Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 2:35:23 PM EDT
i need some cheap plinking ammo and wold seems to win hands down when it comes to price. guy at the local gun shop says he shoots thousands of rounds through his ar and rarely has problems. my other buddy shoots it as well and also has no problems. oh forgott to mention they are shooting the magnesium coated rounds.

my question is i have read all of the threads on wolf and also read the articles people have written and im still debating weather or not its decent ammo. i know its more dirty than most ammo but its cheap. i would like some really good insight on weather or not i should shoot it. thanks for your time
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy some and shoot with it. It goes bang and shoots ok. I shoot wolf a lot because it's cheap and it works. You can't reload it, but it's cheaper to buy. Buy a few hundred round and decide for yourself whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i need some cheap plinking ammo and wold seems to win hands down when it comes to price. guy at the local gun shop says he shoots thousands of rounds through his ar and rarely has problems. my other buddy shoots it as well and also has no problems. oh forgott to mention they are shooting the magnesium coated rounds.

my question is i have read all of the threads on wolf and also read the articles people have written and im still debating weather or not its decent ammo. i know its more dirty than most ammo but its cheap. i would like some really good insight on weather or not i should shoot it. thanks for your time

I have fired thousands of rounds of wolf through my AR, not a single problem.  

Yes it is dirtier, and not the most accurate stuff out there, but it is, what is.

The extra few minutes you will be spending cleaning your AR, you can think of the $100 per thousand you just saved.

Yet I have found an alternative to Wolf, check out this website---> www.wisconsincartridge.com   $250 per K for 55gr. FMJ reloads, this is also great stuff.

The cheapest I know of for .223 wolf is sportsmansguide.com $210 per K.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you really want cheap plinking ammo, get a 22LR kit for your ar. It will pay for itself real quickly.  I cannot complain about mine, I have to say, get more mags and let the plinking begin.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you really want cheap plinking ammo, get a 22LR kit for your ar. It will pay for itself real quickly.  I cannot complain about mine, I have to say, get more mags and let the plinking begin.

i would go that route but 22LR is missing that *boom* that the 5.56 carries.
I've fired about 2k of LCM855P through mine, and about 5k of wolf. aside from small boxes of misc crap no problems. although ot as accurate, mine eats up the wolf just fine.  I get mine at www.centerfiresystems.com
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't belive the bad press you read on here.  Wolf is a very reliable commercially produced ammo.  I don't belive that it is any dirtier than any other ammo, or undr powered, which seems to be a big complaint around here.

I bet it will kill you dead just as easy as any other, and I know it will put holes in paper just as easy.

I shoot carbine matches with it all the time, they are set up just like IDPA matches, just with a carbine.  I score as good as I would with high dollar brass ammo.

Just buy some and shoot it, you won't be dissappointed.

Travis
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If your rifle won't digest Wolf in the 1000's, or it is hard on the rifle, you need a different rifle.

Wolf is fine in a properly built gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you had read the ammo review for Wolf, your questions would have been answered. There are hundreds of replies, and you can sift through them and find out what kind of problems people have. It seems like for 75% of folks, it works fine. For some, there are too many cases stuck in the chamber or they're unsatisfied with the accuracy.

The best bet is to buy 100 rounds and see if YOU like it.

i didnt know how old that review was. i started thid thread so i could get the latest info out there. i was interested in that magnesium coated stuff.

i just bought 1000 of black hills from cabelas. approx 40 cents a round
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
its the replacement for the lacquer coated ammo. it was designed to correct the jamming that the old ammo caused.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#12]
my sw m&p 15t will not feed it or eject all the time--my bushmaster works fine with it--my dpms also does not work work with it--my rra is unreliable with it--my buddies oly can not stand it--buy some try it if it works great--its cheap and keeps you banging away---i use seller and bellot or umc approx 325 per thousand and works in every gun like a champ
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#13]
ahh! the guy at the shop said it was magnesium... i was misled.

what about the 5.56 wolf? doesnt it have a little tighter clearances in the chamber?

im going to buy a few rounds of it and give it a shot after i fire 200 rounds of  black hills though the gun. im just curious
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]

The gun shop guy was probably referring to the zinc plated Silver Bear. Why he would assume it was Mg coated is beyond me. Wolf is good ammo if you're shooting inside of 50-75 yards.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
i did go to the wolf site and they said something about a 100% satisfaction guarantee. ill just shoot it and if im not satisfied ill claim it through them
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its the replacement for the lacquer coated ammo. it was designed to correct the jamming that the old ammo caused.

Oh!

That's not magnesium, but "poly".

The lacquer was never the problem in the first place, but they switched to "poly" because the "lacquer" had gotten a bad reputation. The problem is gas blow-by, because the steel cases don't expand as well as brass does. That leads to carbon build-up, and can cause cases sticking in tight chambers.

It can also pit a bolt-face can't it?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:37:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh!

That's not magnesium, but "poly".

The lacquer was never the problem in the first place, but they switched to "poly" because the "lacquer" had gotten a bad reputation. The problem is gas blow-by, because the steel cases don't expand as well as brass does. That leads to carbon build-up, and can cause cases sticking in tight chambers.

It can also pit a bolt-face can't it?

no

my carbine has over 20k through it and I have no pitting
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:16:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Wolf has run fine in all my AR's, SKS's and my AK.  I have had more issues with some of the more lauded brands.  And even then it is very, very rare.  No catastrophic failures of any kind.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Wolf works fine in both of my RRA rifles.  I will say that for me, the Wolf Military Classic groups tighter than the Wolf Black Box.  Supposedly, the MC and BB are made in different factories in Russia.  All I know is that both go bang every time and are perfect for plinking.  Buy some and you won't be sorry.  After you've gone through your first case of Wolf, you'll realize that you just saved $200 over the cost of factory new brass FMJ.  Heck, Wolf is at least $100 bucks cheaper than the factory reloads I've seen.  I don't know about you guys, but I'll take factory new steel cased ammo over factory reloaded brass cased ammo every day.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I have put well over 2000 rounds through my RRA, my Dads Superior, and a couple other AR's If you're shooting at the range IMHO it cant be beat. I have never had a bad round from them. and its cheaper than anything i have found thats readily availble. the extra 10mins cleaning you're gun is worth it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top