Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:55:00 PM EDT
I have a A3 M4 style rig with a ATN ultra sight  and a detachable A2 carry handle that I currently take on and off as needed.  Well, I am tired of doing the old switch-a-roo . I was thinking of gettin' an aftermarket BUIS like the ARMS #40L, but why not just cut the useless detachable carry handle and make use of the sight? To get the ATN and the cut carryhandle sight on the rail, I will need to mill out another rail knotch at the front of the receiver  to bring the ATN flush to the front edge, which gives me just enough room to fit the cut carry handle sight with one knob to tighten it on. Is the one knob enough to keep the A2 sight solidly mounted. I like this idea, because it uses items I already own and I like the ATN ultra site. I don't want to fork over the big bucks on a smaller, more expensive optic or even the $100 or so on another BUIS.   I don't really care about the co witnessing (but is nice if it works with this set up) I want to keep everything as simple as possible on my setup. I don't mind doing a little milling to accomplish this mod.

Is this a stupid idea?

Any body ever do a similar modification?

Could I see a pic of your mod?

Sure would appreciate any input?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen some cut units that were very nicely done. Some of the pics were on this board but I don't have any myself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I have no experiance with the ATN but I do use a cut down carryhandle.  Not the best pics of the cut carryhandle though.    One knob is plenty to hold it. It makes a carryhandle usefull again.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I cut mine about a quarter inch in front of the rail grabber.  Cant post pics as im in transit to work.  Basicly just cut the thing off and use a dremel to remove what looks like excess metal.  Flat black spray paint covers up the silver.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
i did it to mine.
yes it works great.

use a sawsall if you have one and finish with a rototool.
make nice clean square cuts and there will be minimal finishing reqd.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice set up FRO.  You are right about the picture of the cut carry handle. Looks like the  Lamp(?) is a part of your set up. Is that a cantilever mount for your Aimpoint?  It looks like it is mounted pretty far foward i.e. scout set up.  Why do you like your set up? I like it, just wanna know your reasoning.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site has a easy to follow procedure.

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/chopacarryhandle.msnw
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Va_Dinger,

Thanks for the link. Info on procedure is pretty much what I had in mind. The ATN ultra sight reticle knob will almost touch the front of the cut carry handle, but will not affect function... I hope
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Va_Dinger,

Thanks for the link. Info on procedure is pretty much what I had in mind. The ATN ultra sight reticle knob will almost touch the front of the cut carry handle, but will not affect function... I hope

Just follow the procedure and I'm sure it will come out fine. Good luck
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's mine.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#10]
^ Outstanding work!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I understand why people do this, but to me it just seems wrong to cut up a carry handle.

My administration has never endorsed cutting down a carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Nice set up FRO.  You are right about the picture of the cut carry handle. Looks like the  Lamp(?) is a part of your set up. Is that a cantilever mount for your Aimpoint?  It looks like it is mounted pretty far foward i.e. scout set up.  Why do you like your set up? I like it, just wanna know your reasoning.

Thats part of the brand new "Super secret Tactical Spec Ops Tiki torch centronella night vision". I shouldnt have posted that pic. Now someone might beat me to the patent office.

Its an Arms cantilever mount. I like it as far foward as I can get it. Its personal preference mostly but if I'm able to get a real night vision monocular or goggles I think having it up foward will be usefull.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Shit, I'll trade you my Bushmaster fixed BUIS (basically a very clean looking A2 sight...same functionality) for your carry handle...

Scott
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]
i sold my carry handle here for $50 and bought  the dpms rear for $64 shipped from rb precision.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice QUIB !! I like it, I like it a lot !!

Marksman14, is this the one you have?
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-643k.asp
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#16]
My chopped carry handle...

Took a whopping 30 minutes to do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Stasher 1,

Looks Great !!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Here's mine.

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/6201BUIS2.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/6201BUIS1.jpg

These are the pics I was referring to. Damn fine job.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My chopped carry handle...

www.hunt101.com/img/172858.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/172860.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/172857.jpg

Took a whopping 30 minutes to do.

This one too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
how did you keep it black and clean cut
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Would I have to re anodize the sight or is a simple paint job going to hold up well  enough?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I hit mine with some Berchwood Casey Alumablack then some of the Krylon Camo Flatblack, it's beeh holding just fine. To get a smooth cut I dressed out the aluminum with fine sand paper and oil. To get the profile of the LMT I used a sanding disc chucked in my cordless drill.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I cut mine- a sawzall to do a rough job, then belt sander and grinder to make nice smooth edges... no pics but i'll get some up as soon as i can- looks like the rest of them here for the most part though... just some flat black krylon made it look good as new...

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I chopped several using an industrial grinder from our mechanic's shop, touched up the rough edges with files and sandpaper, and use the Casey Aluminum black compound to re-color them. I thought they were hack-jobs, but the sales guy from LaRue thought they were factory, and was impressed that I had done them myself, which is the highest compliment I could imagine. If an amateur (well, I guess I was on the clock when I made them) can get those kind of results, you should do fine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
A detach carry handle runs for almost $100.

A detach rear sight that looks like the cut down handle runs for about $70.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine is cut as well. It was a Colt that I got on the EE for $60.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I wouldn't buy a decent carry handle just to chop it up, but if you've already got one...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The DPMS BUIS, which is in the price range you note, has been found to be less rugged and less capable of holding zero than some are comfortable with.  The LMT, which is much more rugged, is about $120.  

If you already have a carry handle and have no use for it, take the saw to it.  If not, buy the LMT.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=AR0905&back=yes

$100 bucks?  I figure if you're gonna hack it up, this would be fine.  I plan on using it until I get my aimpoint, then when I finally get it, I'll just hack it down and slap it on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top