Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2003 8:50:54 AM EDT
to fit a Bushy lower.  The 9mm options seem to be quite complicated with all the different mags etc. and I'd like to thin them out a bit.  It needs to be FA and I think I'd like the ability to use drum or stick magazines.  Has anyone done this before and eliminated some problems?  Any help appreciated, pictures as well.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually I think I created more problems than I eliminated, but I had some fun.  My preference is with a Colt style upper, but a lot of guys like the Oly system because you can use cheap Sten mags.  FWIW you can use Sten mags in a Colt style too, but you have to make or buy a different mag block.  Check out Amphibians site.  [url]http://www.c3junkie.com/[/url]  He has a really nice 9mm settup.  I bought an ASA upper, but a I hear most folks like RRA better.  I cut mine to 10.5", but I may cut it again to 5" or 6" soon.  How short do you want to go and what do you want to know?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I fired a friend's FA 9mm carbine and decided I wanted one.  I figured accuracy wouldn't be an issue with a 9mm so I'd build it rather than have it built by a precision 'smith like my 223 top (which actually needs to hit little things far away).  I know NOTHING about the 9mm uppers but I assume they are closed-bolt, blowback operation so the gas tube setup would be eliminated.  If all that is true, then I need a parts list to build a FA flat-top 9mm upper with heavy 10" barrel and free-float handguard without front sights.  It'll have a suppressor (which I have already for another gun) and be used for close-range blasting.  I have access to a lathe/mill and could even find my engineering degree somewhere so I'm not a complete idiot.  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Your best bet is to buy a semi-auto 9mm upper complete.  All the current production Colt style uppers use a full-auto bolt, so don't get hung up with the full-auto thing when you call around.  ASA or RRA would be the cheapest in the Colt style.  If you want to keep your eye on the parts boards you can find a true Colt SMG upper.  I wouldn't waste your money on a Colt if you are going to chop it down and put a silencer on it.  What silencer do you want to put on it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Paul.  I have an LEI suppressor from a firm in London, I use it on a .357 Contender now.  How are the Oly Arms 9mm uppers?  I have a brochure from 2003 SHOT Show and they look OK, especially the adapter to use Glock mags.  Are their bolts the same for FA and SA also?  My plan was to chop the barrel, thread for the suppressor and fit a free-float handguard.  My 357 Contender has a 10" barrel and works well (with subsonic handloads) and the can is 10" for a 20" total length.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top