Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 1:16:28 PM EDT
I am looking to strip out some semi-decent condition IMI mags for refinishing....I read on a post that carb cleaner would take off the old grease, oil and any "fowling".....I got a can of "Gumout Carb + Choke Cleaner" / Jet Spray / in a 16oz spray can......Is this the right stuff........Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
use break cleaner----carb cleaner leaves residue
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
After you use brake cleaner you need to wipe the mags down and put some gun oil on a rag. Wipe the mags down with the oily rag. Brake cleaner is good, but will solidify some stuff and leave some residue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
brake cleaner..
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
After you use brake cleaner you need to wipe the mags down and put some gun oil on a rag. Wipe the mags down with the oily rag. Brake cleaner is good, but will solidify some stuff and leave some residue.
View Quote

don't I need to get all oil and grease off prior to application of permasilk or brownells tef/moly?????? I was going to even use gloves so body oil would not stick......
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you need acetone for that.  Acetone is fingernail polish remover.

TS
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
This stuff reads: Contains acetone, xylene, methyl ethyl ketone, petroleum distillate and propane......

this stuff tastes like sh&t......just kidding...

so it sounds like I need brake cleaner.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe play it safe and get some BirchwoodCasey Gun Scrubber.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Brake clean and casseys gunscrubber are for the most part the same thing.

Carb cleaner does leave a residue.

If you want to buy the cheap brake clean @ $.99 a can then hit it real quick with gunscrubber, you would still save a lot of money.

USE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!!!!!!!

FWIW I don't buy the gunscrubber, too expensive.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used GUNSCRUBBER and BRAKE CLEANER and I'm convinced they're [b][u]THE SAME THING[/u][/b]! Brake Cleaner's way cheaper and easier to find but one thing I have to watch out for is moisture condensing on metal which gets very cold when spraying either of these products. I'm usually outside when spraying down gun parts because the fumes are pretty strong. Since the relative humidity where I live runs high most of the time, this may be more of a regional problem for me but I've found that using my air compressor to immediately "blowdry" the parts after spraying with cleaner keeps moisture from developing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I used brake cleaner to get rid of the big stuff, then used acetone with a cotton rag to clean the mags for a final time. Bought the acetone for a couple of bucks at a local auto parts store. Couple of shelves over by the brake cleaner. Hung the mags on some hooks and sprayed on the Perma-slik. Looks good and works great.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've used GUNSCRUBBER and [red]BRAKE CLEANER[/red] and I'm convinced they're [b][u]THE SAME THING[/u][/b]! Brake Cleaner's way cheaper and easier to find but one thing I have to watch out for is moisture condensing on metal which gets very cold when spraying either of these products. I'm usually outside when spraying down gun parts because the fumes are pretty strong. Since the relative humidity where I live runs high most of the time, this may be more of a regional problem for me but I've found that using my air compressor to immediately "blowdry" the parts after spraying with cleaner keeps moisture from developing.
View Quote

I gets mine free.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Avoid the non chlorinated brake cleaner if you can. I have found CRC or Berryman's brands(availble at NAPA and most auto parts) to be the best. I have found (usally when cleaning dirty pistols) that the non chlorinated stuff that you find at places like Walmart does not clean as well as the regular it leaves small spots of a white residue that is never present when using the chlorinated type brake cleaners. The residue cleans off but it an additional pain that I perfer to avoid. Wear latex gloves brake cleaner isnt good for the skin.[:D]  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This stuff reads: Contains acetone, xylene, methyl ethyl ketone, petroleum distillate and propane......

this stuff tastes like sh&t......just kidding...

so it sounds like I need brake cleaner.....
View Quote

The difficulty is the "petroleum distillates".  They tend to leave a residue.  Most "chlorinated" brake cleaners are primarily methylene chloride, which 100% evaporates taking with it oils and other grunge (as well as natural oils in your skin, so use gloves).

Carb and choke cleaner in the eye burns like a mother too (happens too often to be purely accidental in my case)

Geoff
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top