Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/1/2011 6:37:21 PM EDT
And bought 2 Mega Machine stripped lowers at the gun show. The guy from Hill Country Black Rifles said they were good platforms to start with. Question-I have really gone through all 31 pages on the build forum and even though there is not a lot of specific information, the LPKs from PSA, DD, or DPMS or who ever, all seem to be pretty much the same, right? I want to at least get the internals in and then worry about uppers and stocks at a later (when I have more money) time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:42:37 PM EDT
Well. Not all parts are created the same. DPMS and Del Ton parts kits are GTG.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:45:56 PM EDT
I've had numerous issues with DPMS lower parts kits. DD has the best LPKs I've seen. I quit buying LPKs a while back though, I just get the parts I need from PSA now, haven't had any issues so far.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:53:03 PM EDT
IME PSA LPK's are some of the best bang for your buck. The only thing I don't like is the new style selector, but its really not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:06:17 PM EDT
I have a DPMS LPK. It's functionally good to go but the finish is terrible. I may have gotten a bad run or something so I can't say they all look this bleh.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:09:23 PM EDT
+1 PSA
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:48:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fatkid_mayfield:
+1 PSA

Ditto. Great price for a lot of good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:18:57 PM EDT
I've used DPMS, Doublestar/J&T, and PSA kits. I only used the DPMS kits because they were all i could find at a decent price during the rush. I wouldn't use another one as it feels very rough compared to the other two. I also like the spiral styles roll pins vs the split style. PSA and Doublestar both use spiral. They go in so much easier to me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:39:29 PM EDT
Rey is a good guy, and I have 2 of his Mega lowers, but have only built one.

The PSA parts kit works great in it, BTW.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:47:51 AM EDT
LPKs basically just hold springs and detents where they are supposed to be. Functionally, they should all work the same. My first build was a DPMS parts kit which worked fine, but I bought a PSA kit without the FCG (already had another FCG to put into it) and it installed much easier than the DPMS! Specifically, the roll pins went in without a hitch!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:36:13 AM EDT
DD no problems at all>
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2011 11:28:47 AM EDT by devinsdad]
You are correct. The majority of ALL the LPK's are all the same. Springs, detents, pins....there isn't rocket science in making them. The hammer/trigger is the majority of the cost followed by the bolt and mag release. All the rest is common parts. Stick to major companies and you should be fine. I used Spikes in my last one. This, based on the roll pin style (sprial vs. split) and price. Lot of Ford vs. Chevy in the LPK's. Buy something on sale, how often do you hear of a detent, spring, roll pin or other LPK part breaking?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:25:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By devinsdad:
You are correct. The majority of ALL the LPK's are all the same. Springs, detents, pins....there isn't rocket science in making them. The hammer/trigger is the majority of the cost followed by the bolt and mag release. All the rest is common parts. If you are planning on using an aftermarket trigger, try G&R tactical. You can bit and piece a LPK together and only pay for what you need. I used Spikes in my last one. This, based on the roll pin style (sprial vs. split) and price. Lot of Ford vs. Chevy in the LPK's. Buy something on sale, how often do you hear of a detent, spring, roll pin or other LPK part breaking?

Mag catches break, usually at the point where the post is pressed in. Mag catch buttons hang up in lowers. Trigger/Hammer pins snap in half, usually the hammer pin. I've seen mag catches that wouldn't even fit in lowers because of the number of burrs on them. I've seen bolt catches so full of casting holes I couldn't decide which hole the roll pin went through. Sear engagement surfaces that looked and felt like they were polished by throwing them down the driveway. It may not be rocket science, but some companies can't seem to get it right most of the time. Namely, DPMS.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:55:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By STX:
And bought 2 Mega Machine stripped lowers at the gun show. The guy from Hill Country Black Rifles said they were good platforms to start with. Question-I have really gone through all 31 pages on the build forum and even though there is not a lot of specific information, the LPKs from PSA, DD, or DPMS or who ever, all seem to be pretty much the same, right? I want to at least get the internals in and then worry about uppers and stocks at a later (when I have more money) time.

No. Not all lpks are the same.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:01:12 PM EDT
Just installed a PSA one and it was gtg
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:55:46 PM EDT
I used PSA LPK's on the last three builds I did. Excellent parts and good prices also.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:47:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By devinsdad:
You are correct. The majority of ALL the LPK's are all the same. Springs, detents, pins....there isn't rocket science in making them. The hammer/trigger is the majority of the cost followed by the bolt and mag release. All the rest is common parts. If you are planning on using an aftermarket trigger, try G&R tactical. You can bit and piece a LPK together and only pay for what you need. I used Spikes in my last one. This, based on the roll pin style (sprial vs. split) and price. Lot of Ford vs. Chevy in the LPK's. Buy something on sale, how often do you hear of a detent, spring, roll pin or other LPK part breaking?

I get what you're trying to do, but is it kosher to promote a business here that got kicked off the forums?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:26:58 AM EDT
Not trying to do anything but help the OP out. As far as the company and it's relationship with this site, I didn't know anything about that. I haven't had any of the probblems described with LPK's. Then again, I've yet to give my money to DPMS.
Top Top