Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:25:39 PM EDT
I give you my .first 22 LR conversion

-Spikes conversion bolt kit and Black Dog Mags
-Bushmaster Carbon 15 ultra-lightweight upper receiver
-Spike's tactical SBR lower
-Midwest Ind. pistol handguard
-6.5" Colt 12 twist chrome lined barrel, cut and concentrically threaded, with no gas system
-CTR
-Ergo grip
-Eotech 551 D1
-Bill Springfield 4 lb trigger
-JET suppressor

**weight without suppressor 4.1 lbs

Runs like a raped ape with CCI standard vel., Eley Subs, CCI minimags, and Aguila Sniper Subsonics, which are not key holing and shoot a 2" group at 50 yards.  Not bad....

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:14:43 AM EDT
[#1]

awwwwwsome.

I'm wanting to build one very similar to that... where did you find the barrel?

-3D
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
That is one sweet machine.  Well done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

awwwwwsome.

I'm wanting to build one very similar to that... where did you find the barrel?

-3D

I bought it off the EE.  There are a few guys cutting them down and re-threading them specifically for use as .22 barrels.  If you keep looking they come up every few days in lengths of anywhere from 4 to 10 inches, as they are cut just behind the gas block.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet

Headshot a hog with it yet ??
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sweet

Hahaha, No.  I am still testing my 6.8 subsonics and the suppressed 77/.44.  But, you have read my mind.  The 60 grain SSS loads are for driving around in the truck.  If I see one real close, I can just whip it out the window and pop the pig in the side with 6-8 shots before it can blink its eye  It shoots them into about 2-2.5 inches at 50 yards, and I have to wonder if I might get a little better accuracy with a 1-9" twist.  I am pretty obsessive about accuracy, so I have an 11.5" A1 profile (lightweight ) on order, which will be non-chrome lined, for trying to get better accuracy with the SSS.  

Do any of you .22 rimfire conversion experts have any other suggestions for me as far as accuracy is concerned?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet

Hahaha, No.  I am still testing my 6.8 subsonics and the suppressed 77/.44.  But, you have read my mind.  The 60 grain SSS loads are for driving around in the truck.  If I see one real close, I can just whip it out the window and pop the pig in the side with 6-8 shots before it can blink its eye  It shoots them into about 2-2.5 inches at 50 yards, and I have to wonder if I might get a little better accuracy with a 1-9" twist.  I am pretty obsessive about accuracy, so I have an 11.5" A1 profile (lightweight ) on order, which will be non-chrome lined, for trying to get better accuracy with the SSS.  

Do any of you .22 rimfire conversion experts have any other suggestions for me as far as accuracy is concerned?

I've got a 16" 1:9" RRA barrel (not chrome lined), which is something I was planning on building myself for the same purpose.  Should be a lot of fun once I have it up and running...

Definitely sounds like you have fun with yours!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few 22s, but no conversions.

Have a Savage mkII that will shoot wolf 1050 target match ammo less than .25" at 25 yards but its pokey.
Best group at 100 yards was 3/4" but mostly from 3/4 to 1 1/2" in wind.

That said each rifle is different and ammo accuracy changes with each accordingly.
One might shoot good in one rifle terrible in another.

I know a guy that shoots whinchester power points in his rifle, and they shoot very tight.
In my rifles they are all over the place. In the mark II about 3" at 50.

I have a brick of Auila 1470 ammo, but have yet to try it out. Hoping that will shoot moderately tight.
I am looking for some high velocity ammo for hunting and hope that will shoot tight enough.

Just for kicks try out some wolf 1050 sometime at 25 yards. It might take about 20 shots before it starts shooting tight.
I also have seen my rifle start to open up after about 75 shots of that ammo. Heard it from someone else too.
They are heavily lubed.

I have a distant cousin that will hog hunt only with a 22LR.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top