Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 12:40:10 AM EDT
Hey Guys! I hope ya'll had a good week.

Anyways, i have been doing some thinking on how I want to set up my brand new AR. It's the first AR I have ever owned. I have done some shooting with AR's, but all of that range time was done with steel sights.

In this day of Red Dot Optics and Lasers (Optics in general including scopes) it seems like a rare thing to come across a AR using the stock sites. I don't have anything against Red Dot Optic devices...I have both a Hakko "Halo" type sight and a laser mounted to my trusty M2 Carbine, and I have a blast (pardon the pun!) with that gun every time I take her shooting. Of course my 10/22 has a scope mounted on it too. But now that I am starting fresh with the AR I've decided to keep her basically 'accessory free'.

The reason?

Well, first off I like the way an AR15 looks. The gun has great lines, and even non AR people agree, the gun just plain looks good. When I decided to get an AR, I was looking for a medium sized package, something comfortable to carry as well as shoot. I wanted a weapon that was weather resistant, and something with decent range all while being easily handled at close range.  I thought about getting an HK MP5 copy, but there were alot of reasons not to. And I haven't looked back since. (the MAIN drawback was the 9MM chambering, I wanted more punch)

Don't get me wrong, I think Electronic sites and lasers not only look good, but are fun to use while shooting, but adding those things on this gun (again for MY use) didn't make much sense. Even a flashlight didn't fit into the picture. When things go BUMP in the night, I reach for my Glock 17, and have done so for the last 15 years. I got the AR to go shooting with, and to do a little pig hunting once in awhile. I would be too worried about beating up or muddying up the sites to take them hunting.

I haven't had this gun for very long, but it has quickly become one of my favorites. I do plan on adding some mods (perhaps some night sights) but for now I think I'm gonna keep it pretty much stock, and learn to use it that way before adding anything else on. I do know that this will not be my ONLY AR15 and am already looking into building one for fun, so maybe I will leave the gadjet adding for a future project.

In any case, I am really happy I decided on this gun, and I've found the knowledge found here on the board very valueable. Thanks Guys!!!

E
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you will find your opinion the only one around here. I agree that the AR is beautiful in full stock form. I also agree that you should first learn to shoot with iron sights. That being said, optics make you shoot faster and better plain and simple. The rifle become that much more efficient with glass. You already pointed out this will not be your only AR. I see a fully tricked out M4gery in your future
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't go wrong with the standard A2 or the carbine configuration.
Everyone should own at least one free of all the bells and whistles, the K.I.S.S. principal is tried and true.
After all there is no substitute for good rifleman/marksmanship skills.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]

amen on those "out of the box" good looks.      the stock alpha deuce platform works and

looks fantastic imho.    since nobody can have just one black rifle, it's like you say.......

plan to go whole hog on your next piece.     shooting  your rifle as issued will give you

some valuable insight as to what you might want to start with extra on your next AR.

have  fun !!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#4]
cool, post pics
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm even thinking of doing a M16a1 type thing for my fourth rifle. I enjoy the Vietnam Era rifles. I see DPMS is selling A1 uppers and the furniture would be no problem. Couple of Colt 20 rds...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I totally agree. The more people put on ARs these days, the more I want to leave mine stock. I think you should go for a Classic Carbine look with all the "evil" features after the ban expires. Go A3 with a carry handle just in case you want to add something later. Good Luck.
Hispeedal1-Out
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my A2,  I wouldn't trade it for a A4 any day of the week,
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top