Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 5:34:56 PM EST
I just purchased a TP1 and after reading some forums, I regret ordering it. It should arrive to my house on Friday, and I'm going to send it back immediately! Can anybody reccomend a decent red dot under $150. I am a Sheriff Reserve Officer, and I won't be using it everyday for duty use. I'll use it at the range alot more like everybody else at AR15. My new Bushmast NOBAN M4 cost me a bundle and I can't afford a EOtech or a aimpoint. I just want a decent reliable red dot, without going broke and pissing my wife off (MORE). She just doesn't get the addiction. Thanks for the help guys.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:48:01 PM EST
personally I would mount it, take it to the range put a hundred or so rounds through then decide after that. just my couple pennys though. Im in the same boat as you though i got me a new bushy. but no money for proper optics
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:22:12 PM EST
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ve seen some of the other Tacpoint threads and recommend you take what you read here with a grain of salt. I do see several here that post on other, more respected forums, but I also see other folks that don’t know what they are talking about. I recommend you try the Tacpoint first, before you make your decision. My employer received a few of these for T&E and while none of us would put them on our trusted weapons we did take them home for general plinking and range use. When I’m in the states and have the time I like take the kids to the range and the Tacpoint does fine in that setting.

FWIW you should use it until you can save up for an Aimpoint or Eotech. I recommend Aimpoints because they have proven themselves to me and you’ll notice that several respected professionals think so too.

Use it and decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:26:29 PM EST
Thanks for the advice. I'm still going to send it back and save the $100 for a Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:30:46 PM EST
Use it, sell it. Someone around here will snatch it up, I bet.

(I said snatch, not pie)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:36:17 PM EST
Texas Tactical Gear says they won't accept it as a return if it's been mounted. I'm just going to send it back and save the trouble of trying to sell it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:52:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 6:54:39 PM EST by strick909]
The cheapest combat proven optic is the EOTech 511. It does not need a mount if you have a flat top. The tacpoint is more than decent for under $150. IMHO, you can not buy a better optic untill you get to the EOTech. MAP is $299.99 but you can get a better deal in the EE.
If you don't need a combat optic, I would stick to the tacpoint. For every one person who purchased it and did not like it, there a many more who think it's fine for the money. I know because I have both an EOTech and a Tacpoint.

And BTW, if you change your mind everytime you read a negitive post about something, you better be prepared to return ALL your gear. There are no sacred cows on this forum board. My advice is do as much research as you can BEFORE you buy anything. At least you will save in shipping!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:59:28 PM EST
I got a Burris Speed Dot 135.
I spent $185.00 on the 3moa red dot, and $50.00 on the riser mount from CMMG. I got the Burris from a local Gun shop. You should be able to find one. The quality is good, and you won't regret getting it. I've seen a couple of Pink dots (the ones that are real cheap like BSA), and you will regret mounting those. My setup co-witnesses perfectly. The only thing I did was paint over the "billboard" name on the sides of the optic.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:29:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By salival:

I’ve seen some of the other Tacpoint threads and recommend you take what you read here with a grain of salt. I do see several here that post on other, more respected forums, but I also see other folks that don’t know what they are talking about. I recommend you try the Tacpoint first, before you make your decision. My employer received a few of these for T&E and while none of us would put them on our trusted weapons we did take them home for general plinking and range use. When I’m in the states and have the time I like take the kids to the range and the Tacpoint does fine in that setting.

FWIW you should use it until you can save up for an Aimpoint or Eotech. I recommend Aimpoints because they have proven themselves to me and you’ll notice that several respected professionals think so too.

Hey partner, FYI, this just happens to be the largest firearms community on the web. Regardless of what forum you go to, there will be people who know what they're talking about and others who don't. The purpose of forums, as well as the internet in general, as well as other forums, is to allow for knowledge to be shared. We just happen to be the biggest and best at doing so. And if you feel there are so many uneducated posters out there, why have you been lurking so long and finally decided to post instead of helping out?

Anyway, Grock, if it makes shooting easier for you than irons, then it's fine. If not, send it back. You don't always need the most expensive equipment to do the trick especially out at the range. There are quite a few members on this board from Colorado. Try getting in touch with one of them and see if you could try their Aimpoint, EOTech, or other more pricy red dot scope. If you really see that much of a difference between that and your Tacpoint, then you'll have something to get after you return all your Christmas presents. If not, then you just saved yourself a bunch of cash.
Anyway, you might be able to pick up a used Bushnell Holosight (EOTech but in the civilian version, not waterproof, etc.) for around $150. Just hang around the EE and see what comes up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:45:23 AM EST
there ya go, save it for an aimpoint. there are some real deals on aimpoints on the EE, i just got a slightly used ML2 with a GG&G cantilever mount for $375 shipped.

cory
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:18:04 AM EST
Hey man the tacpoint is really not that bad. I had to sell mine because i didn't need it really and the finacial situation began get tight. I want to keep it looking at it, but i cant.

I didnt have any trouble selling it on the EE. i would use it until you get the denero for the one you want. Save up withing about a 100 bucks of it and sell it.

on my budget i have to slow down more than i like

jmho
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:22:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 3:24:10 AM EST by curt]
I wouldn't go with anything else other than an aimpoint with an eotech a distant second on any duty or defensive weapon. You're far better off spending some quality time with your irons.

I wouldn't have any problem with a cheap redot for playing around at the range or even for 3 gun matches, but when lives may be at stake any modification done to a firearm should improve the probability of stopping the badguy with minimal impact to reliability.

BTW Grock19, kudos for realizing your mistake and not trying to rationalize it away.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:46:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By 300ultramag:
there ya go, save it for an aimpoint. there are some real deals on aimpoints on the EE, i just got a slightly used ML2 with a GG&G cantilever mount for $375 shipped.

cory

Great suggestion. I've also seen older Aimpoint Comps sell for just a hair over $200 if you look hard enough.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:52:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By caneau:

Originally Posted By salival:

Hey partner, FYI, this just happens to be the largest firearms community on the web. Regardless of what forum you go to, there will be people who know what they're talking about and others who don't. The purpose of forums, as well as the internet in general, as well as other forums, is to allow for knowledge to be shared. We just happen to be the biggest and best at doing so. And if you feel there are so many uneducated posters out there, why have you been lurking so long and finally decided to post instead of helping out?

He's probably talking about sites like Tactical Forums or Lightfighter and to a certain degree he's right. Do you ever wonder why guys like Pat Rogers, James Yeager & Denny Hansen (to name a few) don't post over here? Think about it for a while or go over there and lurk for a short time and then you will understand why. Since you've been here a short time I'll tell you that when they did post their "professional" opinions and experience over here they were mocked, called out on the carpet and upstaged by...well, you get the point. I love this place but just because it's the biggest doesn't mean shit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:55:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:58:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:

He's probably talking about sites like Tactical Forums or Lightfighter and to a certain degree he's right. Do you ever wonder why guys like Pat Rogers, James Yeager & Denny Hansen (to name a few) don't post over here? Think about it for a while or go over there and lurk for a short time and then you will understand why. Since you've been here a short time I'll tell you that when they did post their "professional" opinions and experience over here they were mocked, called out on the carpet and upstaged by...well, you get the point. I love this place but just because it's the biggest doesn't mean shit.

+1

C4

Make that +2
Top Top