Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/29/2004 5:15:39 AM EST
I bought a jar of Moly-slide from Bushmaster thinking that it was a good thick lubricant that could be used on all my moving parts on my AR-15. I have recently found that this is not typically what it is used for, however can any harm come by using it? I paste up my bolt and a few other parts because it seems like a good greasy lube....... any thoughts? or suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:47:00 AM EST

Typcially Lube as in CLP (breakfree) or some sort of slick stuff (FP10, Millitec) is what you need for the moving parts of an AR. The grease attracts dirt/debris/junk alot quicker and can gum up.

About the only place to put any "Grease" type of lube would be in the buffer tube for the spring to quieten down and smooth that action out.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:54:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:57:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 5:58:46 AM EST by arhunt576]
I use white lithium greese on my AR: Barrel Nut, Buffer Spring.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:59:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By BookHound:
You'll get varying opinions on this subject. I run the crap out of my ARs and only use CLP. I do think there are better lubs, but the CLP does well for me. A lot can depend on your environment, climate, etc.

And the Crowd Chants CLP!! CLP!! CLP!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:05:22 AM EST
Buffer spring and barrel threads, Everything else get's CLP or FP-10.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:05:34 AM EST
WOW, so maybe when I get home, I should take apart my AR and clean all that gunk off and use what I have (which is Militec).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:37:01 AM EST
Another vote for CLP. It was the only lubricant that was used when I was in the Marines. Good enough for the Corps, good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:33:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jivana108:
WOW, so maybe when I get home, I should take apart my AR and clean all that gunk off and use what I have (which is Militec).

No.

Make sure you clean off ALL the grease (I recommend Simple Green) to avoid contamination, then lube everything generously with CLP.

Militec is great for a short while, then simply goes away. I don't understand why. Great for folding knives, lousy for guns.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:43:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By gaijin:

No.

Make sure you clean off ALL the grease (I recommend Simple Green) to avoid contamination, then lube everything generously with CLP.

Militec is great for a short while, then simply goes away. I don't understand why. Great for folding knives, lousy for guns.

Screw simple Green. If you soak it in Simple Green it will EAT aluminum. Granted he didn't say soak it, but anything that eats aluminum on a soaking wouldn't come close to my AR period.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:05:43 AM EST

I bought a jar of Moly-slide from Bushmaster thinking that it was a good thick lubricant that could be used on all my moving parts on my AR-15. I have recently found that this is not typically what it is used for, however can any harm come by using it? I paste up my bolt and a few other parts because it seems like a good greasy lube....... any thoughts? or suggestions?

Originally Posted By pulpsmack:

Originally Posted By gaijin:

No.

Screw simple Green. If you soak it in Simple Green it will EAT aluminum. Granted he didn't say soak it, but anything that eats aluminum on a soaking wouldn't come close to my AR period.

And what moving parts are Aluminum on your AR-15?

I'm talking bolt parts and bolt carrier here.

Short term exposure (not soaking and less than a couple of hours) to Simple Green will NOT attack the finish or integrity of the Aluminum on your AR-15.

Rinse well and follow with CLP - clean and lubed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:25:29 AM EST
I've been using CLP for about 25 years ever since I was given it to use in the Air Force. And it seems to work well. I'd also say that Hoppes Oil, Tetra, etc. all work well. The main thing is keep it clean and lubed. Save the Moly grease for the barrel nut. By the way I would agree with others, Militec seems to work well, but then seems to dry up. Perhaps it's still there and working, but I like to see a film of lube there.
Top Top