Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/18/2003 9:03:44 PM EDT
I couldn't decide before between getting a carbine or full length AR, or A2 or flattop sights. I think I've decided now to go with the bushmaster 20" A2 model. I'm thinking that if I wanted to get a precision AR then I could get a 24" barrel with free float handguards and pimp it out into a sniper rifle for my second AR, and then later get a third carbine length AR for blasting. At first I kind of wanted to combine all three into my first rifle but now I think it would be better to specialize and get just the plain 20" A2 model first, because it is the most authentic military looking and also because I will have to qualify with it when I join the Navy next year. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2003 9:12:58 PM EDT by Hoplophile]
You'll be more satisfied if you get the flat-top. It allows more options, has a carry handle so you can still practice for using an A2 in the service, and don;t forget that much of the military is switching to flat-topped M4 and M16A4 weapons. If the Bushmaster you're looking at has the heavy barrel then you may find it too heavy. Make sure you handle a 20" A2 barrel that is thinner under the handguards so that you can compare the weight and handling. You should also try to get your hands on some of the shorter carbine models before spending cash. As for using a 24" as the target rifle, it's up to you but the miltiary is using 18" barrels for some really long range shots.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:13:22 PM EDT
define "sniper rifle" The 20" A2 is a good choice IMHO for a first AR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:11:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2003 10:25:07 PM EDT by CJan_NH]
The 20" A2 is an excellent first AR. You can even mount optics to the carry handle, just as long as you realize that doing so isn't as ideal as mounting them directly to the receiver. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably start with an A3 flattop with removable carry handle because of my desire for optics. If you intend to stick with stock iron sights an A2 will serve you extremely well. If you think that you may eventually mount a scope then an A3 flattop might be a more prudent choice. Here is one of my ARs with a carry handle mounted scope: [img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/HBAR_leupold.JPG[/img] Just for the heck of it I tried the same scope on my M4 and it worked great too: [img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_Scope.JPG[/img] Good luck with your first AR. They tend to multiply like rabbits so get ready [:D]
Top Top