Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2004 7:24:47 AM EDT
So My pre-ban was absolutly horribly un reliable a couple weeks back. Infact I'd been having some problems with it since I got it but nothing bad. Than it went form not to bad to just down right I don't even want to shoot the damn thig cuz I was having to clear malfunctions FTfeeds left and right almost every other round.

At first I thought it was the ammo(M193 01 and 02 LC brass) But there was no way it could have been that. Than I started thinking it was the mags. Rounds were stove pipein' slaming into the front of the mag, all sorts of shit. Nope not the mags(used the same one as last time I shot it they all ran 100% this time).

I wasn't sure what it was and I'm still not. I got antsy and decided to rip the gun apart. Took off the frontsight, took off the gas tube just checking everything out. Maybe the tube was dirty or something?

Nothing seemed to be wrong with it. So I put it back together. Yesterday I took it out to test fire it.  Ran 3 mags of the new wolf 55gr through it. Not a single problem. Than I ran 5 mags of the same LC ammo through it(same ammo as before). Not a damn problem. Got the barrel hot enough you could light a smoke off it(someone actually did wish I had the camera with me that was kinda funny).

So anyone got an idea of what the hell the problem could have been? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the front sight wasn't in place right and it wan't getting enough gass or something. I know when I put it back together that the front sight is a tad bit further back than it originaly was. Could that have been the problem, the front sight not being in the correct place?

Can anyone shed some light on this or have an idea at all?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of gas block/front sight base is it?  I would think with a standard, pinned sight base it would go back exactly in the same place.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What kind of gas block/front sight base is it?  I would think with a standard, pinned sight base it would go back exactly in the same place.

Not really sure this is the first time I ever pulled an AR apart like that. I do know that the FSB was slightly canted to the right before I took it off. But not that much. Don't know if that would do anything. Like I said I really don't know why it wouldn't run. But the only things to come off the gun were the FS, FSB and gas tube(and the hand guards obviously). Thats it, I didn't clean the gas tube or anything else. I didn't even lube the thing before I shot it yesterday. It's a mystery to me. Thats why I'm asking for ideas because I have no clue.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a guess, but maybe their was not enough gas being tossed back to the carrier by the canted front site, and you corrected it. Not sure, but if it works now, don't mess with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just a guess, but maybe their was not enough gas being tossed back to the carrier by the canted front site, and you corrected it. Not sure, but if it works now, don't mess with it.

Thats where I'm at with it. I'm not screwing with it again till I put a FFtube on it and the flat top upper(it wears an A1 right now and I hate it).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top