Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 8:11:00 PM EDT
Damnit, this Colt is too pretty and pristine.  I've pampered it too long!

From now on everytime I go to the range or gravel pit...I'm gonna chuck it at least 10' into the gravel, Aimpoint and all!       Once for each side.                       Then I'm gonna run two miles with it slung over my back, then I'm gonna hump 5 miles with it slung forward.

Stand by...I'll post PICs in 8 months.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Spare the rifle, abuse yourself instead, and just go shoot the crap out of it
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
dude the colt snobs are going to be all over you!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
you have 8 days.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
WAIT!!!

I want to do that to it! hty.gif
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
EXCELLENT. I hate save queens.

When you pick it up, it should be ugly, and GROWL at you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Photos of air-borne rifles -- like the ones taken by the guy testing the S.P.O.T. optic for durability -- make me uneasy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell ya!  Ive pampered my car too long also...I think tomorrow im gonna take the sledge hammer and wack my car a few times... then after that im gonna take my computer mouse and start beating the computer with it and then im gonna tie my ar to my bumper and drag it around town!

WTF
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Really now, I took mine out, shot endless rounds through it, never cleaned it, shot more, and more.  Then wiped it down, shot more still have not cleaned it, and it looks and shoots better than new.

Do it! (Arnold in Preditor voice), it makes it happy, it remids itself what it is here for.

Brake Free rules.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
almost all of my weapons are safe queens.  i clean them and wipe them down and pet them and love them.  each one gets a thorough cleaning after any use.  a clean, shiny gun is a happy gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hell ya!  Ive pampered my car too long also...I think tomorrow im gonna take the sledge hammer and wack my car a few times... then after that im gonna take my computer mouse and start beating the computer with it and then im gonna tie my ar to my bumper and drag it around town!

lol, thats good, reminds me of Jackass.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WTF

Not an apt analogy.

ETA  I don't have any safe queens.  The only rifle I have that I don't shoot is an old Mosin Nagant that was converted to .30-06 that is considered unsafe to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF

Not an apt analogy.

Why not?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF

Not an apt analogy.

Why not?

Because part of the "life" of an AR15 or AK-47 is to take a beating.  It is part of what they were made for.  They weren't made to sit in a safe.  But your computer and vehicle wheren't made to be dragged through the dirt and dropped, etc.  Oh sorry, it's a Colt.  Leave it in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Because part of the "life" of an AR15 or AK-47 is to take a beating.  It is part of what they were made for.  They weren't made to sit in a safe.  But your computer and vehicle wheren't made to be dragged through the dirt and dropped, etc.  Oh sorry, it's a Colt.  Leave it in the safe.

There is a difference between using your rifle like it was meant to be used, and just throwing it around for no reason. One is good, the other is stupid.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Damnit, this Colt is too pretty and pristine.  I've pampered it too long.  

From now on everytime I go to the range or gravel pit, I'm gonne chuck it at least 10' into the gravel, Aimpoint and all!  Once for each side.   Then I'm gonna run two miles with it sling over my back, then I'm gonna hump 5 miles with it slung forward.

Dude................. I triple dog dare you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#16]
[C4iGrant] Beat the chit out of it [/C4iGrant]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I think what he means is that a rifle is meant to be fired. You don't purchase a computer to not use it. In other words, firing your rifle is analogous to using your computer, not beating it with a mouse.

As for cars, well, you don't buy a new car and keep it in the garage, while you use your old beater.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As for cars, well, you don't buy a new car and keep it in the garage, while you use your old beater.

I dont have quite a new car but the '98 Lexus SC 300 dont get used as much as the '95 Pathfinder
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I respect my guns, and everything I have for that matter.  At least LEARN something in the process of your abusing it.  Simply throwing the rifle around and beating the snot out of it will not help you shoot any better.  

Torture testing is a different story, but throwing it around JUST so it looks as if you've really used it is well...JMHO
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess I was not advocating taking your rifle out and throwing it, unless that's what you want to do.  But in the course of training with your rifle it WILL get scratched and dinged up.

Thank you for clarifying the analogy Slu54.  I didn't really think it was that difficult to understand, but...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Wasn't there a guy on here a few years back that took some fine sandpaper to his AR to make it look well-used??
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#22]

OH- YEAAHH!    BEAT ON THAT THING!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Im a Colt snob, but I do think he should do it just to prove to you heretics that Colts ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#24]
To each his/her own. I say don't do it. Just go out and enjoy your rifle like it was meant to be used, not abused unneccesarily. Your rifle will love you for it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
almost all of my weapons are safe queens.  i clean them and wipe them down and pet them and love them.  each one gets a thorough cleaning after any use.  a clean, shiny gun is a happy gun.

Blasphemy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Take good care of your stuff when you can. And hopefully it will take good care of you when you cant. A clean gun is a happey gun. Have fun though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#27]
What's a safe queen ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#28]
You plan to purposely abuse a rifle because you don't like the way it looks? The aspect of it's looks that you don't like is it looks too new?

Makes sense... in bizarro world
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You must not know any die hard Corvette owners.  They only drive em on the weekends.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Make it an un-safe queen

I never intentionally abuse my stuff but I don't get uptight when my gear rubs the reciever up or the bbl gets a ding.  I take care of the important parts whether it's my personal AR's or the Mil. stuff.  It's a tool (albeit a fun tool) no different than a hammer to me.  I use both for their intended purpose and dont fret when they get marred!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Make it an un-safe queenht

+1!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Same here, I take care of my rifles since I've got a bit invested in them, but I'm not super picky about a little bit of cosmetic wear over the years.  It happens.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread runs every couple of weeks and get some legs under it too?
I cannot understand why someone would want something that looks like its been thru hell when it hasn't.  I hate dinging my weapon(s) any of them what dings occur with use it comes whether you want it or not.  And the reference about 'TOOLS' - sure WE know what screws they are supposed to turn... but I want them to work when I need them to and would never consider 'throwing' my M4gery for the appearance of it having done what it hasn't!
Thats like signing a contract with somebody elses name , what do they call that ?
But 'safe-queens I do not own, and as a kid and I never dropped my ice-cream.
"  ...when they pry it from my cold dead hands !"  If I am holding my gun that tight dead ... ! It aint hitting the ground while I am alive !  
The only part of my gun that EVER hits the ground is the brass. I'll save it for a bludgeoning tool for when I have ran it dry and that is its only use.    
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Hook, line and sinker.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Make that Colt earn her keep!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Standing by for JosephR's comments.

While your at it make sure you grind any other gear you have (web gear, chest harnesses, mag pouches, magazines) into the ground to give them the matching "I've been to battle" look.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I would bet there are some AR's here that have more cleaning damage than actual use damage and I understand it's hard to put alot of money into a rifle and then see it fall to the ground because you decided to lean it against a tree (just this once) while you took a piss instead of laying it neatly on your closed cell foam carrying case making sure not to let the hot barrel touch the foam so as not to melt it onto the rifle making the 4 hour cleaning session last 8 hours but at least it fell to the left so no dirt got into the bolt carrier group that you made sure (more than once) you had put at least a cup full of  one of the many many different brands of lube you have stocked away  which makes cleaning take even longer because you can never decide which lube you read was the best but in the end it's all OK because you always remember to close your dust cover!!!

So, Am I the official winner of the ARFCOM run on sentence award?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I just dont know why anyone cares.  I hope the guy takes a crap in the receiver and runs it over with a semi.  For some reason these posts always get a rise out of people.  Who cared what other people do with their crap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Some of you guys crack me up!  Gett'in all bent outta shape...

Am I really going to throw my rifle around in the gravel?  Probably not, but I'm definitely not going to baby it anymore.  We drew weapons (M16's and M9's) last week and I noticed all the wear and tear, yet all the things that mattered were perfectly servicable.  I think the over protection of my rifles stemmed from enduring the ban and never knowing when it would go away.  It was probably justified then, but somewhat irrational now.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Damnit, this Colt is too pretty and pristine.  I've pampered it too long!

From now on everytime I go to the range or gravel pit...I'm gonna chuck it at least 10' into the gravel, Aimpoint and all!       Once for each side.                       Then I'm gonna run two miles with it slung over my back, then I'm gonna hump 5 miles with it slung forward.

MAY YOU BURN IN HELLL!!!!  .........

Go ahead, it's your rifle...my Colts are staying nice and safe at home where they will be pampered until it's time to go to the range....

Pass the kool aid please
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Just use the rifle for shooting something I like to called "bullets".  It will develop wear all by itself.  

Also, I'm sure that most soldiers' rifles have abuse marks because they threw the rifle around so that it would "look cool".  Not because they used the rifle for shooting.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Just use the rifle for shooting something I like to called "bullets".  It will develop wear all by itself.  

Also, I'm sure that most soldiers' rifles have abuse marks because they threw the rifle around so that it would "look cool".  Not because they used the rifle for shooting.  

A+ for effort, but I cant detect one bit of sarcasm in your post. Could you try a little harder next time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Give me your aimpoint first.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Guess I'll play the Devils advocate and say I don't think there's anything wrong with having a safe queen or taking care of expensive firearms.

BTW. On a list of things I would abuse, firearms would certainly be at the bottom.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top