Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 4:33:21 AM EDT
Of all the AR types, this is the one type I've always wanted that I don't have. I've got the SP1, the 20" A2, the M4, the 16" HBAR, etc. But the CAR-15 style of the Vietnam era has long been one of my favorites. I've wanted one since I was a kid. I could have built one during the ban years I suppose, if I'd wanted to. But it would have been a bastardized creation. Now I will soon be able to have much of the real deal...flash hiders, bayo lugs, stocks that actually collapse, etc.

Now, I know I won't be able to get the original barrel length for legal reasons, not that I would want it if I could. So that doesn't bother me much. I can get a 14.5 or 16" barrel and go from there, as the weapon will have the 5 1/2" flash hider added anyway. So the question is, does any quality manufacturer make new carbine uppers with the old A1 type sights and carry handle? Which buttstock would I need to get the most accurate look? And where can I get a copy of one of the flash hiders of the period? I remember there use to be someone over on the Industrial Forums that made these and I'm sure they still do. But any confirmation or recommendations would still be appreciated.

Some of you may wonder why I want one of these. Afterall, a M4 is much more modern, easier to add optics to, etc. I agree they are. But they are also not the CAR-15 I grew up watching in Vietnam War movies and tv dramas! My childhood hero was good ol' Sgt Zeke Anderson on the tv series Tour of Duty (the guy in my avatar). He carried one of the CAR's starting midway through the first season until the last episode. It was this tv show that attracted me to military style rifles when I was about 11 years old. I even made dad go out and buy an SP1 and a bunch of that PMC M193 ammo that was in abundance then. I'm sure you guys remember those camo boxes it came in?  Anyway, I always promised myself that if I ever had the chance, I'd buy one of these when I had the money someday. Well, it looks like if I want one I'll have to make it. But that's ok too. At least after this shitstain ban is over in a few more days, I can do it the right way.

So if anyone has created a carbine of this type, feel free to share your stories or suggestions. And most importantly, let's see some pics! In my mind, this style is the most sexy of all AR's.

-CH
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:03:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Type in a search for XM177 on this forum and it will bring up SEVERAL threads on this with all the info you need. I would add more to this but I have to go to work right now but if you need photos of the real rifle let me know and I can send you several. I am in the process of doing the same build so maybe we could share info with each other while building these up. Plus Colt_653 on this board makes a kit for this...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet! Sounds like a plan. I'll be sure to check out that info you mentioned also. As far as pics, feel free to post anything you wish but please don't take any great pains to so on my account.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]
As DM1975 stated, perform a search.  I'd search using the following words:  XM177, CAR15, and  CAR-15.  You'll get quite a few hits and lots of info.  This seems to be a question that comes up regularly.  If you have the time, you could post the applicable links on this thread for future reference.  

Dan
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Good Basic info here----
world.guns.ru/assault/as50-e.htm

and a pic

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Kits available in the EE.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top