Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/29/2003 12:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 12:16:35 PM EDT by Robert-Rockler]
Hi everybody,
I was going to order a complete rifle from a local dealer who I thought was charging a fair price but when he got through adding all the shipping charges, ffl fees, special order fees, overcharges, and additional overcharges, that $735 AR was going to cost me nearly $1200 so I have decided to put my fears aside and build one myself.

This is what I have come up with so far and I am hoping that some of you will chime in with your own ideas and set me straight if I am going astray.
I will start with either a Rock River or Bushmaster stripped receiver and then simply buy a full kit from JT Distributing for $449. I cannot seem to find any other dealers of full AR kits. Does anyone know who manufactures the JT kits?

I would like to build either a 16" or 20" standard A2, nothing fancy for my first rifle.

What I am hoping is that someone will volunteer to be my mentor that I can email with questions during this process since I am a bit nervous about it.

Thanks, Robert Rockler
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:08:31 PM EDT
Sounds like a good plan. AR15.com IS you mentor. Just post your questions here and I'm sure many members will be happy to help out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:25:03 PM EDT
Look on the home page, on the left side for "Information," click it, & then click "Assembly." The only choice is "Lower Receiver." Click on the little red triangle & it will take you right through the steps. It's pretty simple although it would help if they told you up front, in the "Tools" section that you need 3 or 4 hands! Actually there were just a few little things that I had to adapt to when I built mine, but it was a Cav Arms lower so, there are a few little differences. (If you are going to build on the Cav receiver, they send a very nice instruction sheet that covers the differences.)
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:24:17 PM EDT
olympic Arms is running a sale on thier web site. 16" kits for $399 http://www.olyarms.com/specials.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:25:52 PM EDT
I built my lower using the directions listed on this site, a hammer, masking tape, a clevis pin, a paperclip, a screwdriver and a tenpenny nail as a punch. took 20 minutes. good luck on your new addiction, er, project. (one ar will soon become 5 or more) Chris
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 2:42:43 PM EDT by Quarterbore]
Building an AR isn't tough... Get your parts and take your time... Following is a photo essay of how I build a post-ban AR-15 pistol and it shows each step. [url]http://quarterbore.com/ar15m16/postbanar15pistol.htm[/url] I still haven't had the time to add text to the page but it gives you some photos to go with the suggested pages (listed above).
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:26:06 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies everybody. Right now I am looking at the JT Dist. and the Model 1 sales AR kits. The Model 1 seem to have more options on their kits than the JT and they are also $50 less in price. Naturally cost is an issue but not if one kit is superior to the other in which case the difference in price is of no relevance to me. What is the general opinion on this board about the difference in quality of these kits? Is one better than the other or are they both assembled from generic parts? I also need help with the terms used by the makers of these kits. For example, what does "NM" mean when describing the sights? Does it mean "new model" Also, what is the difference between an A1 and an A2 flashhider? would it be that one is the old M16 look and the other is the more modern look with the forked front? Mainly I am looking for yeas and nays on the Model 1 versus JT Dist.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:29:32 PM EDT
Where you at in Colorado? Send me an instant message if you don't want to post it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:02:50 AM EDT
NM = National Match. These sight have finer adjustments (1 click = 1/4" @ 100 yards, I think). A2 flash hiders are not slotted at the bottom, whereas the A1 version is slotted all the way around. When shooting prone, the A2 will not kick up as much dust from under the muzzle. I have no experience with JT or Model 1 kits, so I can't comment on that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:04:32 AM EDT
Keep in mind that if you are building a new rifle, flash hiders aren't really an option. You would be building a "Post Ban" rifle, many of the Post Ban kits are available with a mock flash hider, you can read up on the legal situation at the url below. [url]http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/preORpost.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:30:35 PM EDT
The J&T kits have the entire upper fully assembled. Yes, that means no barrel wrench, action block, etc need be purchased. My J&T kit functioned flawlessly out of the box, and in over 1000 rnds through it, not one single FTF for any reason. With Win Q3131a and SA battle pack ammo, at 100 yds, and iron sights and tired old eyes, I am getting 1.5"-2" groups offhand. All the parts look to be topnotch, and I have not changed or substituted anything. Especially the hammer, trigger, and disconnector looked to be excellent, and they have functioned perfectly. I can definitely recommend J&T/Doublestar, and plan to buy from them again.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:57:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 8:58:32 PM EDT by Dano523]
Robert-Rockler, You can pick up a RRA receiver from eagle arms for less than $100. Chris is located in Brighton. [url]http://www.eaglefirearms.net/Rock%20River%20Arms.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:06:34 PM EDT
you can shoot me an email or pm. I'll try to help.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:41:10 AM EDT
Again, Thanks to everyone who responded both here and by email. I have a RRA stripped receiver from Eagle Firearms on its way to my FFL and a J&T Dist. complete 20" A2 kit also on order so maybe I will have everything in my hot little hands and ready to assemble by next week. Robert
Top Top