Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 12:45:50 PM EDT
After reading some the posts here and there about loosing a part or breaking a part in addition to pinching a spring (don't ask), I decided to get together an emergency parts kit.

What do you think?

CSP
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like you need to order some more parts
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had a carbine end plate or semi sear take a walk on their own, but have seen a few bolts break in half, you should at least have a spare bolt and extractor.  Good call on the cotter pins, selector springs, safety springs and detents
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]

+1

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never had a carbine end plate or semi sear take a walk on their own, but have seen a few bolts break in half, you should at least have a spare bolt and extractor.

I can't bring myself to throw away my plates when I replace them either.  I keep telling myself that they will come in useful some day.....

Hehehe me too!  Now I have half a dozen of them things
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never had a carbine end plate or semi sear take a walk on their own, but have seen a few bolts break in half, you should at least have a spare bolt and extractor.

I can't bring myself to throw away my plates when I replace them either.  I keep telling myself that they will come in useful some day.....

same problem here along with the std charging handle latches
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Needs more cowbell!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Gas rings my man.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
good thinkin.  thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Good start.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you have a bunch of parts you dont really need and none of the ones you really need.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't know how large of a parts assortment you have, or how yours is laid out, but I would guess you started somewhere....  I know I did.

He specificaly asked what we think, I told him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like he has a good start there.     Too many shooters don't even have any spare parts.

I got a box from Bushmaster today.  I decided I needed a taller front sight post to try out, and since I was already ordering stuff......               I got the field repair kit and the lost parts kit to add to my parts stash.  Now I have enough small parts for several AR's, although I only have one carrier in there.  I had so many parts I had to move them from a small tupperware into a tool tray organizer, somewhat like CSP's setup, but about 2x as big.       It's now totally stuffed.

I tack small parts onto most of my AR related orders.  I find that generally it's loss, not breakage, that causes the need for spares.

One note though - add a broken shell extractor to that kit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Haha that's cool
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know how large of a parts assortment you have, or how yours is laid out, but I would guess you started somewhere....  I know I did.

He specificaly asked what we think, I told him.

If I have to pull this car over.....  you kids are gonna ALL get it !  LOL

Good start, but also good advice, re: bolt, gas rings, etc.....
You'll never regret having more spares than you think you need.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#20]
True, Stickman.  I didn't say I was losing all those parts.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#21]
nice start....where'd you get the case?  

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#22]
very nice indeed - good idea
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#23]
parts kit??????  its empty............

cool, can I have a copy of that cover?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

be careful! they may turn into another rifle!
w00t!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I have only used most of the spare parts to build another rifle, or given them to people that have broken Bushmaster parts
The ones I have needed and used are cotter prins and extractors.  I hammered a crooked cotter pin in the bolt carrier in frustration one day and broke it, the extractor broke on a well used bolt (by the previous owner).  Otherwise the detents and detent springs are easily lost but not broken in my experience, so it's a good idea to keep a few around for yourself and others when their bolt carriers break in half and their buffer detent and springs go missing
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Be careful.

You'll start out with a small spare parts kit.

And it up with an entire AR build / repair center.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I built up a spares kit.

Went to Bass Pro Shop and picked up a case very similar to the one above, but mine had very thick latches.  Clear with the compartment walls that can be arranged to your needs.  Paid a whopping $1.50.  

I then sat down with a list of spares that I got from this site (thanks Gents) and spent some time on Brownell's site ordering parts, using my discount.

After building up a lower and launching those damned detents, I bought a bunch!!

I had a lot of fun on this project and always pick up a part here and there from the local fun show or from the EE.

I would suggest putting a rubber band around the case in the event that you drop it and it pops open and your stuff goes everywhere.     Ask me how I know....    

ETA:  Rabbit9, that is the direction I am heading in now.  I also have some loc tite, punches, picks and other little tools in the kit too.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#28]
No_Expert,

I got the case from Wal-Mart.  It's made by RubberMade and I found it in the tool section.  Very inexpensive.

As far as the parts I went with in my initial order - I went with items I had seen get damaged/lost in builds as well from use.  I plan to get more parts as I go along.  

CSP
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I would like to get a copy of your parts diagram...Where did it come from?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I would like to get a copy of your parts diagram...Where did it come from?

Same here, if possible!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#31]
SgtSauer & Hellhound,

I found it here posted on AR15.Com some time ago and saved it.  It is just printed out and cut slightly to get it to fit.

Here you go:

I hope me posting this picute doesn't upset anyone.

CSP
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top