Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2004 10:18:19 AM EDT
So can I legally remove my mini Y comp and replace it with a flash suppressor legally.  I know many in here have done it but there seemed to be a controversy as to whether the new suppressor would be legal by BATF standards.   Is silver soldering required in order to make this changeover legit?  How hard is it to silver weld these suckers on?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
if it has been beaten to death here and you still aren't sure, contact your state DOJ, just to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I figured someone here may have already addressed the legality of it with BATF.  I would rather ask on this forum then call some beaurocratic A-holes and ask them.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#3]
If the barrel is under 16" you must silver solder the new flash hider on and the barrel and flashhider must be 16" long total.

If you already have a 16" barrel no need to soder it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Roger that.  I have a 14.5 barrel with the mini y comp to bring it to 16.   I think I am going to try to tackle this job myself since I have all the tools.  The only thing I dont know how to do is silver sodering.   Anyone here a tell how?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Roger that.  I have a 14.5 barrel with the mini y comp to bring it to 16.   I think I am going to try to tackle this job myself since I have all the tools.  The only thing I dont know how to do is silver sodering.   Anyone here a tell how?

Sure the info is at The Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems fairly simple to do.   Im going for it.  The only thing that seems a little scary is to accidentally damage the threads when removing the comp.  If the threads get screwed up, I would imagine its time to buy a new barrel right?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on how badly they are damaged you would have to get a new barrel, or have your existing one re-crowned.

Its not that hard of a procedure. I did it myself. It took about 1.5 hours. Now that I've done one, it would take about 20 minutes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top