Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 12:44:20 AM EDT
OTAL IR with a little LED that lit up when the laser was turned on to make it "civilian legal"?

Yes..No..?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Civilian legal - or safer?

I use a an Aimpoint Comp ML rather than the laser shoot-me light.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes absolutley but I bet they won't do it

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing a little piece of duct tape wouldn't take care of.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My point was that there is a HUGE market for this but none of the companies in the US are taking advantage of it. If I could order these IR lasers I would and I believe I would sell out befor they even got to my door. I think Laser devices is the most likely company to make such a thing. They make GOOD quality lazers but are not beholden to the Gov. by massice military contracts (that I am aware of). I think they are missing the boat here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Absofreakin'lutely.

The 'shoot me' light owns the night.  Way faster than lining your head mounted NV up to your weapon.  It's already on your weapon?  I guess you'll have to walk around with your weapon on your face all the time then, if you want to see in the dark.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
yup, would do
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
YES! [^]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, but it will never happen! Laser Devices has made it pretty clear they will not get involved in the marketing of IR lasers to civilians. As I have said before, that fact comes direct from the VP of Laser Devices. I can also tell you that they would not sell like hot cakes either. I base that fact on past experience when IR lasers were readily available and very few people took advantage. Remember that IR units that are of good quality, are not cheap. Not many people are willing to pony up $1,000 plus dollars for IT lasers. I believe if people who had NV had the oppurtunity to use one they would see how good they really are for a multitude of applications.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#11]
CTM, I hear you. But, just like most good things, the demand has risen long after we as consumers can not readily purchase them. Look at the demand for class 3 items. In 86 the market was not as strong as it is now. Or sport utility rifles. I bet Bushmaster and Colt sell more AR-15 type rifles in the 90's than they did in the 70's and 80's combined.

The availability of NVD's and the lowering of prices has spured the demand for IR lasers as well. 10 years ago I would not have been able to afford a good set of NVD's. Now I can. The market for such items is strong and growing.

If Laser Devices would not be interested, do you know of any other company that would be? If I could order 500+ units today I have the investment capital and investors to do it. And I would make money. As long as I could sell them for what new IR lasers are going for ($500 - $800).
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I would want it to be the dual beam variety and have the option of being ordered as a visable red/IR laser, a visable green/IR laser or IR laser/IR laser illuminator.  At that point I would certainly buy one of those within the next 6 months if they were under $1000.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Certainly!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been running one of their OTAL IR's on my M4 RAS for a few months now and as CTM stated above the operational capabilities are incredible when utilized with a head mounted PVS 14.

Unfortunately he's also correct in that this isn't going to happen. Laser Devices was very much an every i dotted every t crossed company. I doubt that they will even continue the conversation with you past the opening question's negative answer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Bottom line is that these WOULD sell, especially if they came in under the $1000 mark.

I disagree on LDI, do a search on the company and you'll find that they had some legal issues a few years back for attempted illegal exports to Taiwan. Definately not a by the book operation, at least at that time. Just my 2 cents......
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top