Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:39:51 AM EDT
It's all in the title. Reasons why would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Josh
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about sound suppressors, I would recommend the SRT Hurricane, as it is one of the top 5.56 suppressors on the market and also one of the cheapest-priced ones. I paid less than $500 for mine new.

More expensive doesn't always mean better quality.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
i like my aac m42000 but the propriatory flash sup /addaptor sucks at 95 a pop
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick reply. It would be a sound suppressor. I am looking for the quietest can that I could possibly find. Size of the can is not going to be the determing factor. Thanks again
Josh
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with a Gemtec Halo for the simple reason of it's ease of attaching to multiple guns and the companies stellar reputation for customer service.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Visit: www.silencertests.com

Trust me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I went with a Gemtec Halo for the simple reason of it's ease of attaching to multiple guns and the companies stellar reputation for customer service.
Pat
0-1-25

When I get around to picking one up, this is the one I want.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Trust me.hr

Thanks for that site. Great stuff on there!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pat
0-1-25

Excellent all around choice, but I suggest you you buy a peelwashers and A1 flash hiders for all the rifles you'll be using it with.

why?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me.

Thanks for that site. Great stuff on there!

Don't thank me, thank Robert Silvers (the owner).  If you have any questions, you can contact Mr. Silvers via IM; his username here is rsilvers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OPS INC 15th Model, should have them in about a month.

yeah..... i am gonna have to go ahead.... and go with this one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pat
0-1-25

Excellent all around choice, but I suggest you you buy a peelwashers and A1 flash hiders for all the rifles you'll be using it with.

why?

The HALO will not work with a crush washer.  This is because the HALO needs some "neck" at the back of the FH to grab onto, and a crush washer diminishes or completely removes any area for the HALO to grab onto.

An A1 or A2 with or without a peel washer will work though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there ANY way to get a Halo to work with a Phantom 5C1?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is there ANY way to get a Halo to work with a Phantom 5C1?

While I have no first hand experience with one (yet ), I think everything I have read and learned points to only FH like the A1 or A2 working.  The YHM Phantom and SE Vortex seem to be too long to work with the HALO, even though I think their diameter is within limits.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Since I don't have any one of them yet, I would get one of each.  Then I would compare them for myself and decide.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#17]
If you truely want the quietest, then you would get a large/long one. Maybe a Hurricane XL. Maybe a long SoundTech.

But I would ask if you are sure you want the 'quietest' or the most accurate, most durable, easiest mounting, etc.

I happen to like the M4-2000, Surefire, KAC M4-QD, and Yankee Hill the best.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Surefire, 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pat
0-1-25

why?

The HALO will not work with a crush washer.  This is because the HALO needs some "neck" at the back of the FH to grab onto, and a crush washer diminishes or completely removes any area for the HALO to grab onto.

That, and you dont have to worry about indexing the A1

Never thought of it from that angle.  Nice.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]
The AAC OMNI might work with a crush washer.

I don't like closed-bottom flash hiders anymore. I used to, but between the required indexing, possible reduction in accuracy, and small reduction in flash hiding ability I don't care for them. Others that I trust are saying the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:10:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pat
0-1-25

why?

That, and you dont have to worry about indexing the A1

Never thought of it from that angle.  Nice.  

I have a Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine and have done nothing to the barrel or FH. Am I going to need to do anything to it for the HALO to work?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd get the Knight's M4QD.  The reason is I just love the looks of it and the quality is good.  I know there are cheaper possibly even better ones out there but i just fell in love with this on the first time I saw it.  Most of the accessories I buy are KAC for consistancys sake.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#26]
They should redesign it to work on any A2 flash hider -- crush washer or not. I thought the point of it was that you could pop it onto any A1/A2 without gunsmithing.

It seems that the people who buy HALOs are perfectly willing and able to change flash hiders -- and in fact often need to in order to remove the crush washer. They are buying it to save the $90 of an M4-2000 or BiLock flash hider. It has gone from (in my mind) a versatile solution that worked on any standard rifle to an economy solution to save some money at the expense of mounting/dismounting speed. If you want economy and good performance as well as speed, the Yankee Hill is excellent.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Where can I find info on the YHM sound supressors?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine and have done nothing to the barrel or FH. Am I going to need to do anything to it for the HALO to work?
www.hunt101.com/img/370181.jpg

replace the crush washer with the supplied peel washer.

Thank you. A supressor isn't in my near future, but it's nice to know what to expect.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/SilencerWeb.jpg

Is that the flash suppressor that you accused Gemtech of ripping off?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I was referring to a Phantom in general, but yes.

Here is the Gemtech:

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They should redesign it to work on any A2 flash hider -- crush washer or not. I thought the point of it was that you could pop it onto any A1/A2 without gunsmithing.

It seems that the people who buy HALOs are perfectly willing and able to change flash hiders -- and in fact often need to in order to remove the crush washer. They are buying it to save the $90 of an M4-2000 or BiLock flash hider. It has gone from (in my mind) a versatile solution that worked on any standard rifle to an economy solution to save some money at the expense of mounting/dismounting speed. If you want economy and good performance as well as speed, the Yankee Hill is excellent.

I don’t follow your logic Robert.  I wouldn’t need the thing to work on every AR ever made, I just need it to work on the ones I own.  I my case that’s three, so by going with the HALO I’d save $180.00, assuming the other cans come with at least one of their special mounts.  And I’m not cheap, I’m … um… fiscally cautious.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Right -- you are the kind of guy I see buying the HALO.

That is fine -- it is just not what I thought the HALO was for, so I am 'readjusting' in my mind what the purpose of it is.

I thought it was so that an army could buy a few and use it on any gun they had without gunsmithing work of any kind. Or you could buy one and pop it on any of your friend's rifles.

It turns out that guys like you are buying them to save money on special-purpose dedicated flash hiders.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Right -- you are the kind of guy I see buying the HALO.

That is fine -- it is just not what I thought the HALO was for, so I am 'readjusting' in my mind what the purpose of it is.

I thought it was so that an army could buy a few and use it on any gun they had without gunsmithing work of any kind. Or you could buy one and pop it on any of your friend's rifles.

It turns out that guys like you are buying them to save money on special-purpose dedicated flash hiders.

Well, I'm glad I could help you figure it out.  By the way, I don't think changing a washer is considered gunsmithing, but I guess some people are handier then others.  And isn't a peel washer standard with an A2 flash hider?  So you can index the closed bottom?  And isn't the A2 the standard issue flash hider of the US military?  Or do you have some other army in mind?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#35]
A crush washer allows indexing -- that is why it crushes. I am not certain what percentage of rifles come with peel vs crush washers. I personally only use crush washers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/SilencerWeb.jpg

I wanna get one of those really bad..need a rifle to put it on first though Cause it ain't going on an SP1.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
OPS INC 15th Model, should have them in about a month. hr

Will OPS Inc. finally come out with a can that mounts to a flash supressor for the 15th? I have this dream about an OPS can mated to a vortex, the best of both worlds...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:22:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
OPS INC 15th Model, should have them in about a month. hr

Will OPS Inc. finally come out with a can that mounts to a flash supressor for the 15th? I have this dream about an OPS can mated to a vortex, the best of both worlds...

not gonna happen. The Troy, Surefure, and OPS INC cans are so accurate/minimal shift because of the proprietary attachment devices

Yeah but the troy and surefire sleeves have flash supressors. I just figured that with OPSinc's big military userbase, making their collar system work with a flash hider would be a benefit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:23:05 AM EDT
[#40]
I think my next can will be an SRT Hurricane XL.   I have an SRT integral 45acp AR15 that is pretty damned quiet.   Very nice build quality as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Will the HALO work with the Knights M4QD flash hider and a peel washer?  Thanks, Jim
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey guys, thanks for all the opinions. I got a local, class III ffl round the bend and am gonna be goin up there soon. One thing I forgot to mention is that this suppressor will be goin on a Bushmaster madular carbine(with the fluted bbl). Does this feature limit my options? I have noticed that some of the suppressors come back on the bbl a bit. Thanks again
Josh
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#44]
You might want to check into Gemtechs new G5 suppressor that will be out later this year. I haven't seen a picture of the mounting system yet but understand it with be one of the better, quicker mounting systems available. I haven't heard price quotes yet so maybe others can give some more info in that regard.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top