Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2006 2:11:31 PM EDT
I'm really looking at getting one of these receivers but, would like to hear from
someone that has used one of these.

Has anyone had any issues (problems) with their builds using these?
Any issues with them being out of spec or any other problems?

They look like a quality product but would like some first hand feedback.

Link Posted: 8/5/2006 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I also just got mine today. I'm hoping to get to work on my build tonight/tomorrow. First impression is very nice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I was also looking at getting some of these uppers. Do they have anything unique about them compared to other AR lowers? Or is it just a differant logo with similar manufacturing specs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
I was also looking at getting some of these uppers. Do they have anything unique about them compared to other AR lowers? Or is it just a differant logo with similar manufacturing specs.

They are billet receivers cut from a solid bar of aluminum.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one last December while in Phoenix for the SAR Show.  I got a tour of the facility and photographed the entire process from Barstock to finished engraving.  I was VERY impressed to say the least.  I'll have a complete photographic piece in the January 2007 issue about Sun Devil going over the whole thing.

I built an A2 20-Inch H-Bar and I love it.

I hope this helps!

Jeff Z
Small Arms Review Magazine
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Word has it that they are going to offer an upper in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a lower from them. Had it for awhile. I have had no problems with it yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know much about the milled vs. the forged debate. It is however the best finished and cleanest lower that I own (RRA & Bushmaster).  Sun Devil was the first stripped lower that I built and it went together with an RRA LPK in less than an hour.  It matched up well with a CMT upper.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I looked at several and got a Sun Devil lower, due to a supply problem through my supplier. I mated it with a CAR upper and couldn't be happier. I would have to say that of all of the lowers I looked at, the Sun Devil is absolutly flawless. I will, without a doubt, buy another one for a future build, maybe mate it with one of their uppers.

Its good stuff and all dimensions are mil-spec.
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Word is correct.

When can we expect them. Im looking to get my upper next. Will it be avilable with M4 cuts ? Going for a 3rd week in a row of ordering from yall
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Their lower has some unique cuts and angles, nothing drastic, just
"different".  Can we expect the same from the upper?
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Forgive me for being lazy and not researching it myself, but does anyone have a quick answer regarding a ballpark price difference between these Sun Devils and the competition?

John

==========
6.5 Grendel: Soul of an AR10; Body of an AR15
Link Posted: 8/5/2006 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I have seen them locally for "a little less" then other receivers.  But truth be told, I have seen more of a difference in  pricing on receivers from shop to shop then from manufacture to manufacture.
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 3:45:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have seen them locally for "a little less" then other receivers.  But truth be told, I have seen more of a difference in  pricing on receivers from shop to shop then from manufacture to manufacture.

The two that I have seen on dealers tables at gunshows seemed to be had for a little more than most are asking for others.

I would be willing to pay a little more for a milled receiver if they are as good as reported.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2006 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I paid $200 for mine and from a local FFL. I think that a forged Les Baer was in the $180 range.  I built mine and put a RRA Tactical Entry upper on it.  All in all I am very pleased. I will get another milled billet as opposed to forged lower in the future.  I just think that the feel and fit is better and it feels stronger.
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Do they offer uppers?? I think one would be Ideal for a long range target AR build.
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The one that I bought had an issue with it.  Chalk it up to first time builder or what have you but the safety detent would not slide all the way in and engage the safety lever.  I had to slightly ream the hole out a tad before it would slide all the way in.  ABQ-TJ had the exact same issue and his is now stuck inside the lower and the rifle stuck in the fire mode until we can drill out the detent.  Other then that it is very nice and the rifle is very tight.

Something to look out for if anyone else is planning on purchasing one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
I paid $200 for mine and from a local FFL. I think that a forged Les Bauer was in the $180 range.  I built mine and put a RRA Tactical Entry upper on it.  All in all I am very pleased. I will get another milled billet as opposed to forged lower in the future.  I just think that the feel and fit is better and it feels stronger.

Its not stronger.
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#24]
M1S
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Did anything ever come of the Sun Devil uppers?
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#26]
There was one in the EE for sale a week or so back, that the selector dentent came thru the inside of the receiver. Sounds like they may have a problem in that area.
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Stick do they have a working website. I have found one but they dont have anything on it. Just says stuff coming later. And as always i am sure you will have many pictures up so we can see how it looks and fits. And of course it will make my bank account deflate. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Sundevilmfg.com,, when I looked the other day it was partly up. just a little info.
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There was one in the EE for sale a week or so back, that the selector dentent came thru the inside of the receiver. Sounds like they may have a problem in that area.

Why would someone sell a broken receiver instead of getting it fixed?  Something sounds very wrong, if you are the person, or know who it was with the lower that was damaged, please IM me.  Regardless of how it happened, I would be interested in following up on it.

That's what I did'nt understand, why he jst did'nt send it back? I just saw the other fellow said he had problems with getting the dentent in, maybe this guy hamer his thru??
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#32]
How does the weight compare to a forged lower?
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought one for my first AR build, can't really report much other than mine doesn't have the waffle grip on the front of the mag-well, it's a 21XX serial number so I'm not sure if it's an updated design or just different... Hopefully I'll get an LPK soon and get everything put together
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Stick anymore news on the uppers from Sun Devil?
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't most AR lowers/uppers millded from aluminum?
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't wait to get mine this week! Teknic/John shipped it out for me today.

Nathan

Ps: Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't most AR lowers/uppers millded from aluminum?

No, most are forgings that are milled to shape. This is milled from a piece of bar stock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
M1S
Ummm, I would first blame the LPK from M1S before I blamed the lower but that's just me.

I've built out about 40+ of these lowers and they're been fine. All of the earlier ones had a very tight rear lug pocket and it required a little lapping to get the upper to fit but once it did, it was nice and snug. From my understanding, this tight pocket was intentional but I guess too many people complained about it so on the newer ones, the pockets are wider and require no lapping.

I don't think these offer anything over a standard forged lower and they're definitely not stronger...notice their ad says "Stronger that Casting"...even they know it's not stronger than forged but then again, the lower isn't stressed that much (hence the Vulcan plastic lowers which, suprisingly, work ok but I still wouldn't recommend one)

The only real notable difference is the "look" as any important area of the lower is machined to tolerance whether it's forged or billet so don't buy into the "dimensional inconsistancy" crap. Where it counts, there is no dimensional inconsistancy (other than tolerance and machine setup/wear/etc. which is present in every lower no matter how it's formed)

One thing I have noticed with a few of the Sun Devil lowers that I tried is that they will NOT take a RRA 9mm adapter. They lacked a certain cut edge inside the magwell which doesn't hurt normal magazine functions but the RRA 9mm adapter wouldn't go into the ones I tried.

Honestly, unless you like the look of this lower, you're better off putting your money towards better components and buying a standard forged lower. Why pay $150 (guys, don't pay more than retail) for this lower when you can buy a good forged lower for $80-$100? Put that $50-$70 savings towards better parts elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Honestly, unless you like the look of this lower, you're better off putting your money towards better components and buying a standard forged lower. Why pay $150 (guys, don't pay more than retail) for this lower when you can buy a good forged lower for $80-$100? Put that $50-$70 savings towards better parts elsewhere.

Well said. I got mine 2 months ago because of the wow factor. This time around I ended up buying a mega forged lower last week for my next build. The mega has a much nicer finish than my sun devil.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I want to know what the big deal is with these things...How are they better than a forged lower?

A company named Palmetto Arms was making these things back in the late 70's...knew some guy that was putting them togther in Philly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I want to know what the big deal is with these things...How are they better than a forged lower?

They're not better...it's just the "latest fad" on the market...and that's coming from someone who's all about the latest and greatest...the part missing with most of this billet nonsense is the "greatest" part. Also, 6061 is a weaker alloy to begin with. POF's billet lowers are made from 7075 but again, why pay the extra for no advantage?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Did anything ever come of the Sun Devil uppers?

In theory, we should be seeing them in the next week or so, but SD has been slow to deliver on this.

bump for updates......
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top