Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2012 7:51:28 PM EDT
Well im new to the AR world and am trying to decide what one item would be best bang for the buck between these three things to buy.

Choices are...

1. Compensator.. Between Effin-A and Griffin
2.Drop in single stage trigger prob Geissele or Timney
3.Vortex Sparc red dot sight

Not sure if I realy need any of the three but the one I do think would help me the most is prob the comp.. Now the optics would be nice I think but the irons serve me very well so far.. Any tips on why one would be better choice  then the other would be great.. Thanks

"Heres my baby now with some changes"

PSA 16 inch Mid Length Cold Hammer Forged Chrome lined upper.
Stag Complete Lower
JP Enterprises AR-15 REDUCED POWER Trigger Spring Kit
JoeBob's Trigger Adjuster
Magpul Moe OD stock
Magpul OD Moe + grip
Magpul OD Rear MBUS
Magpul OD Hand Guard
Magpul OD Front Hand Grip
Magpul OD Pmags
Magpul Rail Pieces
Magpul B.A.D Lever
Striker Industries OD Trigger Guard
KNS Precision Front Sight Post "Small Ball"
KNS Precision Gen2 Mod 2 Trigger Group Pins OD Green
Primary Arms Micro Dot
Tapco Sling mount
NZD Custom Engraved Zombie Charging Handle
Black Hills Tac Single Point Sling
Viking Tac mk4 light mount
Custom Solar Force LP Fkashlight Host with XML-U2 Cree Led
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
trigger
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to tell us what you want out of this AR but judging by those choices I'm thinking this is just a carbine with irons - i'd go red dot in that case
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Optic, trigger, comp; in that order.

You could go your entire life with a stock trigger and a birdcage FH.
A red dot will immediately improve your CQB shooting.
Master your irons for sure but out of those three things improve your sighting system first.
Look for the Aimpoint Pro to be on sale for around $350 and strike.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You have to tell us what you want out of this AR but judging by those choices I'm thinking this is just a carbine with irons - i'd go red dot in that case

Well better accuracy and less recoil is what I want and my three choices fix  one of those issues or both issues...   Target shooting,self defense
My setup:

Stag Lower
Stag Lower parts kits
PSA 16 inch Cold hammer forged chrome lined mid length upper standard A2 front sight
PSA BCG
PSA Bolt
Magpul MBUS Rear Sight
Magpul + Grip
Magpul Hand Guard
Magpul Front hand grip
Magpul MOE rear stock
Strike Industries Trigger Guard

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Optic, trigger, comp; in that order.

You could go your entire life with a stock trigger and a birdcage FH.
A red dot will immediately improve your CQB shooting.
Master your irons for sure but out of those three things improve your sighting system first.
Look for the Aimpoint Pro to be on sale for around $350 and strike.

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Geissele

ETA - As much as I want to like the Sparc, the reviews I've read haven't been very good
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Geissele

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ammo. Keep shooting until you become so familiar with the rifle that you know what your setup needs, and doesn't need, in order to do what you want it to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ammo. Keep shooting until you become so familiar with the rifle that you know what your setup needs, and doesn't need, in order to do what you want it to.

Sounds like a good idea
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Even with the best optics or comp, a stock trigger can only take you so far.

Trigger gets the nod for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Even with the best optics or comp, a stock trigger can only take you so far.

Trigger gets the nod for me.

I feel this way as well.  A decent scope or dot sight is pretty expensive and you are looking for value.
A nicer trigger will let you shoot better as your skills Get better no matter what configuration you are using with your rifle.
A comp is a waste of money IMO unless you really feel the very minor reduction of recoil is worth the cost and noise.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good idea

I disagree with all trigger comments - you're also looking at $200 for a red dot (I'd only suggest a $100 primary arms or a $600 aimpoint)

If you want to argue bench shooting accuracy the trigger comes first, but not in this case and I'm rather curious about the other posts in this thread now
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 2:02:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought an EOTech 512. Just first get used to your stock trigger. You may find that you love it as I have with mine.  I personally don't have a problem with the A2 birdcage flash hider, but do not have experience with other muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I have said it many times.... the Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger would be my choice for a single aftermarket item on an AR, if I could only have one.
My "desert island" pick, if you will.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Adding my voice to the trigger first crowd.
You can't even sight an optic well without a good trigger.

Some brands may come with a good stock trigger - neither Smith M&P15 nor Bushmaster were good enough.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well im new to the AR world and am trying to decide what one item would be best bang for the buck between these three things to buy.

ammo, and learn to shoot vs buying gadgets

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Some brands may come with a good stock trigger - neither Smith M&P15 nor Bushmaster were good enough.

LMAO, some of you guys need to learn trigger control. Here's a common 5 shot group from one of my old Noveske N4 uppers with a gritty factory trigger from my Stag lower. It was shot from a bipod and rear bag.

My vote is ammo. If you can't decide whether you need an optic, trigger, or brake, then you need to shoot more so you can make that decision on your own.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I had put off a new trigger for a while, once I made the jump and bought a geissle SSA I wish I'd done it sooner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#19]
This is what I did.

First I bought a Primary arms red dot. It looks and functions exactly like a Aimpoint, however not as durable.. I think after shipping I paid 70$ for it.. Awesome product awesome customer service.. Check there out Here

Use that for a couple months if you think you need or want something better, sell it on the Equipment exchange here and put that towards the next optic.. I promise you you won't be disappointed..

Upgrading your trigger definitely comes after an optic IMO. You mentioned you wanted a Geissele, good selection. However you also mentioned a single stage.. I could be wrong but I think they are all 2 stage triggers.

As far as "less recoil" the Ar-15 platform already has a low recoil.. If your new to shooting the AR-15 it might seem to have a little more kick then anticipated, that will change when your become more familiar with the rifle and how to control it. A muzzle break may seem cool but they have there downsides.. Hold off on this until your more familiar with your rilfe..

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#21]
well, Ive been a surfer for far too long and finally pulled the "Trigger" and registered on website. I guess Im more of a voyuer.
IMHO the  trigger for me fixed my bench groups tremendously. I went with the Chip McCormick drop in at 4lbs. I love it. No creep and single stage clean break

Next I went with the Comp. JP Industries, along with an adjustable gas block. Took the  jump, and muzzle flip right outta my 16Inch Heavy Bbl. Money well spent!  The JP Looks cool on the end and does "exactly" what it is intended for. provides quick and easy  follow up shots and re- acquiring target. Had bbl turned and hand fitted for the JP.

I went with optics first as I am a big coyote wintertime activist and the millet TRS1 does a fine job for a middle of the road scope.

IMO these three would be my approach again.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/cummin_of_age/AR.jpg
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Geissele.  Then optic and whatever else after those two.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Trigger, scope, then comp
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Red Dot/Scope
Comp
Trigger

Red Dot will make you aim better and make it easier o hit target consistently.
Comp will help with muzzle rise and recoil.
Trigger.....don't know.....make a more consistent pull. I guess that's how I'd word it.

Once you have a red dot you may not even feel you need any of the others. I was shocked at how accurate I could be with just a red dot. I have the Primary Arms Micro and love it!
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks all for the input.. I think if I buy anything soon it will be a trigger and of course ammo  I buy ammo as much as possible..     Im not saying I need a red dot for accuracy issues either Im very accurate with the irons ive been shooting all types of guns for years just over all new to AR 15 platform.. Ive shot them plenty just never owned one..  Red dot for me is more for getting on target faster.. I also do not believe the AR has a ton of recoil because it does not.. The comp is one of those things if it improves the gun even more to where muzzle flip and recoil is even less then it already is why wouldnt you want to buy one??? I do not care about noise level or a little extra flash either.. If I want quit ill buy a tax stamp and slap a silencer on it..
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Given that last post, I'd say go with the red dot. (I would have said ammo and practice, practice, practice before.) If you group consistently with irons, a RDS, IMO, will help you do it faster, as you mentioned about getting on target faster. I would try and go with something known to be reliable. As mentioned by others, the Aimpoint PRO is hard to beat for price, features, and company reputation for reliability. I have an EOTech 516 on one carbine now, and I like it, but I have a PRO coming (any day now, I hope) to put on another carbine. I think a trigger and a comp can help you fine tune things, but the RDS will make the biggest difference for quick 'point and shoot.'
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Given that last post, I'd say go with the red dot. (I would have said ammo and practice, practice, practice before.) If you group consistently with irons, a RDS, IMO, will help you do it faster, as you mentioned about getting on target faster. I would try and go with something known to be reliable. As mentioned by others, the Aimpoint PRO is hard to beat for price, features, and company reputation for reliability. I have an EOTech 516 on one carbine now, and I like it, but I have a PRO coming (any day now, I hope) to put on another carbine. I think a trigger and a comp can help you fine tune things, but the RDS will make the biggest difference for quick 'point and shoot.'

Thanks for good out look on it... I do group very well from 5 yards to 70 yards with Irons and im decent while on the move.. My personal range on my land consists of steep loose dirt hill sides with rocks and uneven shooting surfaces with deep creek beds.. I utilize all these areas into my target shooting to help me out if I was on the move in real life through these type of areas.. That is a huge reaosn I think a red dot would really help me.. When it comes to optics I fully understand get one that has a superb rep for tons of reasons the only main reason I thought about the Vortex Sparc was the life time warranty states that no matter what happens to it if it quits working or breaks for any reasonn that wasnt deliberate they will fix or give you a brand new one.. Plus the reviews seem very good.. Not saying it is by any means..   I have thou decided when I do go with optics im going to spend the cash on a good one like a AIm Point PRO or EO TEch  im not going to try to save a dime on something that could be the difference in me or my families lives..   Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the reticule of the EOTech, but you can literally leave a lot of the Aimpoint models on for years on the same battery. The EOTechs shut themselves after 6 or 8 hours and don't have nearly as long of a battery life. I was out shooting at swinging steel and the orange ground targets that jump when you hit them, at about 25 yards, and that EOTech ring is nice for that kind of shooting on the move. There are definite pros and cons to both, I think it depends on which unit's pluses suit your needs more.

I have heard a lot of good things about some of the Vortex and Primary Arms optics, but (with the Vortex, at least) you are almost half-way to the PRO. I don't have any personal experience with them, other than a 3x Primary Arms my brother has and likes, so I won't be one to talk them down.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I vote trigger first. Optic. Comp.
If you're interested in a Geissele I'd recommend Tier One Arms. They are a dealer here. They will beat anyone's price on these triggers and ship for free.
I bought mine from them. They ship fast. No disappointments.

Link.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I vote trigger first. Optic. Comp.
If you're interested in a Geissele I'd recommend Tier One Arms. They are a dealer here. They will beat anyone's price on these triggers and ship for free.
I bought mine from them. They ship fast. No disappointments.

Link.

Thanks for link..  When I make the jump on the trigger I will deff be getting it throught them..

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Trigger first.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I know its a late reply but I finally decided and went with a Primary Arms Red Dot instead of the Vortex, some Jp reduced power springs and a joe bobs trigger adjuster instead of dumping a bunch of cash into a drop in trigger.. Plan to buy a PWS comp soon with the saved cash..
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Good choice. Learn good trigger control first, you'll find you really dont need a fancy tuned trigger for a carbine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#34]
PSA has a deal going on right now where you can purchase an entire parts kit with an included SSA for $200. Buy the LPK, keep the trigger and sell the remainder of the LPK for $50-60 in about 30 seconds on EE. You just got yourself an SSA for $140-150!

...and it's in stock!!!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-lpk-g.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Well I know its a late reply but I finally decided and went with a Primary Arms Red Dot instead of the Vortex, some Jp reduced power springs and a joe bobs trigger adjuster instead of dumping a bunch of cash into a drop in trigger.. Plan to buy a PWS comp soon with the saved cash..

Given where you currently are in your purchasing plan, I'd suggest your next priority should be a good light rather than the PWS comp.

Unless you only plan to shoot during daylight hours ...

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I would personally buy a trigger, then save a little more for an Aimpoint, and skip the comp.

As someone who lives in a state that forbids a flash suppressor (meaning I have to have a pinned comp), with the exception of a dedicated 3 gun rifle, I would never ever put a comp on one of my rifles if I could choose otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
PSA has a deal going on right now where you can purchase an entire parts kit with an included SSA for $200. Buy the LPK, keep the trigger and sell the remainder of the LPK for $50-60 in about 30 seconds on EE. You just got yourself an SSA for $140-150!

...and it's in stock!!!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-lpk-g.html

not a bad idea
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Given where you currently are in your purchasing plan, I'd suggest your next priority should be a good light rather than the PWS comp.

Unless you only plan to shoot during daylight hours ...  

Id agree if I didnt already have a good light
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top