Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 1:50:53 PM EDT
I am having Rick Kuehl build a 10 inch .22lr upper with a 1:9 twist barrel for shooting of Aguila 60 grain at 950 fps.

kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/

It will do full auto and cost ~3 cents a shot and have just as much power as most subsonic 5.56mm.

He said he won't start it until he finishes is current batch of 100 barrels. But if enough people say that also want a 1:9 twist .22, maybe he will prioritize it. He did say he wants one for himself.

I hope it has a generous chamber for reliable feeding.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested in one.  How much?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Look on his web site.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I had been planning to go with one of his 5 inch barrels and use standard velocity ammo...   I guess the advantage of the way you propose is much more energy and better accuracy?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#4]
What I propose makes sense for people with silencers because when you go subsonic (to avoid ballistic crack), you lose energy. One way to get that back is with a heavier bullet. Normal bullets are 40 grain. The Aguila SSS is 60 grain. That is like shooting subsonic 5.56mm, except it is 3 cents a shot instead of $1 a shot.

I think normal 40 grain bullets are most accurate in the normal 1:16 twist.

The Aguila is a little on the slow side in a 5 inch barrel. I read it reaches max speed in a 10 inch barrel (but is still subsonic). As much as I would like a 5 inch barrel, I feel 10 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What I propose makes sense for people with silencers because when you go subsonic (to avoid ballistic crack), you lose energy. One way to get that back is with a heavier bullet. Normal bullets are 40 grain. The Aguila SSS is 60 grain. That is like shooting subsonic 5.56mm, except it is 3 cents a shot instead of $1 a shot.

I think normal 40 grain bullets are most accurate in the normal 1:16 twist.

The Aguila is a little on the slow side in a 5 inch barrel. I read it reaches max speed in a 10 inch barrel (but is still subsonic). As much as I would like a 5 inch barrel, I feel 10 is the way to go.

Right, I was going to get the 5" to keep standard velocity ammo subsonic, but I'm new to silencers (as in this will be my first ) and wasn't aware of this Aguila SSS ammo.

If you're making a list to convince Rick Kuehl, write me down and let me know when to send him money.  [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Just email him and say "Please put me on the 1:9 twist SSS barrel list and notify me if you are going to do a run of them, as I will probably get one."

[email protected]

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck getting your barrels.  His current batch has been delayed 4 months, and isn't going to be delivered until late May at best.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good luck getting your barrels.  His current batch has been delayed 4 months, and isn't going to be delivered until late May at best.

Not a problem, most people with an attention span no longer than a music video won't have the patience to deal with the wait to get a Form 1 for their SBR and Form 4 for their silencer, so they won't be on the list for these barrels anyway.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Rick's talent is his curse! He'l never be out of this business, we can't let him!  Lol.  Has anyone had him do an alternative chambering say for match grade .22lr...?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I am in on the current run for a 5" upper. If I decided to try out a 10" 1:9 barrel, how hard would it be to swap them out? Do they require fitting/mating to the kits? It sounds interesting but I really don't want to have two complete 22lr uppers. In any case I will probably wait until I get the one I have on order and try it out before ordering another.

It does sound like Rick has been successful in selling the current run. The web site says he only has 15 remaining out of the 100. It will probably not be too much trouble get enough people interested.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:01:06 AM EDT
[#11]
The proceedure for swaping out bbls is simple for dedicated .22 uppers assuming no complications from FF tubes / rails:
1) get to bbl nut (remove hand guards)
2) remove bbl nut w/bbl nut wrench
3) replace new bbl
4) replace bbl nut.
5) replace handguards

EASY DAY
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a problem, most people with an attention span no longer than a music video won't have the patience to deal with the wait to get a Form 1 for their SBR and Form 4 for their silencer, so they won't be on the list for these barrels anyway.

That's very true.  I'm still waiting for a suppressor from AWC on Form 3 after 4 months.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The proceedure for swaping out bbls is simple for dedicated .22 uppers assuming no complications from FF tubes / rails:
1) get to bbl nut (remove hand guards)
2) remove bbl nut w/bbl nut wrench
3) replace new bbl
4) replace bbl nut.
5) replace handguards

EASY DAY

That being the case I may just have to see about getting on  the list.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Has anyone had him do an alternative chambering say for match grade .22lr...?

From e-mails from Rick about 3 years ago:

> What chamber do you use?  Is it the regular "sporting" chamber, or a tighter
> match chamber (like the Bentz that's popular on 10/22s)?

It's the sporting chamber. The Bentz shoots better, but I couldn't get it to
function. Had to go with the slightly looser sporting chamber.

> I was kinda hoping for a "match" chamber and figured a Bentz would work
> since it works on autos like the 10/22.  But 100% function is most
> important.  What kind of failures did it have?

Failures to feed. 100% failure rate.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Will the SSS cycle in full auto?  I have shot it in my pistols without a problem but I've heard lots of guys say they couldn't get it to properly cycle the action of their semiautos.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]
It cycles my pistols. It should be able to cycle with some tuning.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has anyone had him do an alternative chambering say for match grade .22lr...?

From e-mails from Rick about 3 years ago:

> What chamber do you use?  Is it the regular "sporting" chamber, or a tighter
> match chamber (like the Bentz that's popular on 10/22s)?

It's the sporting chamber. The Bentz shoots better, but I couldn't get it to
function. Had to go with the slightly looser sporting chamber.

> I was kinda hoping for a "match" chamber and figured a Bentz would work
> since it works on autos like the 10/22.  But 100% function is most
> important.  What kind of failures did it have?

Failures to feed. 100% failure rate.

Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Will the SSS cycle in full auto?  I have shot it in my pistols without a problem but I've heard lots of guys say they couldn't get it to properly cycle the action of their semiautos.

I have used it in a Ceiner (actually old Atchisson) conversion in an M16 and it functions fine.  With a longer barrel, you get a lot of nasty gas blowback due to the short casing, but it's not too bad with a shorter barrel (around 10").  I made a dedicated barrel for this ammo by chopping off a Colt 1/7 twist AR15 barrel just in back of the gas port.  It works well, but I want to see if I can get better accuracy with a proper chamber and no long smoothbore section before it gets to the rifling.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#19]
RSilvers:
I have a 1-9 BBL with suppressor on my 10/22, and have pretty severe ejection port pop compared to standard lenght case subsonic .22's. Ditto for everything else supressed I have tried it in, except for a belt-fed .22 suppressed, and I surmise that is due to the fact that the case is shielded so completely (bottom ejecting). I think the pop is going to be a real problem in anything semiauto due to the short length case.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top