Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 7:11:00 PM EDT
Just had a quick question, I am going to purchase an AR here in the near future and was doing some homework on the different makers. Was wondering what you would suggest, if I should get a Rock River Arms, or a Bushmaster. I truley like both firearms, but what I would like to know is if you own either of them have you noticed any major flaws in them. I would appericate the feed back
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own either, but both have very solid reputations and you won't go wrong with either.

What in particular are you looking to buy?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
was considering the bushmaster carbine  or the

Government Model by Rock River. Those are my two main points of focus right now. But thanks for the info, I had heard mostly good things, but a few of my buddies who own the bushmaster says it jams alot. I think it it is just the crappy ammo he shots though
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I own both, and have buddies (that's "buddies" plural, as in more than one, not just one buddy but when I tell the story I say "buddies" so as to somehow give the story more credibility) who own both.  I like both brands, trust them both, and would purchase either with confidence depending on which company offered the product that best suited my needs.

As far as fit and finish goes,  I could lay the two side by side and you couldn't tell any difference between them.  Regarding reliability, my 13 year old Bushmaster finally suffered a failure to feed at the range (in my wife's hands) a few weeks ago, but I literally haven't cleaned it in well over a year, just to see how long it COULD go without any cleaning at all. (Nah, actually I'm just lazy)  Broke it down, cleaned and lubed the carrier, reassembled it, and continued without further incident.  My RRA has never malfunctioned, but it's only a year or two old.

One of my two buddies had failures to feed with his RRA when it was brand new, but he had just purchased it, walked out of the store, and gone to the range.  Similar drill, broke it in half, removed and lubed the carrier, reassembled, never another problem.

The other buddy, with a Bushmaster, has never had any issues with his.

I think your buddy (buddies) either has issues with his ammo, or with his cleaning regimen, or maybe even his magazine.  I wouldn't take his advice very seriously.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I own both, and have buddies (that's "buddies" plural, as in more than one, not just one buddy but when I tell the story I say "buddies" so as to somehow give the story more credibility) who own both.  I like both brands, trust them both, and would purchase either with confidence depending on which company offered the product that best suited my needs.

As far as fit and finish goes,  I could lay the two side by side and you couldn't tell any difference between them.  Regarding reliability, my 13 year old Bushmaster finally suffered a failure to feed at the range (in my wife's hands) a few weeks ago, but I literally haven't cleaned it in well over a year, just to see how long it COULD go without any cleaning at all. (Nah, actually I'm just lazy)  Broke it down, cleaned and lubed the carrier, reassembled it, and continued without further incident.  My RRA has never malfunctioned, but it's only a year or two old.

One of my two buddies had failures to feed with his RRA when it was brand new, but he had just purchased it, walked out of the store, and gone to the range.  Similar drill, broke it in half, removed and lubed the carrier, reassembled, never another problem.

The other buddy, with a Bushmaster, has never had any issues with his.

I think your buddy (buddies) either has issues with his ammo, or with his cleaning regimen, or maybe even his magazine.  I wouldn't take his advice very seriously. hr

Wow, I clean my weapon weekly... But my life also depends on my M16A2... :) Anyways, you can get a no name brand AR-15, the most important part is the Upper Reciever. Make sure you get something that fits your needs. Like me, I like shooting heavy rounds, thus i need 1/7" twist barrels. If you like lighter range ammo, then you can go with 1/9" twist. And in all honesty, most of your malfunctions are not going to come from the weapon itself. It's going to come from the magazines. Magazine maintenance is probably the most underrated maintenance. You rarely read about people cleaning their magazines when their weapons are jamming all the time... I've never had a jam (with any type of ammunition) when I clean both my magazines and my M16A2.

Cliff notes: Your rifle brand doesn't matter, the materials that it's made of does though. Reliability is based on your maintenance of your equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top