Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 9:56:39 AM EDT
Fired off about 150 rnds of this stuff Sunday and was not impressed. I have Lot7 1991 and the primers are extremely hard. I had at least 3-4 misfires per mag due to incredibly hard primers. When it did fire, performance was ok, but being that unreliable was annoying to say the least.

I have never had this issue with xm193 or wally world white box.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tag.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought some IMG that came in a  Battle pack!

The ammo was TARNISHED only.

Shot just like Q3131/Q3131A same POI

If I could buy the same stuff agian I would.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a OD green battlepack at the last gunshow I went to. My rounds looked really great, nice and shiny. Just lots of misfires. I even tried firing them again and no bang. I won't be buying this stuff again.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Fired off about 150 rnds of this stuff Sunday and was not impressed. I have Lot7 1991 and the primers are extremely hard. I had at least 3-4 misfires per mag due to incredibly hard primers. When it did fire, performance was ok, but being that unreliable was annoying to say the least.

primers were hard???? jeez  i just read a thread that the primers where soft...wtf is going on?? sounds like junk all around but  i still want to try some!!  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do you have an aftermarket hammer spring or other alteration? I have not seen this and the 5.56 primers are supposed to be hard anyways. I've burned several packs so far of the ratty looking stuff and I have not had 1 single problem. Never had a problem with it lighting off.

Ya'll just stay away from it, more for me!! Maybe the price will drop and I can pick it up for 5 cents a round.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
All of it I've shot so far went bang w/o any problems at all.   Smelly powder, yes.  Accurate? Out of my middy it's a tad better than Q3131.  

How would you describe the smell?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How would you describe the smell?

More pungent than other M193 I've shot, stronger smell than Wolf, but not as sulpher smelling.

Just not the normal smell that you get with WWB, Q3131 or XM193.  Not that it really matters to me.

Not an ammonia-like smell, was it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Smells like S.A. cat piss sortof.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Check the installation of your hammer spring.  I'll bet its installed backwards.

Hammer spring thread.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Did you do the "15 minute trigger job" on your rifle?  Do you have any other trigger modifications?

I will state this - I did get some fail to fire on the Guat in my (last) rifle that has the "15 minute trigger job" modification.  This mod clips one of the hammer springs, and while greatly improving trigger feel, it does reduce the strike on the primer.  Occasionally you will get light strikes on harder primers.  I get light strikes from time to time with this mod, on Q3131A and South African ammo, so I stopped performing the mod on my weapons.

That being said - 5.56 ammo made for semi-auto free floating firing pins are *supposed* to have harder primers than commercial small rifle primers.  This is a GOOD thing.

I did get three light strikes on Guat, out of 100 rounds in the modified weapon.  My other two AR's have been 100%.  In my experience, the guat primers are EXACTLY where they should be.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I will be honest, I got a crate and only found a VERY few rounds with few minor spots where the box touched the brass. I have not unboxed all of it but did spot checks on enough to be satisfied with the apearance. I have shot maybe 200-300 rounds or so and it went bang just fine. IF I knew that I would get the same quality Id order another. Seems lots of talk of tarnish and corrosion. I simply dont want to hassle with taking a chance of having to ship some back. IF the guys at AIM were to uncrate it and throw it in ammo cans loose after confirming its OK I would buy more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#16]
If I had the extra funds right now I'd buy a case or two, as long as it didn't look like what some of the other members received.

I'm about finished with the one battlepack I bought last month. My Stag loved that stuff, I'd like to see how it shoots in my old SP1.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top