Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2011 5:37:58 PM EDT
I have been around and building AR's for quite some time now. I've built and currently own 16 different  variations of the AR.

I don't post a lot  but I have been really watching the retro forum here lately and have decided I want to build as accurate as possible replica of the XM177 carbine. I have searched and found many of the answers I needed but I have a few other questions that maybe someone could answer or link me to the info.

What is the correct upper and lower receivers to use?

Is a 10" barrel with a 4.5" Moderator correct?

Who is a good source for the correct parts?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to be 110% anally correct,you want a round forge upper with rebated (counterbored) front lug,no forge code,then a full fence lower..This is for the XM177E2.
Member Brick makes the best non NFA moderator and grenade ring,,,an a lot of us used the bushy lightweight barrel.The cut pin and weld work done by Heatnbeat,Adco,and in past 45bravo.I think he may be on a sabatical for now tho.
The XM177E2 uses the 11.5 barrel + moderator.This ends up less then 16 inches,so you will need to SBR it.If you don't want the hassle of the SBR all above can make it 16in legal,and the difference between the original and 16 in is like 3/8ths in IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you want to be 110% anally correct,you want a round forge upper with rebated (counterbored) front lug,no forge code,then a full fence lower..This is for the XM177E2.
Member Brick makes the best non NFA moderator and grenade ring,,,an a lot of us used the bushy lightweight barrel.The cut pin and weld work done by Heatnbeat,Adco,and in past 45bravo.I think he may be on a sabatical for now tho.
The XM177E2 uses the 11.5 barrel + moderator.This ends up less then 16 inches,so you will need to SBR it.If you don't want the hassle of the SBR all above can make it 16in legal,and the difference between the original and 16 in is like 3/8ths in IIRC.

I appreciate the help. I plan an SBR'ing the rifle.

I know very little about Colt upper/lower receivers. Is there a certain series/part numbers I need to be searching for?
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to SBR it anyway I would build an E1
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
www.retroblackrifle.com

This should help..
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to pick this up: NFA moderator.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the links and info. Now to just find the right lower so I can get started.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the links and info. Now to just find the right lower so I can get started.

A NoDak Spud model NDS-16A1 is correct if you're going to do an E2.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#8]
That is a really nice looking moderator. I'd like to put on that on my xm177 build. I got my 604 upper receiver from that seller. It was a beauty, bet this is too.

Quoted:
You might want to pick this up: NFA moderator.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Still working on getting my parts together. I want to use a Colt lower receiver for this build. What make/model do I need to locate?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt lowers are all full auto NFA item,unless you use an SP1 lower.But those are slab sides and have a large hole for the pivot pin.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Colt lowers are all full auto NFA item,unless you use an SP1 lower.But those are slab sides and have a large hole for the pivot pin.

If he just wants to use Colt, he can always use a modern Colt A2 type lower receiver. Of course, it wouldn't be correct for his rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Who makes a slip-over moderator for a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Bushmaster and DPMS have both had slip-overs for 16".  I have the DPMS one for an HBAR, it's not very accurate looking.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top