Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2008 11:17:41 AM EDT
Hi guys.....I need some help. I had an AR bult for me a few years ago and the free float hand guard kept coming loose. I didn't know any better, so I put some red loctite on the threads and its been solid since then. Well, now I want to put a new quad rail on it and I can't get the tube to budge. I've even broken my strap wrench on it. Am I just out of luck ? Is there a way to weaken that red loctite ? I would like to save the handquard if I can.....but if not.....oh well. Any help would be greatly appreciated........Rick
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi guys.....I need some help. I had an AR bult for me a few years ago and the free float hand guard kept coming loose. I didn't know any better, so I put some red loctite on the threads and its been solid since then. Well, now I want to put a new quad rail on it and I can't get the tube to budge. I've even broken my strap wrench on it. Am I just out of luck ? Is there a way to weaken that red loctite ? I would like to save the handquard if I can.....but if not.....oh well. Any help would be greatly appreciated........Rick

The only way to do that is with heat. Be careful not to over do it.

"Cured product must be heated to 500º F before parts will seperate".

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Heat.  It's gonna take a little heat.  Go slow with a propane torch as not to toast the finish and get yourself a RIDGID strap wrench from a plumbing store.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I seem to recall that heat will loosen it up, but how much I'm not sure of.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Heat.  It's gonna take a little heat.  Go slow with a propane torch as not to toast the finish and get yourself a RIDGID strap wrench from a plumbing store.

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Red Loctite breaks down at 500 degrees F
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
OK.....Thanks guys......Will 500 degrees hurt my upper ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK.....Thanks guys......Will 500 degrees hurt my upper ?

No
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Methylene Chloride (Paint stripper) will soften it.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to Sears and buy a heat gun!!  A lot safer!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Where are you in texas?  A good upper vise, a heat gun and a strap wrench will get it done.  I've done it before.

I'm in Houston, and have all three.

Also, if you don't care about the handguard, a pipe wrench will help.

- AG
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in Wichita Falls......about 6 hrs. from Houston. I picked up a RIGID strap wrench today on my way home from work hat thing is alot stouter than the one I broke. I'm gonna go slow with my small torch and try not to ruin anything. Do I have to break it loose while its hot or can I heat it up and try to break it loose after it cools down a bit. I'm worried about melting my action block.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Before you get started heating, wrap a cold wet towel around your upper and action block.  It will serve as a heat sink to the extra energy bleeding away from the handguard.

You can heat it up and then let it cool before trying to loosen the handguard.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks a bunch guys.......I'll let you know how it turns out..........Rick
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Where are you in texas?  
I thought you were going to say "put it out in the sun for an afternoon."

It's a good idea to put layers of something that will soak up heat on everything BUT the area that is Locktited.  That way the only part that actually gets hot is the right area, and the other parts stay relatively cool.  Wet shop towels is a good way to do this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You also might want to buy/borrow an action block to help you secure your upper... ETA:  Watch the heat!  Regardless, good luck!  You might post in the TX Hometown Forum because I'm sure there's somebody close that can help.

B2

I used to live in Wichita Falls many years ago... It's not as bad as everybody says but I'm glad I'm back in my "native" home!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I used to live in Wichita Falls many years ago... It's not as bad as everybody says but I'm glad I'm back in my "native" home!  
No, it isn't all that bad.  But it's still Wichita Falls...

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top