Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 1:35:12 PM EDT
I dont understand how people who do serious field work can trust a lever on there weapon.  My eotech larue eotech mount came right off when I tried to go through some bad brush last weekend I really like the mount so I secured the lever on the mount with some zip ties but damn that kind of defeats the purpose of the mount.  

I rememeber one time at fort hood I walked maybe fifteen meters into some really thick brush and the brush pulled my canteens and my NVG case right off my ALICE gear I had that shit taped to the belt too so I guess I should know better.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
How tight were your levers?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How tight were your levers?

I torqued the nut on the mount pretty good when I installed it. Hard enough so as to wonder if I was damaging the surefire rail system
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
And if you're really nervouse about it - LaRue is now offering a new locking lever for extra security.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny that lever tightened QD scope mounts that I am familiar with for hunting rifles never come lose and they get does after dose of recoil FAR more severe than a 223 can provide.  They also seen plenty of field usein all terrains.

Lever mount problems are usually operator error.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Grant says if you can lock it with one hand, your LaRue lever is not tight enough.

Yes, flipping a LaRue lever is suppose to hurt your hand. If it doesn't, its not tight enough.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Funny that lever tightened QD scope mounts that I am familiar with for hunting rifles never come lose and they get does after dose of recoil FAR more severe than a 223 can provide.  They also seen plenty of field usein all terrains.

I dont know what mount you are using but some branches wanked my eotech mount right off my weapon.  I had that mount so torqued that it left a groove in my rail system.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Grant says if you can lock it with one hand, your LaRue lever is not tight enough.

Yes, flipping a LaRue lever is suppose to hurt your hand. If it doesn't, its not tight enough.

I had it torqued so much that I left grooves in my Rail.  It was a bitch to push on yes but it still fell off
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Use the nut to adjust the distance between the lever and the rail - not the tightness of the nut after closing the lever.

Hey i stand corrected as soon as I get home I will try that I am concerned that it will damage the rail or the mount because it left grooves in my rail.  Is that normal?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know what mount you are using but some branches wanked my eotech mount right off my weapon.  I had that mount so torqued that it left a groove in my rail system.  

Leupold PRW and Warne Maxima QD rings mated with a 1913 rail.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I dont understand how people who do serious field work can trust a lever on there weapon.  My eotech larue eotech mount came right off when I tried to go through some bad brush last weekend I really like the mount so I secured the lever on the mount with some zip ties but damn that kind of defeats the purpose of the mount.  

I rememeber one time at fort hood I walked maybe fifteen meters into some really thick brush and the brush pulled my canteens and my NVG case right off my ALICE gear I had that shit taped to the belt too so I guess I should know better.  

LaRue has fixed this problem with their new line of mounts for the Aimpoint. They also fixed the problem where some Aimpoints would "rock" while in the rings by creating an easier mount to produce lessening the risk of this occuring. They are availibe from C4iGrant. They have also fixed many other problems and the new mounts are even better than the older ones which were already great! I love my older one and the new ones improve upon already near perfection. My mount though, doesn't come off easy at all it is reall hard to get off.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#13]
they are called zip ties. ... Also Dummy cords.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
some of the levers were out-of-spec. maybe you have one from the bad batch. give Larue a call and they'll replace it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Use the nut to adjust the distance between the lever and the rail - not the tightness of the nut after closing the lever.

Hey i stand corrected as soon as I get home I will try that I am concerned that it will damage the rail or the mount because it left grooves in my rail.  Is that normal?

I've run my LaRue stuff and a lot others through some real tough sh**, with no problems as described. The only thing that has been replaced as a result is my Harris bipod. It got hung up on an quick egress  big time in some medium/heavy foliage. Caught in the exposed springs.  

ETA: Yes, this was a MR class. In the real world,  I would be KIA as a result.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
bloodmoon-

Did you tighten down the front screw and use the Blue lotitie included.I cranked mine on pretty good after asking on the boards how tight is tight enough.

The reply I got was if it doesnt hurt your fingers it aint tight enough.I just dont see how a limb, brush etc. could pull it off.If installed correctly.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I think you will find LaRue is/has fast become the mounts to which others are judged.

Do some research on other boards and look at some of the folks endorsing them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#21]
i have never had any problems with any of my larue gear.

just wondering,  you have the eotech mounted to a surefire railed handguard?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Anybody have a pic of the new locking lever??  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Anybody have a pic of the new locking lever??  Thanks.

Do a search. It was recently posted in the Optics forum....the place where this thread should be.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Did you tighten down the front screw and use the Blue loctitie included.I cranked mine on pretty good after asking on the boards how tight is tight enough.

Just to be clear to anyone reading  this, the Loctite is used on the screws that secure the rings that hold in the optic. It is not used on the locking level.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:05:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1

Check back when you install your mount properly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top