Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2009 6:18:42 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster Varminter that I'm going to  put a scope on. What is the "Ideal height" for the bore center of the scope? The scope is a 4-16X50 Millet TRS-1.

Thanks in Advance!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Simply pick a set of mounts that gets the bell of the scope off the handguard. Don't go any higher than necessary, though. The stock doesn't give a very good cheek weld and lifting your head makes it worse.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Simply pick a set of mounts that gets the bell of the scope off the handguard. Don't go any higher than necessary, though. The stock doesn't give a very good cheek weld and lifting your head makes it worse.

Thats pretty much it.  Good direct post.

Link Posted: 5/18/2009 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm tying to do the same thing.  I have the Nikon Coyote 4.5x14-40 and medium height rings.  It mounted alright with a little clearance to the hand guard but near impossible to look through.  Its got to be higher, at least for my cheek.  I have the high rings due in tomorrow and I'll see how that works.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:52:03 AM EDT
[#4]
1.4 inches

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
As above.  1.40 inches is the height of the AR/M16 iron sights, and using that same height for an optic will be comfortable for most shooters.  Mount makers make conventional ring mounts that put the centerline at 1.40 inches as do makers of cantalevered mounts like LaRue, or shorter mounts can be used with a riser. The common mistake is to mount the scope too low.

Optimium eye relief is hard to get with conventional individual rings as they restrict how far forward the scope can be mounted.  That's where the cantalevered mounts shine, as the scope can be mounted a couple of inches further forward than is possible with individual rings.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, mounting close to the bore is for traditional rifles, not ARs.  You need it to be up high for proper cheek weld and ergo.

Here's the Big List of AR15 one-piece mounts, including sections on rings and extended rails:

Big List of AR15 One-Piece Mounts

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, mounting close to the bore is for traditional rifles, not ARs.  You need it to be up high for proper cheek weld and ergo.

Here's the Big List of AR15 one-piece mounts, including sections on rings and extended rails:

Big List of AR15 One-Piece Mounts

+1 for the mount guru.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top