Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 7:56:40 AM EDT
I went to the gun show in Springfield yesterday and priced some ammo. I decided that if the prices were right I'd buy a thousand rounds. Well, one of the dealers there had a few cases of Q3131A for $199, XM193 for $199, XM193PD for $174. I think they had to add sales tax to that as well. Also, I shoot Wolf and it was $114 a thousand and you had to add tax to that as well. With the cost of the entry fee ($6) and the gas to drive there I could easily save money by buying ammo online.

On a positive note, I did get to talk to CMMG and they seemed very professional and nice to chat with. Their rifles looked great!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:13:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 8:20:53 AM EDT by fxntime]
You should have ponied up, that is not bad pricing and since you need to add shipping charges, you will end up paying more then the prices you quoted, thats IF you can even find Q3131A. Get too cheap and it'll cost you. If you were going ANYWAYS, why are you trying to add the entire cost of entry and fuel to the price? Id have bought a couple K of Q3131A at that price myself.

I kept buying SA at $40 a 300 pack, that was with tax, 160 for 1200 rounds is cheap now, after it went from 35 lots stopped buying it so I kept on, thanks everyone at the show for saving it for me. I am resigned to the fact that ammo prices are probably here to stay, at least for the next 5 years. Military is going to want stockpiles of it after all the shortages they have seen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:45:17 AM EDT
I meant in the future. I used to buy ammo at gun shows all the time but that was before I discovered the internet!! It's still cheaper to buy on line because I don't add tax and the shipping isn't too much.

I know the price on the XM193 and Q3131A wasn't too bad. If I needed some I would have bought it but I'm stocked up at the moment. (Not by some people's standards though!!)

But I'll save the trip in the future. Not much besides crappy guns there. Waste of money for the trip!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:53:33 AM EDT
We had Georgia Arms at our gun show several weeks ago out here by the Dulles Airport. They had factory loaded .223 55gr for about $150 per 1,000 (or go to their web site). With tax it was $157.45. Seems they use once-fired Lake City brass (probably from Fort Benning) for this ammo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:25:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 3:28:04 PM EDT by dullh]
I quit going to the local gun shows about two years ago...stupid old men trying to sell rusted, out of time S&W revolvers for over $400 each, a Colt Python with SEVERE pitting for $1500 (I am NOT joking), too many fat, hygenically challenged wanna-be hicks selling rusted out copies of copies of AKs for $700, AR-15 magazines that are damaged for $35 each...these people are a real treat! And all of that only starts to scratch the surface!

You can tell by going to the local gunshows around here that none of these boobs have access to the internet - or if they do they ain't paying attention!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:27:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dullh:
I quit going to the local gun shows about two years ago...stupid old men trying to sell rusted, out of time S&W revolvers for over $400 each, a Colt Python with SEVERE pitting for $1500 (I am NOT joking), too many fat, hygenically challenged wanna-be hicks selling rusted out copies of copies of AKs for $700, AR-15 magazines that are damaged for $35 each...these people are a real treat! And all of that only starts to scratch the surface!

You can tell by going to the local gunshows around here that none of these boobs have access to the internet - or if they do they ain't paying attention!

Yep, here too. I have gone to gun shows to buy ammo and no one is even selling ammo in any quanity. A few boxes here and there and it's WAY overpriced. I haven't been to a gun shot in years that has been worth the entry fee.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:31:27 AM EDT
I thought the rule for gun shows was:

Go early on first day if looking to buy guns.....

and go late on the last day if looking to buy ammo.

I have primarily bought online for the last couple years, but gun shows right before closing have good ammo prices... they'd rather have you carry it out!

No Expert
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:02:28 AM EDT

I stopped going the shows here in Georgia for the same reasons.

I go to Knob Creek in the Spring. I can always find bargains there, but I have to buy early on Friday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:16:48 PM EDT
We found some Winchester white boxes for 2 BUCKS a box. Well it did not last. He says he has more at home. I like to get there early in the morning to get first dibs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:59:29 PM EDT
I go to gunshows for the Jerkey and the Beanie Babies.

Max
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:27:16 PM EDT
I generally buy ammo on-line anymore. But there is one ammo dealer that shows up at one of the shows that is from Calif, think they are a major distributor for Outdoor Marksman. They always have a ton of ammo and the prices are decent. I only go specifically to buy from this dealer. And to look at all the other shit too.
Picked up a couple boxes of Q3131a for 3.90 a box from one of the smaller dealers, just an ok price.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 2:12:56 PM EDT by i-ARF-therefore-i-am]

Originally Posted By M4bangr:
I generally buy ammo on-line anymore. But there is one ammo dealer that shows up at one of the shows that is from Calif, think they are a major distributor for Outdoor Marksman. They always have a ton of ammo and the prices are decent. I only go specifically to buy from this dealer. And to look at all the other shit too.
Picked up a couple boxes of Q3131a for 3.90 a box from one of the smaller dealers, just an ok price.

The company you are speaking of is Miwall ammo, and Outdoor Marksman is actually a distributor for them. I believe Miwall is a large importer or something. They typicall travel the western/intermountain region with the Gunshows of the West circuit. And yes, they do have pretty good prices on bulk ammo, and pretty good assortment. www.miwallcorp.com/miva/merchant.mv They hit my town a couple times a year in the Gunsows of the West and I often go just to buy ammo from them. They have a link to their show schedule at the above URL.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:36:00 PM EDT
The trick for good ammo prices at shows is to wait till the last 1/2 hour of the last day of the show, pull out a wad of cash first and then start talking. Most large dealers would deal rather than haul stuff back. I've gotten Australian 308 at $110 per case when going rate was $140-150; and unheard of prices on Wolf 7.62, 223, and 9mm with prices so low the dealers tell me not to mention them. One time I picked up 8 cases of 7.62x25 at $90 each and these were 2k round cases. You need to buy 10 case mininum to deal so group all your shooting buddies' orders together for buying power. And if you're buying 30+ cases, you can always call them up in advance of the show and just meet them in the parking lot so everyone saves energy. Remember that if you're just buying 1 or 2 cases, don't expect a 25% discount.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:21:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
The trick for good ammo prices at shows is to wait till the last 1/2 hour of the last day of the show, pull out a wad of cash first and then start talking. Most large dealers would deal rather than haul stuff back. I've gotten Australian 308 at $110 per case when going rate was $140-150; and unheard of prices on Wolf 7.62, 223, and 9mm with prices so low the dealers tell me not to mention them. One time I picked up 8 cases of 7.62x25 at $90 each and these were 2k round cases. You need to buy 10 case mininum to deal so group all your shooting buddies' orders together for buying power. And if you're buying 30+ cases, you can always call them up in advance of the show and just meet them in the parking lot so everyone saves energy. Remember that if you're just buying 1 or 2 cases, don't expect a 25% discount.

So what do you do when the shows don't have ANYONE selling ammo? The shows around here don't even have anyone selling ammo in bulk. I just order off the internet because you CAN'T find anyone selling ammo.

Wal-mart has a better selection and doesn't charge an entry fee.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:28:46 PM EDT
Where in MO you at?
My Aunt lives in Springfield, and Granny lives in Ash Grove.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:34:07 PM EDT
Georgia Arms canned heat ........awesome ammo for short dollar.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colt100:
So what do you do when the shows don't have ANYONE selling ammo?

Stay home and pick my nose.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:02:52 PM EDT
I haven't seen any good deals on ammo at a gun show in a few years now
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:45:09 PM EDT
True dpmmn, gunshows in our state seem to be very lacking by everyone else's standards.

Riddle me this and riddle me that, how can all the hygenically-challenged, stupid old farts selling old revolvers and such be here in MN and also in dullh's state of NC? They don't look like they've got two dimes to rub together let alone afford the price of gas to travel that far!

Scott
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:19:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By i-ARF-therefore-i-am:

Originally Posted By M4bangr:

The company you are speaking of is Miwall ammo, and Outdoor Marksman is actually a distributor for them. I believe Miwall is a large importer or something. They typicall travel the western/intermountain region with the Gunshows of the West circuit. And yes, they do have pretty good prices on bulk ammo, and pretty good assortment. www.miwallcorp.com/miva/merchant.mv They hit my town a couple times a year in the Gunsows of the West and I often go just to buy ammo from them. They have a link to their show schedule at the above URL.

I believe you are right. Miwall. They always bring an outstanding selection and prices are decent.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:40:49 PM EDT

I agree. If I go it is only to buy the green ammo boxes. It is usually cheaper for those.
Top Top