Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 3:24:01 AM EDT
I need the best DVD that can walk me though STEP-BY-STEP on how to build an AR lower.  I have a shit load of quality AR's built by several manufactures, but now is the time for me to stop fking around and start building my own...

My main projects will be only the lowers.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I used this book and it made it very easy for me!!!

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=559952

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:34:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I used this book and it made it very easy for me!!!

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=559952

www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=%20+%20559952

+1

Me too.

I use vise grips and lots of tape for the bolt catch pin and trigger guard.

Get/make the special tool for the takedown/pivot pin detents.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Heck the Build Your Own forum here has all the info you would need.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1

CLICK ME

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:

Worked great for me.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#7]
This site has all the info you need to build your own.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I used this video for my lowers:

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag/video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I did my first one using the info found on this website with absolutely no problems what-so-ever.  Don't be intimidated at all.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#10]
You first need to invest into some basic but needed tools.

Basic tools Link
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#11]
For those that have built a lower......

how hard is it to punch/push the roll pins for the trigger guard and bolt catch.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
If you have any mecahnical inclination whatsoever, it isn't hard at all.

If you want to get fancy, get a roll pin starter punch.

I like the vice grips to get it going and then carefully run it through wtih a punch.

Just go very slow, pay attention and wiggle things between blows.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no mechanical skill whatsoever and I put mine together just fine. Well, maybe not no, but changing my oil would be a chore.

I hear people complaining about the front take down pin all the time. When I did mine, I was expecting hell. I inserted the spring into the receiver hole. Then I used the take down pin itself to press the detent pin against the spring.
As the spring compressed, I slide the take down pin into the hole, rotated the pin so the detent indexed into the slot along the pin and I was done. First freaking try.

Where this may be difficult is if you do not have a lower receiver vice block. If the lower was loose, and you're trying to hold it between your knees, you're asking for trouble.  I guess the overall theme is to get the proper tools to do the job right. This means, you'll need the proper size punches. Possibly a roll pin starter. This will reduce any receiver marring. Brownells has a lot of this.
Use the painters tape in thick layers around vulnerable areas when hammering.

Buy a quality Lower Parts Kit. No mickey mouse brands.
When I build my lower, I bought the small springs and pins in a kit from CMMG. I then replaced the individual parts with upgraded items that I wanted. Such as, I wanted a Colt buffer retainer. Wilson Combat Bolt Release. Norgon ambidextrous magazine release. LMT ambidextrous safety selector. Magpul MIAD pistol grip. I used a Timney Trigger group which simplified installation with a set of KNS pins to hold it in place. Magpul M93b collapsible stock. Everything went into a SMOS billet lower very easily.

In the build it yourself section of this forum, they have excellent step by step installation notes with photos to guide you through the installation.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I used the armorer's TM, which is available from the AFRCOM document library, for my first build.  It includes a step-by-step process for disassembling and reassembling an AR from a pile of parts, and it's thoroughly illustrated.  Follow the assembly sequence and you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worked great for me.....

Same here. A monkey could do it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worked great for me.....

Same here. A monkey caveman could do it.

Fixed.

I'm a ham-fisted irish-italian drunk and I did it using the instruction here at Arfcom.  I used a hammer, some pliers, electrical tape, and a Glock tool (a punch).
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#17]
The AR really is ridiculously easy to build, compared to other guns. Use some of the guides on this site and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have no mechanical skill whatsoever and I put mine together just fine. Well, maybe not no, but changing my oil would be a chore.

I hear people complaining about the front take down pin all the time. When I did mine, I was expecting hell. I inserted the spring into the receiver hole. Then I used the take down pin itself to press the detent pin against the spring.
As the spring compressed, I slide the take down pin into the hole, rotated the pin so the detent indexed into the slot along the pin and I was done. First freaking try.

Where this may be difficult is if you do not have a lower receiver vice block. If the lower was loose, and you're trying to hold it between your knees, you're asking for trouble.  I guess the overall theme is to get the proper tools to do the job right. This means, you'll need the proper size punches. Possibly a roll pin starter. This will reduce any receiver marring. Brownells has a lot of this.
Use the painters tape in thick layers around vulnerable areas when hammering.

Buy a quality Lower Parts Kit. No mickey mouse brands.
When I build my lower, I bought the small springs and pins in a kit from CMMG. I then replaced the individual parts with upgraded items that I wanted. Such as, I wanted a Colt buffer retainer. Wilson Combat Bolt Release. Norgon ambidextrous magazine release. LMT ambidextrous safety selector. Magpul MIAD pistol grip. I used a Timney Trigger group which simplified installation with a set of KNS pins to hold it in place. Magpul M93b collapsible stock. Everything went into a SMOS billet lower very easily.

In the build it yourself section of this forum, they have excellent step by step installation notes with photos to guide you through the installation.

rock river makes this eazy with a two stage trigger lpk. quality parts.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
If you have any mecahnical inclination whatsoever, it isn't hard at all.

If you want to get fancy, get a roll pin starter punch.

I like the vice grips to get it going and then carefully run it through wtih a punch.

Just go very slow, pay attention and wiggle things between blows.

+1

Get a 1/8", and a 3/32" roll pin punch (about a $10.00 investment).  A monkey could do it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
At a celebrity book signing, I dumped my bag of parts onto a table in front of Chuck Norris - they assembled themselves.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
At a celebrity book signing, I dumped my bag of parts onto a table in front of Chuck Norris - they assembled themselves.

I gotta call .
We all know Mr. Norris put it together with his lightning fast hands. You just didn't see it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

how hard is it to punch/push the roll pins for the trigger guard and bolt catch.

The bolt catch is no problem...just put masking tape around EVERYTHING or you WILL scratch the lower.

The trigger guard...make sure the ears are supported well, because if you hammer on them and don't support them, they will break off.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
I used this book and it made it very easy for me!!! href=www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=559952

www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=%20+%20559952

+1 for me too! I didn't use it to build mine, but explains things in great detail.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bolt catch is no problem...just put masking tape around EVERYTHING or you WILL scratch the lower.

The trigger guard...make sure the ears are supported well, because if you hammer on them and don't support them, they will break off.

Use vise grips. You can "feel" better than with hammer strikes.

I use neddle nose pliars to hold the roll pins while I start them with the vise grips.

I use 6-8 layers of tape and just reuse it for subsequent builds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Use vise grips. You can "feel" better than with hammer strikes.

I use neddle nose pliars to hold the roll pins while I start them with the vise grips.

I use 6-8 layers of tape and just reuse it for subsequent builds.
Channel-locks work too, and you can get longer channel-lock pliers than vice-grips for less money.  I have a number of pairs, so I choose the one that's appropriate.  I'm about to change out my bolt catch (long story) and I'll use a punch to push the pin out, but my trusty channel-locks to replace it.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#26]
So I assume that the vice grips will just push the pins in place verses hammering them in..

thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So I assume that the vice grips will just push the pins in place verses hammering them in..

thanks

Yes. I sometimes use a light hammer/punch tap to set the pin evenly on both sides.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top