Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2002 3:00:00 PM EDT
Yes, I use rubber gloves when loading ammo on stripper clips for storage purposes, primarily because I don't want the natural oils from my hands to get on the ammo.  Anyone else do this?  

I just always feel safer wearing rubbers when handling strippers.  (Sorry, couldn't help myself.  ;-)

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Rubber may cause you to sweat and leave DNA evidence. Maybe cotton would be better.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear lightweight cotton gloves when handling my ammo. I have found that over time, ammo which has been handled by bare hands tends to tarnish a lot sooner. I have been blasting my SHTF stash I put away in '93, all have been sure fire, but the brass was beginning to show signs of tarnish. The ammo was stored in .50 cal. cans with dessicant packs. I have some other ammo of about the same vintage which has been handled with gloved hands only, and it is as shiny as the day it was canned.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I use old socks on my hands. The revolutionaries of the War of 1776 didn't have to worry about fingerprints.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, I use them, but it usually involves cattle.

Good idea on the cloth gloves w/ammo, have to give that a go.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
mine doesn't sit around long enough to tarnish. I've never understood the cache ammo philosophy. Every round i have is shft ammo and fun ammo. I keep around 2k reloaded at all times and rotate through it on a regular basis.
That way i always have fresh ammo. guess i am just different that way.

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I use nitrile gloves myself.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I use mechanic's latex gloves when loading stripper clips for storage; my hands do sweat, but the moisture is contained inside the glove.

O'DubhGhaill
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a lot of pulled bullets that I keep for photographic/comparison purposes.  When I handle those and my storage ammo, I wear rubber gloves.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Are those the mil-spec rubber gloves that come in the sealed package? You know, the pre-ban ones that are almost gone for good. Do you also wear them when applying the ammo can gasket preservation compound.

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear Hatch Nomex Aviators gloves when
loading, unloading,stripper clipping and anything having to do with shooting. They seem like they
were made for that kind of thing.

Yes, I too
wear the single 'digit'Mil-Spec, Disposable latex gloves when
exploring the wee hours of the night with a female operator of questionable whereabouts.hmm,
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I use lintless cotton darkroom gloves. If and when the day of reckoning comes, one thing that won't be on any brass is is fingerprints.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
single 'digit' Mil-Spec, Disposable latex gloves

Good one
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I use lintless cotton darkroom gloves. If and when the day of reckoning comes, one thing that won't be on any brass is is fingerprints.

When that day comes it won't matter.

mike
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When that day comes it won't matter.

mike

Actually, I envision the possibility of having to prune the political tree short of a SHTF scenario. But then that's just me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
DFBonnett -

That was a thought of mine as well.  The main reason I wear gloves is to avoid the natural oils from my hands getting on the cartridge cases, which can cause them to tarnish.  

But, it isn't a bad idea to avoid fingerprints either.  I started thinking about this when some folks suggested the snipper(s) could have grabbed some spent brass from any range and planted the case at a crime scene.

I'm not planning to do anything illegal, but I also think its prudent to avoid something, in this case fingerprints, that might lead to me being falsely accused.  

Is this too paranoid?  (Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me!! ;-)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top