Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2005 2:09:47 PM EDT
Hey everyone i am new to this forum. I have been checking out and reading up on AR's from this site for a while and realized that like all of you here i am catching the sickness of the "Black Rifle" so i decided to join...........lol...........

here
I've been searching around alot for an AR near me but every dealer wants an arm and a leg for their AR's.

All of you on this site seem to be very informative on your knowledge of the AR's.....i have learned alot already that will help me in my searching and purchasing of my first AR.

so let me thank you all in advance for your knowledge.......and like i said i am full of questions as i am looking to purchase my first AR.
h

Eycee*                                        
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome!

I hope we can all help you find and enjoy your first AR!

Just remember to beat the crap out of the search button...
Most of your questions will likely have answers already.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
First lesson.  NYPD has what they call the ESU.  It's swat and a rescue squad all rolled into one.  If I'm wrong, someone feel free to flog me.  Cause I might be.  I'm an annoying kid with lots of questions too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
yes Dusty it is ESU/SWAT

technically the same thing i figured i would just put SWAT because its all the same drift. lol

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My goal is to get on the Drug Task Force here.  It's made up of officers from the local PD.  State police and Dea.  I don't care which agency I get on it through, I just want on it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My goal is to get on the Drug Task Force here.  It's made up of officers from the local PD.  State police and Dea.  I don't care which agency I get on it through, I just want on it.

That sounds like a plan to me........are you on the PD yet?

yeh i want to get on ESU/SWAT and then after a while on that i want to apply for something such as ATF, DEA, etc...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember,  your state has an assault weapons ban that mirrors the expired federal one,  so flash hiders/bayonette lugs/collapsing stocks are illegal.  Unless it is a "pre-ban",  you can't have the previously mentioned "evil features".  Research your local laws before buying an AR.  Prebans are available to people like you who live behind enemy lines.

Couch-Commando
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey by the way....

Any one have any suggestions(pics welcome) for my First AR???? I am hopeing to get one ASAP.

Eycee*
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Remember,  your state has an assault weapons ban that mirrors the expired federal one,  so flash hiders/bayonette lugs/collapsing stocks are illegal.  Unless it is a "pre-ban",  you can't have the previously mentioned "evil features".  Research your local laws before buying an AR.  Prebans are available to people like you who live behind enemy lines.h-Commando

Thanx for the heads up Couch.........are'nt pre-ban rifles alot more exspensive???

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
... and then after a while on that i want to apply for something such as ATF, DEA, etc...

Soo...
You'll be able to expidite our NFA forms, yes?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Get hired by a department, which by iteslf is usually not the easiest thing, be a good street cop, and after awhile, you can think about your dreams of ESU or narc work.  If you are still in highschool, forget it and concentrate on military or college first.  The minimum age of 21 is misleading.  At 21 years of age you haven't been around enough to be useful, and about the only exceptions I see are the guys and gals coming out of the military.  

The bottom line is that if you aren't a good street cop, you are worthless, and you won't go anywhere.

Back to AR15s, a preban receiver is more expensive, but it opens up a lot of option for you.  If you are going to build or buy a straight AWB compliant weapon, I would consider just getting a 20" M16A4 clone.  My version is pictured below.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that an M16A1 lower?  I just noticed it doesn't have the A2 rear detent set up
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get hired by a department, which by iteslf is usually not the easiest thing, be a good street cop, and after awhile, you can think about your dreams of ESU or narc work.  If you are still in highschool, forget it and concentrate on military or college first.  The minimum age of 21 is misleading.  At 21 years of age you haven't been around enough to be useful, and about the only exceptions I see are the guys and gals coming out of the military.  

The bottom line is that if you aren't a good street cop, you are worthless, and you won't go anywhere.

Back to AR15s, a preban receiver is more expensive, but it opens up a lot of option for you.  If you are going to build or buy a straight AWB compliant weapon, I would consider just getting a 20" M16A4 clone.  My version is pictured below.

img243.imageshack.us/img243/2366/hurryupresizedlarge3bg.jpg

I'm not that young lol.........i'm 20 and going into my 3rd year of college and already passed the cop test with a 92.......my friends uncle is in chagre of recruiting for the city and is on ESU/SWAT aswell and said he can prob. get me straight straight onto SWAT when i get out of the academy or after being on the street for about a year.......i guess i'm going to have to see how it all plays out. But yeh i know if i was to have military backround that it would look alot better so i am still considering Military as a possibility.

If i was to get a post-ban rifle is that a bad thing?....because most of the shops around me i'm pretty sure thats all they sell. Stickman i have read alot of your comments on other threads and seen your set-ups........you are one person i will def. be asking alot of questions to about getting my first AR if you dont mind. You seen very knowlegdable and i feel talking to you will be a huge benefit on my part.

Quick question..........Is there that big of a difference between the 16" and 20" barrel??
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The diference in 16-20" is velocity and the ability to manuever.

I've never heard of ESU straight of the academy, and you would piss off so many people that your name would be mud.  Right out of college?  Your life would be butal on any team....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've never heard of ESU straight of the academy, and you would piss off so many people that your name would be mud.  Right out of college?  Your life would be butal on any team....

Ouch.....lol..........well thanks for that insite,not right out of college, i plan on finishing my 4 years of college first then going to the Police Academy....most likely i'll prob have to do a year on the street first.....

so im guessing that the velocity would be greater with 20" but ability to manuever would be greater with the 16"........so for a first AR i'm guessing i can go either way.....16" or 20" ??
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch.....lol..........well thanks for that insite, most likely i'll prob have to do a year on the street first.....

so im guessing that the velocity would be greater with 20" but ability to manuever would be greater with the 16"........so for a first AR i'm guessing i can go either way.....16" or 20" ??

Correct,  The shorter the barrel, the easier to manuever in close quarters battle.  The longer the barrel,  the more volocity, which translates to longer range and greater force.  Everything in shooting is a trade off.  If you never shoot more than 50 yards,   get a 10inch barrel(if you move to a free state)  If you want to shoot beyond 500 yards, get a 24-26 inch barrel for added range.

For common people,  16-20 is usually the best bet.  16 is fairly short without too much volocity loss.  20'' is a bit longer,  without being too long for CQB stuff.  20'' isn't as cumbersome as people on this site would make you believe.  Another favorite on arfcom is the 14.5 inch with a pinned flash hider or comensator to bring the length to 16'' .  It is a little shorter and a little better for CQB.  It does loose a bit more volocity,  for only an extra 1.5 inches.  However,  lets save that never ending debate for another thread.

Hope this helps.

Couch-Commando
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch.....lol..........well thanks for that insite, most likely i'll prob have to do a year on the street first.....

Correct,  The shorter the barrel, the easier to manuever in close quarters battle.  The longer the barrel,  the more volocity, which translates to longer range and greater force.  Everything in shooting is a trade off.  If you never shoot more than 50 yards,   get a 10inch barrel(if you move to a free state)  If you want to shoot beyond 500 yards, get a 24-26 inch barrel for added range.

For common people,  16-20 is usually the best bet.  16 is fairly short without too much volocity loss.  20'' is a bit longer,  without being too long for CQB stuff.  20'' isn't as cumbersome as people on this site would make you believe.  Another favorite on arfcom is the 14.5 inch with a pinned flash hider or comensator to bring the length to 16'' .  It is a little shorter and a little better for CQB.  It does loose a bit more volocity,  for only an extra 1.5 inches.  However,  lets save that never ending debate for another thread.

Hope this helps.h-Commando

thanks Couch-Commando,

yes every bit helps........so i'm figureing for my first AR i will prob go with a 16" barrel with a muzzle break.........and i already know that i def. want the detachable carry handle......what do you think?

Eycee*                              
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Detachable carry handle would probably work best for ya because then if you want to buy some sort of  optic for it you don't have to buy another upper...just take off the carry handle and tada instant A4 ready for optic.

These guys have given you fair warning but I'll say it again...The black rifle is a disease...too much fun!
I just put together my first build not long ago and man I already want to upgrade a ton of stuff....I have a million ideas but a very small wallet .

Good luck and youve definately come to the right place for the AR-15.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Detachable carry handle would probably work best for ya because then if you want to buy some sort of  optic for it you don't have to buy another upper...just take off the carry handle and tada instant A4 ready for optic.

These guys have given you fair warning but I'll say it again...The black rifle is a disease...too much fun!
I just put together my first build not long ago and man I already want to upgrade a ton of stuff....I have a million ideas but a very small wallet he

Thanks....and yes i can tell i am catching the disease lol.......i guess the only way to satisfy is to finally get myself an AR and start adding to it to best suit me.

I just want to thank every1 now for their kind welcomeing and input so far b4 i get to involved with my first AR search and forget to thank every1.
her
once again thanx to all and i hope to hear more from all of you.

Eycee*                            
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Look in the EE (Equipment Exchange here) and you'll probably find some good deals.

Post-ban uppers aren't in huge demand, so you can most likely get one for a good price with low a round-count.

Welcome to the site

WIZZO

BTW, I'm a year younger than you, so you aren't alone on here
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Look in the EE (Equipment Exchange here) and you'll probably find some good deals.

Post-ban uppers aren't in huge demand, so you can most likely get one for a good price with low a round-count.

Welcome to the sitehan

Thanx for the tip Wizzo,

it's good to know that im not alone here lol.

I'm a lefty shooter......so do u think it would be smarter to get a lefty AR or will it not make a differene with the right handed gun.....because now all my other guns are right handed and i have no problem shooting them. Just curious if it would matter a whole lot with an AR.

Thanx again, i'm def. going to have to check out the Equipment Exchange because im just itching to pick up my first AR.

Eycee*                            
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

Couch-Commando

thanks Couch-Commando,

yes every bit helps........so i'm figureing for my first AR i will prob go with a 16" barrel with a muzzle break.........and i already know that i def. want the detachable carry handle......what do you think?

Eycee*                              

dont get the muzzle brake get an A2 or other FS

i shot my friends Ar with a MB and it sucked it was like 10 times louder and .223 dosent have that much recoil anyways

stag makes a left handed AR
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

yeh i want to get on ESU/SWAT and then after a while on that i want to apply for something such as ATF

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

Couch-Commando

thanks Couch-Commando,

Eycee*                              

i shot my friends Ar with a MB and it sucked it was like 10 times louder and .223 dosent have that much recoil anyways

He can't. He's in New York.

I would suggest buying (or building) a regular AR. I think the lefty is a little specialized, IMHO, of course.

Besides, that's what the whore bump brass deflector is on there for. To protect the Wrong-handed people

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Hello and welcome aboard

CopDills
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.h-Commando

thanks Couch-Commando,

Eycee*                              hr

He can't. He's in New York.

I would suggest buying (or building) a regular AR. I think the lefty is a little specialized, IMHO, of course.

Besides, that's what the whore bump brass deflector is on there for. To protect the Wrong-handed peoplehr

Yeh i really dont have a choice on the muzzle brake i don't think and wouldnt it be more $$$ to get a left handed rifle??.......if anything i may just get the ambidexterious (prob. spelt that wrong lol) saftey.

Would it cost me less to buy a upper and lower separtely and build my own AR then to buy a complete one??

yes yes i know i'm full of questions........but i'm trying to learn as much as i can .

Eycee*                        
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Hello and welcome aboard

CopDills

Thanks for the welcome copdills

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#29]
WELCOME to the site!

i'd say a 16in A3 would fit the bill for just about anything out there
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#30]
NYPD must have a horrible police dept if they let rookies in the SWAT team after 1 year.  Your first year is probationalary then you go straight to SWAT?  WHy not get straight to Sgt then after the fors year and Lt. the next?  I thnk you have it wrong bro.  If you want to go federal ATF and DEA is the easiest to get in with lowest requirements.  US Marshals is a bit higher and FBI the highest.  Dont expect to get in the FBI with under a 3.7 GPA and your completed degree unless you speak Arabic.  THe hiring process for Federal Law Enforcement can take several years.  You will need to try and join a local PD until you are hired unless your school has an internship program which will help you get hired right away.  The only federal organisation that pays interns is the US Marshals.  You make G4 pay rate for about 4 months then have to get approved and hired at G7.  Federal LEO have bery fast pay increases but top out after about 3-5 years of service.  You can make more as a local LEO especially where you live.  What is your degree in?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yeh i really dont have a choice on the muzzle brake i don't think and wouldnt it be more $$$ to get a left handed rifle??.......if anything i may just get the ambidexterious (prob. spelt that wrong lol) saftey.

Would it cost me less to buy a upper and lower separtely and build my own AR then to buy a complete one??

yes yes i know i'm full of questions........but i'm trying to learn as much as i can .

Eycee*                        

The Ambi Safety would probably work well for you.

There's 3 ways to go about building.

Acquire individual parts bit by bit; buy a kit; or buy a complete upper and a complete lower.

Kits are running about $450-$500 and then you need to get a stripped lower receiver, so that would add about $100-$120 to your final cost.

You could get a complete lower and a complete upper (about as easy as it can get) and pin them together, but you'll almost be guaranteed to be up over the $600-$650ish mark with new parts. Anything is possible with used parts.

Buying piece by piece can be cheaper, but the main reason people do it is that they get to pick each and every part that goes into their AR. Typically, no0bs don't give this one a go until they already have an AR or 2 that they are familiar with.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eycee*                         hr

The Ambi Safety would probably work well for you.

There's 3 ways to go about building.

Acquire individual parts bit by bit; buy a kit; or buy a complete upper and a complete lower.

Kits are running about $450-$500 and then you need to get a stripped lower receiver, so that would add about $100-$120 to your final cost.

You could get a complete lower and a complete upper (about as easy as it can get) and pin them together, but you'll almost be guaranteed to be up over the $600-$650ish mark with new parts. Anything is possible with used parts.

Buying piece by piece can be cheaper, but the main reason people do it is that they get to pick each and every part that goes into their AR. Typically, no0bs don't give this one a go until they already have an AR or 2 that they are familiar with.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO

oh i get you.......a kit though would def. be cheaper then me buying a full complete. And then i'd be able to learn all the componets as i'm putting the kit 2gether. Around by me though a complete bushmaster with the detachable carry handle goes for about $950 plus and thats off the bat i say bushmaster because around here thats really all thats sold, so me getting a kit and picking up a stripped lower as you stated above should cost me around $600-$700.

so many choices lol

but yeh you def. helped me................thanx again

Eycee*                          
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Where can i get a AR manual from just in case i do decide to build my own??

Would the manual tell me exactly how to put everything 2gether??

Eycee*
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Where can i get a AR manual from just in case i do decide to build my own??

Would the manual tell me exactly how to put everything 2gether??

Eycee*

Everything you need to know is tacked to the top of the Build it Yourself forum HERE

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Eycee, I highly recommend you buy a stripped lower and a kit, or an upper and LPK from someone on this board.  If you go by the directions in the build it yourself forum you really can't screw anything up.  If you buy a kit the upper is usually assembled so all you have to do is assemble the lower and it is very simple.  I haven't ever used a kit but have assemble my one lower and bought a complete upper.  There are a ton of great vendors on this site in the Industry section.  There is a great sense of pride assembling your own also.  No matter how you get your first AR I'm sure you will have a blast wiht it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#36]
So how old are you, Eycee?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#37]
So you're in your third year in college?  Good for you.  But one thing you might want to consider is what the City of New York needs in terms of police officers.  I'll bet that there is a much greater need for patrol officers throughout the city than for young, eager ESU members.  (That sounds like the description of a movie character, doesn't it? )

Free advice: get some experience before you decide what you want to do.  There are a lot of ways to do that.  You said one of your options was the military-great idea!  All the services' Law Enforcement specialists go through school here in San Antonio at Lackland Air Force Base.  They get a LOT of very useful training-training that goes beyond street cop stuff.  They get that too, but that's just the foundation.  How many non-military street cops have the background to understand flanking manuver and proper use of cover?  Further, if you go in with a degree, you can go in as an officer, and Law Enforcement officers have "interesting" lives.  In the Air Force, you'd do a lot more than listen to lower ranking cops complain about traffic making them late for work!

Finally, all this experience would get you something that you can ONLY get from experience: a serious dose of reality.  That can help you put your entire life in perspective, and it can also make you a much more valuable asset when you decide to go into civil law enforcement.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Oh, and WELCOME!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Ah... just reread the thread a bit

so you're 20?

I'm 17
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanx guys,

Wizzo if i do decide to build my own that linku sent me will do fine..........thanks

and yeh i am kind of leaning towards just buying a kit and a stripped lower and building my own.....but it's goning to be my first AR so i dont know if i want to build it because i really dont know the AR rifle that well considering that i dont have an AR and i might screw it up.

and for those of you who asked........i'm 20.

Eycee*                  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
So you're in your third year in college?  Good for you.  But one thing you might want to consider is what the City of New York needs in terms of police officers.  I'll bet that there is a much greater need for patrol officers throughout the city than for young, eager ESU members.  (That sounds like the description of a movie character, doesn't it? hat
Finally, all this experience would get you something that you can ONLY get from experience: a serious dose of reality.  That can help you put your entire life in perspective, and it can also make you a much more valuable asset when you decide to go into civil law enforcement.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Oh, and WELCOME!

yeh i was / am still considering Military, but prob. not till after my 4 years of college because like you said i would go in with rank. I was def. considering air force and was going to see if they had a type of law enforcement program which from what you have said seems like they do. Also if i was to go into the air force i would most likey try and get on a air force special operations team (Tac-P / CC) because i know the training i would get from those aspects would look greatly upon me when i would come home and want to do SWAT or something of that nature.

But i still have some time to think about that considering i still have to finish up college first. So i have to think hard and eventually decide. And also in the meantime while i'm still home i am working on getting my first AR.......just not sure if i want to build one myself or just buy a complete considering it will be my first AR rifle.

Thanx again for your insite........it's greatly appreciated........hope to hear from you again.

Eycee*                  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top