Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:08:55 PM EDT
I bought an AR15 lower 2 years ago but I went in to a bad deal and had to sell it before I ever got to add an upper and go to the range with it so I never got to experience the AR15 so I am quite stupid about them.

I am thinking of buying one but I am not to sure which way to go about picking one. I am a heavy shooter and milsurp collector. I will just get to the questions

1. I am in a tight money situation and I have very little to spend so I have my eye on model 1 sales 16" Heavy bbl C.A.R. .223 kit for $435 Has anyone ever purchased this kit? any feedback on it?

2. Now being practical, In my neck of the woods I will probably never need to take a shot any further than 200 yards so what is the range on the 16" C.A.R. and what is its MOA at 200 yards?

3. I have always been a milsurp collector you know like AK's, SKS Mosin's and Mauser's so I am used to the guns that can take a beating and keep on ticking and fire hundreds of rounds per trip to the range my average rounds shot per trip is almost 600 so can the AR hold its own with a rough shooter like me?

4. cleaning.... do I have to clean the AR every trip or can I clean it every couple of trips to the range like my AK and SKS? I usually clean my AK/SKS every 1000 rounds or so

well I think that's it for now thanks for reading and thank you to all who answer my questions
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:13:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 9:15:55 PM EDT by Stickman]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:42:04 PM EDT
One thing you gotta remember. Buying a Model 1 or any other of the 'cheap' kits is NOT the same as getting a quality AR. Do not expect the same kind of reliabilty. Accept it for what it is, something that looks like an M-16 and is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:20:56 PM EDT
I guess the model 1 varieties are junk and your post is the nice way of saying so?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:28:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 762dude:
I guess the model 1 varieties are junk and your post is the nice way of saying so?

Not junk, but pretty ordinary

Parts they sell are not put through he rigors, testing, and certification that makers like Colts, Bushmaster, and some others do.

That doesn't mean their goods aren't capable of many years of service and fun, just that - in order to sell for less, corners have to be cut, and that is typically testing, quality controls, etc.

There are many users here with Mod 1 builds that love them, swear by them, and have no qualms about recommending them to others.

FWIW: you could achieve your goals by going w/a low use second-hand model. Look through the Equipment Exchange as there are often occasionally great deals to be had.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:15:19 AM EDT
Redfisher nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:56:58 AM EDT
I built the very rifle kit from Model 1 Sales that you are looking at. It is a great firearm.

I will admit I changed out the CAR stock for a M-4 style 6 position stock. Here is a link showing my rifle:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=269374

My Model 1 Sales rifle is every bit as reliable as the Colt rifle I carried in the Army just no Auto or Burst capability.

As far as cleaning it, I am with Stickman and clean mine each and everytime after I go to the range. This must be a military training thing.

Good luck. Be sure to post a picture once you complete your build.

CSP
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:00:18 AM EDT
Here is another kit from Del-Ton:
www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=80
I got an upper from them a long time ago and I liked it alot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:18:54 AM EDT
I had a colt, and sold it for a 100 more than I bought it for.....tish tish never should have done that.

Rule number one - never sell a gun!!

Back in April 2002 after hanging out here - I started buying lowers two at a time - they are cheaper that was. First build was a J & T kit - I love that gun - I shoot some service rifle matches and plink with it.

I did take a lady shooting about two weeks ago. on a bench w/ sand bags - she was shooting 4 inch groups at 100 yards. Mind you that she had never shot before (I was drawing her sight pictures at lunch) and this was with IRONS.

I would suggest that you buy a lower reciver, buy a lower parts kit, run down a stock/buffer/buffer tube, and buy a complet upper from either RB Precision or ADCO (look up in the Industry tab). You can buy all Rock River - have a complete gun - and understand and have some pride in it.

This is my take and YMMV,

Badredfish

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:26:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
Redfisher nailed it.

You could go one further. By saving a bit more and maybe selling off a couple duplicate guns you have ( or coming up with cash in an alternate way, say, a garage sale ) you can buy components that are very near Colt / Mil Spec. but more accordingly priced towards your budget. Stag, LMT, CMT, Rock River and Bushmaster all have various components that can fit your budget and you'll be a bit more certain of their origin. You can be frugal but don't be so frugal as to rip yourself off by buying stuff just because it's cheap.

Remember: try to buy once and cry once.....buy cheap and you may be crying more frequently
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:47:34 AM EDT
wow thanks guy I was starting to think I would never get an ARon my budget but you guys helped out alot and i very much appreciate it
Top Top