Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/11/2006 7:51:04 AM EST
Do I need to get a different bolt and carrier group and have it head spaced?
For some reason I can never seem to get a straight answer to this question. I'm still pretty much new at messing with these rifles, and I guess it just doesn't make sense to me yet.

I see that you can buy new uppers with the bolt and carrier, or without them....WTF! I don't know why this is not making sense to me!!!

Would I ruin something if I used the same bolt,carrier, and charging handle on two seperate uppers?
Would I need to get a set of headspace gauges?

I realize that in a perfect world I would have a seperate bolt and carrier for each upper, hell in a perfect world I would have a lower for each upper, PPPPPLLLease... I just need to figure this out.
I have a M4 A2 upper and would also like to get a flat top, and I'm trying to find out if I need to spend the extra for the total set-up or if I can just switch them out.

Sorr for sounding so bitchy but I am honestly having a hard time finding a straight answer to these questions, I feel like I'm running out of places to look for answers.

Any help you guys can offer will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Al
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:11:15 AM EST
Switching a bolt assembly between uppers wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. It is going to provide uneven wear on the bolt and you could have issues with headspace. I have seperate uppers, they all have their own bolt groups.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:43:17 AM EST
Thank-you. That makes sense.
Does anyone know if I need to have the headspace checked if I get a BCG from one place, and the upper assy. from another? or would it be okay as long as I keep those parts together all of the time?

Again, Thanks for any help.
Al
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:53:15 PM EST
You'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:57:38 AM EST
i have used the same bolt and carrier in two different uppers with no problems
Top Top