Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 8:57:23 AM EDT
is it better to buy a M4 type complete rifle from Bushmaster or RRA or is it better to buy a lower and upper and put them together yourself. I'm leaning toward RRA  uppers & lowers if I do anything.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it really matters much either way, but remember you get a complete warranty on a complete rifle if you buy it all at once.  If it's not your first AR and you don't care about the warranty, go ahead and piece it.  You may save a dollar or two doing it that way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what you mean by "better".  But.............it's a lot more fun to put it togeather yourself and you end up knowing it inside and out.   You have the advantage of customizing in the begining and not starting out with features you'll end up replacing.

I like Bushmaster lowers myself.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Bushmaster lowers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#4]
RRA complete lowers or complete uppers are lifetime warranteed.<sp?>

The barrels are heavier, though.  They don't turn down under the handguards.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are looking to build your M4gery, I'd go with an LMT upper, either 16" or 14.5" with a vortex or phantom (these are the closest to a true Colt M4 upper), and any good lower. Bushmaster, RRA, LMT, ammeetec, etc.

If you're going to buy a complete M4 style rifle, the only one I would consider at this point (if I was in the market for an M4gery, which I'm not I already have one ready for the sunset) is a Colt 6920 Law Enforcement Carbine. Its not an M4gery, its a semi automatic only M4 with a 16" barrel. Right now they are LE only but that changes in 8 days... and theres plenty of dealers taking pre-orders.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#6]
If you buy the upper and lower pre-assembled, but at two different times, you should save at least 11%....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm I have never bought a complete all at once AR.......
Everything I have has been pieced together from various suppliers
and all of them work, not a lemon in the bunch.....
If you are remotely handy as in you can figure out a screwdriver 2 out of 2 times
and you can follow instructions anything you build will be just as good as anything you can buy
Just make sure you get all of your parts in kit forms so that you are sure to have everything you need, but you needn't buy all kits from one supplier either.
Shop around and don't let the parts snobs sway you too much.
Can't go too wrong with Bushy, LMT, or colt but the Bushy will save you a couple of bucks....
Bushy lowers are great but a skosh over priced but not by much.
Shop around and don't buy the first thing you find and you should be able to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you buy the upper and lower pre-assembled, but at two different times, you should save at least 11%....

Is there a reason for that number? or is it part of the statistic that "43% of all statistics are made up on the spot"? LoL

Just Curious
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a reason for that number? or is it part of the statistic that "43% of all statistics are made up on the spot"? LoL

Just Curious

There is a USE TAX on complete rifles (10%?).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top