Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2013 8:59:37 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting either a new barrel or a whole upper.

It looks like the S&W M&P15R and the Spikes uppers are unavailable right now.

Are there any good carbine length fixed FSB 5.45 barrels/uppers available right now?

Edit:  No piston uppers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:21:28 AM EDT
Try Ballistic Advantage.  I've one of their 5.45 bbls and it is serving me well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:41:02 AM EDT
Just out of vulgar curiosity, how many rounds?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:07:00 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I had over 12k through a Spikes upper and it was still good.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:29:16 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

About 6000.  About 1 in 3 rounds are key-holing now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:06:15 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just 6,000 rounds.  Wow.  Was your barrel chrome lined?  Most 5.45 is corrosive.  Did you clean your gun immediately after going to the range?
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 4:02:36 AM EDT
If he was doing a lot of bump firing or rapid mag dumps then it could be well shot out in 6K if it were not chrome lined.  First thing I would do though is really clean that barrel well with a copper remover until no blue patches came out.  Then remove the FS and make sure there is not a lot of carbon buildup at the muzzle causing an irregular 'crown.'  Then it would not cost that much to have a smith bore scope your throat and see if it is actually eroded to the point that it needs replacing.  And last, I would certainly replace the barrel over buying a new upper.  If you look around you can find quite a few 5.45 barrels: Midway, Brownells, Spikes, AIMS,...
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:22:20 PM EDT
Adams Arms is the way to go
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:20:13 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same issue with a Model 1 Sales barrel from the start, and they were key-holing at 25M.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:06:21 PM EDT
If it's the barrel, buy a new one from ballistic advantage.  Call them up and they will send it quick, only thing is you need to buy a different gas block sight system so you dont have to drill the holes for your old A2 front sight. I recommend a yankee hill machine front sight gas block.  Before anything a good cleaning of your barrel should be done to see if its just that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:29:19 AM EDT
Is anyone else noticing increases heat/errosion wear with their 5.45s?  I have had to replace my gas rings twice in 2000 rounds on my S&W
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 9:03:49 PM EDT
Quoted:
Is anyone else noticing increases heat/errosion wear with their 5.45s?  I have had to replace my gas rings twice in 2000 rounds on my S&W
View Quote

No. What ammo are you using these days? I don't see anything like that from Surplus or Hornady. I am running mostly military surplus. How about you?
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 10:17:21 PM EDT
All Mil surplus
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:58:15 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't needed to replace any gas rings.  However there is a great deal of pitting on the tail of the bolt.  That area seems to rust fast on mine.

-

Any update on the barrel?
Top Top