Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2010 6:46:31 PM EDT
I came across a lot of Colt 30 round magazines in a Connecticut gun shop and I am trying to figure out whether they are preban or not since I live behind enemy lines in a ban state.  These mags have light green followers and floor plates with the Pony logo and the written text:

CAL. 5.56 MM
COLT'S FIREARMS DIVISION
COLT INDUSTRIES
HARTFORD, CONN. USA

They are in a large box that was shipped directly from Colt in Hartford since that was on the return address.  It appears to have been shipped recently. No date stamps are visible on the outside of the magazines.

Now I realize that Colt does not make magazines but relies on subcontractors such as NHMTG to supply them.  However, any recently made NHMTG I have seen have external date stamps.  What I don't know is whether Colt has continued to date stamp "its" magazines since the ban ended.  Is it possible they have stopped doing that which means these mags could be post ban?  Is it possible the magazines may be dated internally or something about the floor could imply a date of manufacture?  Sure, I realize if there aren't any dates on them it could be difficult for anyone to prove the are not pre ban, thus, they are probably safe to own.  But I would like to have a better sense about these mags, when they were likely made and whether it is reasonable to think that Colt may actually have held on to a large stash of pre bans for so many years.  So if anyone has some expert knowledge or insights to share please let me know.  Oh, and by the way they are priced at $24.95 which is certainly not cheap by any means especially with CProducts mags out there which I had only good experience with when shooting in one of the "free" states.  But I'm just curious about the Colt's since there are so many lies, myths and misconceptions floating around out there about pre ban and post ban mags.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Visit the Retro section of this Forum (Links & info there)
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt pre-bans seem to be popping up by a handful of reputable vendors for about that price.

Bottom line- no date mark is considered pre-ban.  Done deal- final answer.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top