stocks are my favorite though.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Colt 6520

Lightweight, simple AR  and it's a Colt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top